It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

rugbygirl416 HB User
brostrom surgery- help!

hey all!

i'm supposed to be getting the brostrom procedure done this winter. i'm 18, really athletic (rugby and dance- weird combo... i know) and i'm really worried about this surgery. i've had really bad ankle problems for several years and i'm glad i'm finaly doing something to fix it, but i'm going to HATE being inactive for so long. i know about the procedure, but i'd just like to hear some advice from people who've actually had it done, so i know what to expect. how long did your recovery take? how bad was the pain? have there been any complications? i'd be really grateful for ANY stories/advice you can give to me!! i'm all ears (or eyes... i guess)!

Thanks so much for your time!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User
Re: brostrom surgery- help!

Hey, I know that this response is really late, but I had a Brostrom done back in June, so I can tell you a bit about my experience. I'm 17, and I do track and dance, so I understand where you're coming from.

My surgery was fine. In an out in a day (I spent about 8 hours at the hospital total).

The first 2 1/2 weeks were pretty painful. If I moved my leg at all in the wrong direction or too much or anything, I would get a sharp pain that hurt like anything. I did however have a PainBuster and an ice cooler, so that helped a lot. I was prescribed Tylenol #3, but I didn't use that much. I slept most of the day.

After the first 2 1/2 weeks, things got a lot easier. I got taken out of the huge surgical cast, and got put into a regular, fiberglass cast. I was allowed to start weight-bearing as tolerated (I ditched the crutches completely about 2 days after I got the go ahead to weight-bear).

All in all, I was in a cast for 6 weeks.

When the cast was removed, I was put into a brace, and started physical therapy.

I was in PT for about 2 months I think, and that's all. It wasn't bad, just normal stuff, range of motion, strength, all that.

I'm now almost 5 months post-op, and yesterday, I had my final visit with my surgeon. I'm FREE! The one thing that I can't really do that much still is run, just because it still hurts my ankle afterwards, but, my surgeon said to expect that until about a year post-op, so, I'm good go go!

For more detail about the recovery, you can check out my threds:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=497479&page=3[/url]
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=517723[/url]
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=521634[/url]

Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
(female)

tess50 HB User
Wink Re: brostrom surgery- help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbygirl416 View Post
hey all!

i'm supposed to be getting the brostrom procedure done this winter. i'm 18, really athletic (rugby and dance- weird combo... i know) and i'm really worried about this surgery. i've had really bad ankle problems for several years and i'm glad i'm finaly doing something to fix it, but i'm going to HATE being inactive for so long. i know about the procedure, but i'd just like to hear some advice from people who've actually had it done, so i know what to expect. how long did your recovery take? how bad was the pain? have there been any complications? i'd be really grateful for ANY stories/advice you can give to me!! i'm all ears (or eyes... i guess)!

Thanks so much for your time!!
Hi I know its a bit late but iv just had it done,im 50 with severe arthritis,i had no choice my quality of life was so bad and the pain,so far so good i am home now after a week in hospital,i have a plastercast to my knee and sutures in and can weightbare with a special shoe very suprised but my surgeon wants this,i live in a flat so i am staying put 6 weeks as i have no lift,but have everything to keep me busy and someone to help me,i have the sutures out 21st and then xray see the surgeon if alls okay i get another plaster until 21st december.I was quite good after the op.the second day aftr i used a morphine pump because of the ache but i wouldnt say it was screaming pain just a bit uncomfortable,i was used to pain before the op.I find when i weightbare its a bit uncomfortable inside of the ankle but maybe its the plaster thats rubbing too.Aparently this is normal,i just want to run before i can walk i suppose.The best Xmas present for me ever is to walk properly again nothing else matters.So up to now im doing okay will tell you my outcome when im back from hospital 21st takecare.If it works then its been worth it.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
(female)

tess50 HB User
Wink Re: brostrom surgery- help!

i hope i am like you and recover well,im still very nervous it is only 2 weeks since the op.but i must think positive,i think the plastercast is the uncomfortable for me as im just 9stone and its very heavy and when i weightbare is rubbing on my inside ankle but 21st will be removed il let you know,i expect no pain at all but i suppose im too anxious ,is this normal.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
(female)

jadenak5 HB User
Re: brostrom surgery- help!

I just had this surgery yesterday, and it was not near as bad as I thought, I have little to no pain right now, with the medicine they gave me.

The Following User Says Thank You to jadenak5 For This Useful Post:
adio24 (03-05-2012)
Closed Thread