It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

ducky03 HB User
Plantar fasciitis?

I've been having a painful left heel-- feels like it's very bruised even though I haven't done anything to my knowledge that would make it feel this way. I think it may be plantar fasciitis, as that is the only thing that I've found that describes the feeling as a bruise. But evey link I've found says it is a result of overuse due to running/jumping/standing on concrete floors for long periods of time....none of which I've done lately, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this can just come on randomly without injury due to running/juming, etc. I had the same thing maybe about 6-12 months ago (again with no real reason that I could think of) and it lasted maybe about a week or so until it just went away like it came. Walking on my toes on that foot alieves the pain, but I've just put an ACE wrap on it so I can walk normally so I don't look like a dork in public

Old 10-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
(male)

rdwyer HB User
Re: Plantar fasciitis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky03 View Post
hmmm... anyone know?
Hi Ducky,

I saw this post looking into advertising opportunities for a client of mine and noticed your post. I couldn't resist not replying because my mother suffers from plantar fasciitis and just had an orthopedist perform orthoscopic surgery on the tendon beneath her heal due to chronic inflammation.

I'd suggest getting it checked out by a foot doctor. It's one of those nagging ailments that won't go away unless you take the steps to alleviate the inflammation. This could mean, wearing inserts, orthopedic friendly shoes, doing a series of stretches, eating ligament/tendon friendly diet, massage, and exercise. Ice helps as well.

Hope this helps,

rdwyer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
(female)

relteach HB User

I've had plantar fasciitis and to me, the pain did not feel like a bruise. It was much more intense. Walking on my toes did not relieve it. I suggest you see a podiatrist as soon as you can. I had no injury to precipitate my bout with it--I just walked quite a bit. A podiatrist could determine what the problem is. I use over the counter arch supports always in all my shoes. You could invest in some and see if there is a difference while waiting to see the doc.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
(female)

ducky03 HB User

Thanks guys, it's still just in the annoying phase. I'll try ice if it hurts worse. Right now, I don't have insurance, and it's not bothering me enough to pay out of pocket. I have very high arches, so don't know if arches would work in shoes or not. I also have realized the really bruised feeling is ever so slightly to the inside of the heal, and it feels bruised even just pressing in hard....so maybe I really did just bruise it somehow.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I was curious if it was an injury that could occur spontaneously without being an runner/athlete, so that was interesting to hear (if plantar fasciitis is what it is) that it's happened to others as well.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
(female)

ducky03 HB User

Ps. It does hurt a bit more if I've been sitting for awhile, or when I get up in the morning and forget and put full weight on it, but it's not like extreme pain. This "bout" or whatever it is is less painful than the first one I had-- that was still kinda hurt even when walking on my toes and was more painful overall.

I also get bursitis (first got it when I was 17ish--I'm 23 now), but none of the bouts are as painful as the first time (when I'd wake up in the middle of the night so much in pain that I would be in tears). So maybe this is something similar. Whatever the case, I'm trying to eat healing foods (not pro-inflammatory), as I'm pretty sure I've got lots of inflammation in my body.

Last edited by ducky03; 10-27-2007 at 07:47 PM.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
(female)

jconkle5 HB User
Angry Re: Plantar fasciitis?

I am suffering from pretty much the exact same problem. I had it once before, years back, but then I was at a desk, and it cleared up. But now, I am working mostly on me feet, and by the end of the day, I am almost limping, my heels hurt so. I have bought insoles, shoes with extra sole to cushion my feet, but my heels do feel like the bones are bruised, and in the morning especially, it is almost impossible to put weight on my feet. It is really hard for me because I love to go walking, and I hope I am not going to have to be sitting on my behind all the time to keep from hurting. I also relate to the no insurance and no money problem. I would love to go to a foot doctor, but right now, there is no way!
Julie

Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

I also have PF and have done many things to try and get it to go away. Try looking up stretches for PF and do these before you get out of bed, when you sleep the fascia contracts, so that is what makes it painful when you get up in the morning or after sitting for awhile. Also, I find it helpful to freeze a bottle of water and then roll my foot over it. As well there is something called a night splint and that is helpful for keeping the fascia stretched while you are sleeping, or if you can't stand to where it at night, you can where it while watching tv or reading etc. at least for a few hours. The only way to get it to heal is to stop what you are doing, i.e. walking for exercise etc. try the recumbent bike instead. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
(female)

