It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
(male)

asian_al HB User
People who have had Jones Fractures...(Relteach and others)

I was searching for a messageboard where other people have expierenced the dreaded Jones Fracture.

I'm glad to hear that you can place full weight Relteach

I got my jones fracture July 25th, 2007 playing a show with my band. I sing and i jumped and came down on it wrong. I was put in a fiberglass cast and crutches for 2 1/2 months. During that time my doctor said the bone has been healing slowly but he thinks that it will heal completely.
Just 3 days ago i finally got my cast off. Now i'm still on crutches but am able to wear 2 shoes. It's so tempting to place full weight on it because i feel no pain in my foot at all.

I need advice. Should i keep waiting, should i put some weight on it? or should i get surgery?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
(female)

relteach HB User
Re: People who have had Jones Fractures...(Relteach and others)

Hi Asian Al--
I, too, really struggled for months with trying to find some info from people living with jones fractures! I don't have to tell you what a difficult break this was. My suggestion would be to have a frank discussion with your doc about whether weight bearing is indicated at this point. You indicated that you are only 40% healed. I know it took me from March 1 to July 9 to get to about 50%. I was in a fiberglass cast until June 9 but totally NWB until I hit 50% in July. I was in an aircast pneumatic boot. Honestly, that was more comfortable than any shoe was. I could take it off to shower and sleep, but used crutches until the end of July when I went partial WB. By mid-Aug. I was full WB, but still in a boot. After Labor day, I was freed of the boot unless I was in pain or walking on uneven terrain. Just last week, I was given the all clear and freed from my doc. The bone finally healed all the way-after 8 months!!!!
I also suggest that you ask about a walking boot or aircast for when you do begin WB because I found that my foot was supported well and I felt secure that I could not do any damage. A jones fracture is the worst fracture that one could have in the foot because of the ease with which it happens and the very slow healing due to poor circulation. All it would take to delay union of the bone is a twist of your foot in the right (wrong) place. I tell you, I still wear the boot if I am walking anywhere where I might lose my footing. I am terrified of having to go through this ordeal again (talk with your doc about your risk of re-fracture--it typically is high for many people).

I discovered from my doc last week that in 18yrs of private practice I was his first jones fracture that actually healed to full union without screw fixation. Usually by 2 months out they can tell if union is going to happen and you seem on your way. Just be patient. It will take quite a while, but hopefully you will have a great outcome. I truly am with you in spirit and I know EXACTLY what you are going through. Which foot is it? I broke my right foot and learned to drive with my left-LOTS of fun!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
(male)

asian_al HB User

It was my left foot. I couldn't imagine tryin to drive with my left! i bet that was fun lol

Yea it sounds like our fractures are quite similar. I was also in a fiberglass cast for 2 1/2 months. I was pretty surprised that he didn't give me a walking boot, i guess it must be healing pretty well if he's that confident in letting me wear 2 shoes. I go back on Halloween, and hopefully he'll tell me i can put a little weight on it. Hopefully i'll be the 2nd person who completely heals without surgery.

I hope the best for your foot, and that you don't refracture it , which i don't think you will. How did you break yours again?
She'd fallen down to

Old 10-25-2007, 02:23 AM   #4
(female)

relteach HB User

I broke it walking along a paved walkway where there was a slight dip in the concrete. I was wearing a sandal that had no backstrap. The my heel went into a slight depression and my foot slipped out of the sandal and twisted under. I did not fall, just stumbled, but the force of the twist broke the bone. Freak accident! Needless to say, my doc says to forget slide sandals for the rest of my life!

The Following User Says Thank You to relteach For This Useful Post:
808guy (04-23-2011)
Closed Thread