It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
(male)

kiddhan625 HB User
Ankle Arthscopy

Hey guys, just wanted to share my experience and post a few questions.

I am 28 year old Male who recently (2 weeks ago) had an Ankle Arthoscopy done. I started to feel severe pain in my right ankle 7 months back while jogging on the treadmill. Made nothing of it but the pain did not go away. Went to see a Podiatrist who tried a cortisone shot. Nothing worked and nothing showed up in the MRI or CAT Scan. Doctor suspected scar tissue was the problem caused from previous ankle sprains.

So during the surgery the doctor found white webbing all over the ankle joint. He said this was due to the history or ankle sprains. The webbing was preventing the joint from moving freely. He said usually with the scope the ankle joint is clearly visible but in my case it was hidin by all this webbing. He cleared and removed all the webbing. I had a soft cast on for a week and then was put in a boot for another. Now that I am walking on it I have the following questions:

1. There is swelling. Is this normal?

2. I don't have touch and feel sensation on the top of my two big toes (where the hair is). I have sensation every where else. I can only feel pressure at these two points and that is it. Is this normal or could the swelling be causing this? The doctor said it should go away with physical therapy and reduction in swelling.

3. I tend to have pain in my big toe. Almost at the point where the toe bends. Its random shooting pain. Never had this before. Started as soon as the cast was removed. Is this normal?

4. Any other feedback or suggestions you guys could provide would be great.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
(female)

relteach HB User
Re: Ankle Arthscopy

Well, I can only offer my experience following a cast. Since you had trauma to your foot and ankle (the arthroscopy) some swelling is perfectly normal as fluids and blood are trying to provide all that is needed for healing in your foot. The swelling could very likely be causing some of the numbness and pain in the toe-swelling adds pressure to the nerves in the foot and it would not take much pressure for the nerve to be affected. I had numbness in my toes the entire time I was casted for a broken 5th metatarsal--15 weeks. And the numbness gradually subsided as the swelling did over time. Be patient. It could never be a bad idea to have a frank talk with your doc about your sensations and concerns--his/her job is to treat you and you need to heal. Stress about what is happening can hamper healing, too. When concerned, don't hesitate to ask the doc. That's what they are there for!!

Closed Thread