It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
(female)

rbright HB User
how painful is bunion surgery

how painful is bunion surgery. I'am having surgery on nov. 1, 2007. at first i wasn't worried then I looked on the web and didn't realize that i was going to be on chutches and then in a cast for weeks, my doctor really didn't tell me much about it. I am having second thought now. please help. Also I am having surgery on Thursday and going back to work on the following Monday.

Last edited by rbright; 10-25-2007 at 11:07 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
(female)

Pookiemon HB User
Re: how painful is bunion surgery

I'm sure it all depends, but really it hasn't been bad for me, and I'm a huge wimp. I think my bunion was moderate, and I had the Austin procedure. They gave me drugs that made me sleepy during the surgery (I actually slept through the whole thing), and they numbed my foot. I think when I was waking up I could feel them injecting the longer-lasting numbing medication. That was a little painful but really, it's just like getting a shot.

After the surgery, I was numb until I woke up the next day. It did hurt a little but not too bad. The drugs they gave me did a good job of killing the pain and keeping me too sleepy to try to get up and do stuff. I stayed home from work through the Thursday following the surgery (6 days later). I probably could have gone back sooner but I wanted to stay on the medicine and I was too drugged to accomplish anything--the pain itself wasn't keeping me home.

I also was able to walk immediately after the surgery, even though my foot was numb. They gave me a heavy, clunky, ugly, but wonderful walking boot. I actually walked out of the surgery center. I suspect if your doctor didn't say anything about crutches, there's a chance you don't need them. I didn't need them for one minute.

As far as pain down the line (I'm only three weeks post-op), I'd say that at its worst, it's about as painful as my bunion was after a long day of walking. It's not even a constant pain, just comes and goes. I am willing to undergo this temporary pain if it means that constant pain from before is gone.

I hope that helps! It's honestly gone much better than I expected. It's not nearly as bad as I imagined.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

how can you go back to work so fast?

Old 10-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
(female)

misfish90 HB User

Going back to work 4 days post-op?! That's either really ambitious or just plain unrealistic. I know I couldn't have done it.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
(female)

BunionPatient HB User

bunion surgery for me was not painful at all. the recovery time was very hard for me though I hope all goes well

Old 10-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
(female)

Pookiemon HB User

I sit all day at my job, and my office is casual so I can put my feet up if I want. I switched from the prescription painkillers to Advil when I went back to work so I wouldn't be drugged. My husband dropped me off and picked me up so I wouldn't have to drive.

Closed Thread