It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2003, 03:03 PM   #1

randigale HB User
Post 6 weeks post bunion surgery...

I just read all of your posts - they are making me feel better about my current situation.

I had bunion surgery 6 weeks ago - they cut the bone in 1/2, shift it over like an earthquake and put in 2 screws. I also had 2 of my toes straightened and shortened.

I have had a horrible recovery (or maybe I am just not dealing well). I was on crutches for 2 weeks and then was walking with a cane for 2 weeks. I am STILL in the lovely blue shoe (i actually just got a black one for nicer occasions). I am 1 week into physical therapy and I have 3 more weeks to go.

The 1st 2 weeks after surgery were HELL. I was a mess. But it has gotten better from there.

Today, 6+ weeks later, my foot is still swollen - but getting better everyday. My big toe is really stiff and pointing in... so i need to keep it splinted everyday. The physical therapy is working, but i still have a little bump where the bunion was. They say it is just scare tissue and swelling, but i am getting to the point (6 weeks later) that I don't think it will go away.

I want my big toe straight and a minimal bump - all with no pain. I think, after the hell of the surgery, I am not asking for much...

ANY ADVICE?

Old 04-26-2003, 01:33 PM   #2
(female)

szcbassoon HB User
Cool

Hi ,
Hang in there, you are doing fine.! I had surgery 8 weeks ago, and feel very good. I was on crutches with a cast, (non-weight-bearing) for 6 weeks! But the time has gone by fast and I kept busy working. Keep the swelling down with ice. At night I put an ice pack on my foot., that helps a lot. My surgeon also has me still in that attractive shoe for 3 more weeks..(I ordered a nice one on line that looks like a sandel. I also had my big toe fused with 2 screws and there is no pain at all..take it easy.
You will heal in time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #3

Molly McPherson HB User
Smile

I had bunion surgery in Jan 2000 and the other foot in Oct. 2000. It was the smartest thing I have ever done. No more pain in my feet and I can now wear the shoes and sandels that I only could look at before. The healing time was a pain but it was worth it.
Molly

Old 04-26-2003, 08:08 PM   #4

wasup254 HB User
I am now two weeks and 2 days post op (4-11)..I am not sure if I am right on target or not..I was not in a a cast, I was told to weight bear as tolerated immediately. I had a screw placed and the bone shifted also. I am amazed at the differences in post op instructions...it makes you wonder.

I have the blue shoe of course, I think I need to start thinking about it being apart of my life for awhile, we are going to Brazil on July 3rd, sounds more and more like the blue shoe may make the trip!!!

I have swelling from mid top of the foot till the toes and then some in the toes. I also see the big toe pointing upwards a bit, doc told me to move the big toes up and down alot.

The stitche are still in, as she said that the swelling was too much to take them out. Now set to have them out may 3rd. I hope it can be done, as they will have been in for three weeks....

Also, thought I could go back to work, no way, not till the 12th of May. I told work I would be back 4-22..they are not happy. I am so bored.

So I am now thinking of waiting a while to get the other foot done,,,,,need to build up more sick time at work...LOL

Take care,
Marlene

Old 04-28-2003, 02:01 PM   #5

DIPPYDEBB HB User
That sounds like me. My big toe I still can't move but the rest of them I can and therapy is coming along great. So, it will take some time but you will get there. I go back to work after the May 5th I still have swelling on my big toe. I still can't wear a my tennis shoe and I want to go out for walks so bad it's nice weather here. Peace, Debra

Closed Thread