It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #1

Jenna HB User
Question Bunion splint and toe separators

Hi,

For those of you who had bunionectomies and use the bunion splints and/or toe separators. How long after your surgery were you allowed to start using them?

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2003, 07:09 PM   #2

EmilyL HB User
Hi Jenna

My doctor told me to wear toe spacers at 6 weeks post op and to keep wearing them for 6 months. From what I read around the message boards every doctor gives different instructions.

Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2003, 08:10 PM   #3

PMCW58 HB User
I just had my 4 week check-up today. I believe at 2 weeks I started using the toe spacer (between big toe and second toe). Today he told me to wear it 24 hrs a day for the next three weeks. I don't know what happens after 7 weeks. I'll let you know! I'm not wearing any kind of splint or anything.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:09 AM   #4

thelittleprincess HB User
hi jenna,

i wore the splint from post-op week 4 (when i go the pin removed) to week 7. i was post op 7 weeks before i got back into regular shoes - that was when i got my toe spacer. it's post op week 14, i think, and and about 12 days ago, my doc gave me two more spacers to replace my worn out ones. i never asked how long i was expected to continue wearing it....but since he gave me new ones, i'll keep wearing it. just had my right foot done 5 days ago and this time around was a little more painful than the the first.

good luck during your recovery.

[This message has been edited by thelittleprincess (edited 06-10-2003).]

Old 06-10-2003, 08:49 PM   #5

Jenna HB User
Thanks everyone for your responses!

theLittlePrincess - did your doctor recommend that you use the splints every now and then?

I had my right foot done in the beginning of May and had the left foot done two weeks after. I agree with you, it was definitely more painful than the first time. When I woke up in the middle of the surgery, I could've sworn I felt pain in my left foot. So I asked the anesthesiologist to put me to sleep. As soon as they woke me up I felt the pain right away. With my right foot, I didn't start to feel the pain for over about 2 hours after the surgery.

I wish I had thought of taking before and after shots. That was a really good idea.

hope you're doing well with your recovery. =)

Old 06-11-2003, 10:44 AM   #6

hi jenna,

my doctor told me i didn't need to wear the splint after i changed to the spacer. but i did continue wearing it around the house when i wasn't wearing shoes - hoping that it would help "straighten" the toe out a little more (mine still point to the left....but if i stand on my feet, it does straighten out a bit) i think i gave up after a week or two. so i just wear the spacer with my closed toe shoes.

do you still have to wear both? if yes, did the doc say why wearing the spint longer might help?? thanks.

Old 06-16-2003, 07:34 AM   #7

Jenna HB User
thelittleprincess,

my doctor never told me to use either. He doesn't seem to say much which is why I'm glad I found this site. So informative and it's nice to hear everyone else's experiences. I still bought the spacers and splints anyway just to use them as preventative measures. Even though I'm happy with the results so far, this is something I hope I don't have to do again!

How's your right foot doing?

Old 06-16-2003, 08:39 AM   #8

hi jenna,

as it turns out, the doctor found a bone cyst during surgery. he told me about it on friday - guess there was no reason to tell me right after the surgery. turns out it was benign i am still feeling pain - icing it as much as possible. i'm not taking any pain pills - really don't like the nausea. so i'll stick with ibuprofen when necessary.

the doctor told me that he would like me to wear the spacer for 3 months. he actually has me wearing the spacer on my right foot right now - just because the "tape splint" tends to lose it's hold between visits.

overall, i'm doing alright. just have this feeling that the time wil fly - so hopefully i'm right. really would like to take a full shower and wear regular shoes again.

Closed Thread