It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
(female)

tata73 HB User
Cast Off....Now What????

I wore a cast for 9 weeks for a stress fracture. I have now had the cast off for 6 weeks and my foot and ankle are still swelling and there is some redness on the foot and ankle. I also have little veins popping up that I never had before. Is all of this normal or does it warrant a call to the doctor? I don't really have any pain where the fracture was but I do have a very sensitive area along the top of my foot. I have done some exercises that the doc recommended and am getting back range of motion. I am just so frustrated. I can't wear my regular shoes. I am wearing tennis shoes all the time because I can't get my foot into anything that doesn't lace or have any "give." Can someone point me in the right direction. I am so tired of all this. I thought if I did what the doc said and wore my cast I would be much better. I was not prepared for this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Cast Off....Now What????

i also wore a cast for 11 weeks for a toe fusion. i had to buy boys gym shoes because my foot was so swollen. it takes a year for the swelling to go down, but it will. i was more frustrated than you and to this day i dont fit into alot of my shoes, but that is also due to the fact my big permanately sticks up. just give it more time and slowly but surely you will fit into your shoes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

I had surgeries for severe bunions.
Bone cuts to five toes between the two feet.
Anyhow, the swelling lasts for a long time at least some for 5-6 mos.
I had veins that popped out too and that all goes away eventually.
I had to walk on the heel of my foot with a cam walker on each foot for six weeks and had all sorts of veins, like spider veins on the heels of my feet and was freaked out because of how bad they looked.
However, all of this stuff resolves itself with time.
Truly it does.................

Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
(female)

relteach HB User

I was in a cast for 15 weeks and what you describe is normal. I certainly experienced the same. I have been out of the cast since June 9 and I STILL have some slight swelling and stiffness. I went to PT during the summer to increase ROM and it helped, but my ankle is still stiff a good deal of the time. I was told to continue home exercises and to figure it will take the same length of time I was in the cast to regain all my movement and maybe longer due to a foot fracture.
Be patient with yourself. It will take time.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

just think in terms of a whole year.

Closed Thread