Sweetgal175 HB User

I was told that I have Plantar Faciitis about 3 weeks ago. I noticed my heel was starting to really bother me constantly for 2 months before I went to the doctor. I stand up at my job for 12 hours at night and I have to do a lot of walking. My foot has gotten worse! I have tried ice, heat, every shoe insert, differnt types of shoes, stretches.... I haven't been able to go to work for the last 2 weeks. I have seen my regular doctor twice and I am going again next week. Also I have a appointment with my foot doctor in 2 weeks. Anyone have any suggestions? Or found relief? It is really a painful condition, it feels like a knife stabbing in my heel every time I walk. It's starting to effect my ankle, leg and knee. Thanks

Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
(female)

jconkle5 HB User

I wish I had something to tell you, I limped to the car after 4 hours on my feet, by the end of which I could have cried. It felt like my heels were up into my knees, the pain is awful. I am going to the doctor's office tomorrow to pick up an order from her to have a stool to use for at least part of the time. If I can't, I am going to have to take a leave of absence.
Julie

Old 11-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
(female)

KyliaG HB User

Hi, I'm new to these boards but I do know a little bit about plantar fasciitis. Ouch! Night splints are definitely the way to go, but be sure you get a comfortable one. I recommend the N'ice Stretch night splint. I think it's the only one with cold therapy built in- you just pull the little ice pack out of the back of it and you get the ice benefit + stretching. Good luck! Stretching and a good orthotic in your shoe during the day will also help.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-02-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 11-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User

I have/had plantar fasciosis, which is wear the tears start to scar, tear, and then rescar continuously. I always had flat feet, but significantly tore my arch during a college soccer game. I was never crazy about the PF release surgery, but recently had minimally invasive TOPAZ surgery, which is a fairly new procedure. Im 2 1/2 months post surgery, and have no pain and am doing great, although Im still not back to running and full workouts. Since the tear, I dealt with it for 2 years, and it only got worse. Physical Therapy, ultrasounds, stretching, heel cups, orthotics, and night splints all seemed to do nothing. The only time I felt comfort was when I was put in a walking boot right after that season had ended, but the pain came back as soon as I started training again. At my next doctor's visit we're scanning my foot for some custom orthotics. I never had any luck with regular store bought ones, but these are supposed to be amazing. Theyre made for every type of shoe and activity (general athletics, cycling, skiing, snowboarding, football, basketball, hockey ice, etc). They make them for everything! They also make ones for heels and dress shoes which are narrower and can be worn to work or out. Hope this helps. If anyones interested in the surgery feel free to reply or message me.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
(male)

velo67 HB User

I just had Topaz surgery on a tendon at my elbow 6 days ago and was placed in just an ace bandage with limited motion. I was wondering about how long it was before you began to notice relief in the tendon pain. I have not noticed much of a change at this point. Can you give me some idea of the time line on your experience. Hope all is going well. Thanks

Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User

Right now your elbow is probably still sore from the surgery. It may take a few weeks for that to go away. I was obviously sore from the surgery for quite a while, and on crutches as mine was pretty extensive. By the 6th week I was up on my feet for long periods of the day with lots of walking without any pain. I wasnt able to start working out till just recently, but that was because of a different and unrelated medical issue. Now that I'm back to full workouts I feel great. No pain so far. Stay positive and take it easy for a little bit so it can heal.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I had my first experience of heel pain a couple years ago after running and happened to land on a rock with my heel...man it was painful to walk I had no idea what to do.(I didn't go to the doctor) The night splint worked a little but I couldn't walk far during the day and then had to just stop walking and rest my foot...it was at the time only in my right heel. So I experimented around and found great relief in those gushy gel pad inserts for the shoes. Gosh those things really do work!...discovered I only needed the heel ones and had little to no pain when I walked. You can buy them at the grocery store or where ever you shop by Dr. Scholls gel pads. Can't say enough about them! The fascitis is back and so the first thing in the mornings are painful if I dont' put on my gel pad shoes right away. It seems now it is just chronic in both feet/heels. I guess it comes and goes whenever it feels like it. I never did anything special to bring it back it just is.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #15
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User

Ann... just a suggestion for the morning pains. Before you get out of bed in the morning trying giving yourself a little foot massage using baby oil or lotion. Start from your heel, pushing down with your thumb, all the way up to the ball of your foot/toes. Use quite a bit of pressure, but not so its real painful or anything. This will help lengthen the pf and stretch it out. If you can, try it a few times a day.

Closed Thread