It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2003, 03:44 PM   #1
(male)

TPB HB User
Question Surgery for Flat feet

I am a 37 yom, and seeing a surgeon for possible surgery to correct flat feet. The procedure they are recommending is and "Evans Osteotomy" and "FDL Transfer" with achilles lengthening. I've read a few posts that are less than encouraging about flat foot surgery. Does anyone have any experiences with these procedures...good or bad? I'd really like to hear from someone who's had this procedure and what the outcome was. The doctor says it's a very good procedure and should be very helpful, but I'd feel better hearing from someone else as well. Thank you in advance for your time and response!

Old 02-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #2

little_emt HB User
I had surgery for flat feet last year but i am not sure if it is the same procedure you are having done. My doc did somthing on me he ussally does for kids who feet are still growing. i am 17 so my feet has quite growing. my feet aint flat as they were but now it hurts where they lenghented my tendon and inserted a cork under the bone. But of course i walked on my foot before i was suppose to. So i probely had something to do with the problems i have now. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2003, 07:38 PM   #3
(male)

TPB HB User
I'd have to say that if flat feet were the only problem, I'd likely not even be considering any of this. Unfortunately, I have daily pain, that radiates all the way up to my lower back at times. I have worn custom orthotics for over 15 years now with no real help. So, thank you for your advice, but I doubt that even Dr. Mirkin wouldn't call mine "assets".
In addition, I read a study that a large percentage of those undergoing total knee replacement surgery had flat feet.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-06-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
(female)

sunny77 HB User
Re: Surgery for Flat feet

A good board is the "Posterior Tibial Tendon Surgery" one, which goes over some of what your dr is recommending. I am 4 days post-op and had the Evans Osteotomy and PTT repair. I am in a splint and non weightbearing and the pain isn't too bad right now (each day has been better), though I am taking Percocet and something else. I was told the Evans procedure has been around for a long time and that the results tend to be very good. No marathons or extreme sports are in my future, but getting back to being active is definitely going to happen! Hope that helps!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
(male)

uncgrad HB User

I am scheduled to have a calcaneal osteotomy with achilles lengthening in 5 days. I am a little nervous about the whole thing, but hopeful. The extent of the recovery is intimidating. Sounds like your surgery went well. Let me know how you progress, i.e., when the pain totally subsides, when you are able to bear weight on it again, the appearance of your arch, etc.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User

Hi, I started a thread below called "Posterior Tibial Tendon Surgery" before I went in for my surgery. Mine is exactly like yours, although I didn't need to have my achilles lengthened. My doctor was looking at the possibility of fusing my navicular/cuboid joint, but we ended up avoiding that.

I'm at 10 weeks (almost 11) post-op and things are going great with my recovery and healing. Just remember that it is a LONG recovery period with this type of surgery... but in my case I think it will be worth it once I come out the other end.

I'd suggest reading the thread below, and there are a lot of people here who can answer any questions you have.

Good luck!
Deb

Old 06-05-2007, 04:18 AM   #7
(female)

LikeWow HB User

my left foot is flat because i have a degenerated ankle which needs replacing... however my right one is fine. strange.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
(female)

joyce ann77 HB User

Hi all,

I am new to this particular board and need to have PTT reconstruction of my flat foot and torn PTT. I hope you all are doing well and are happy you had this type of surgery done. These boards are important for those who need good support groups as I know from my experience with my thumb surgery. There are so many good tips and well-wishing and more.

Big question: Was it worth it? Are you much better than before the surgery? This is a big concern for me since the recovery period is long. My doc says the success rate is about 80-85 % and I would like to hear from you who are recovered or nearly recovered. This would be so important for me and I will be most appreciative.

Best regards,

Joyce Ann

Closed Thread