It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #1

cinderella777 HB User
Post bunion surgery - how long till you can do 2nd foot?

Just wondering for those who had one foot done at a time. How long did you have to wait to do the second foot?

Also how do I know if I have a good doc? Does your doc have pictures of before and afters? My doc doesn't but he doens't seem into that stuff. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2003, 12:20 PM   #2

crutches HB User
Hi Cinderella, my dr. said I have to wait 4-5 months before doing the 2nd foot. Said the first one has to be good and strong to support all the weight for the next one. I know what you mean about finding a good dr. I went to an orth surgeon first and he told me to go and buy big wide shoes! I was so mad when I walked out of his office, never went back. Then I went to a podiatrist surgeon for another opinion and he didn't hesitate about surgery. Now I was really confused. So I called the Podiatrist Board and enquired about him and also my Dr. offered to give me other patients names to talk to (which I didn't do). I did some checking and found out how long he's been practicing and how often he does this type of surgery and what his education/credentials etc are. I think you just have to do some checking and make sure there are no complaints against him/her. Once I'd had a few visits with him and talked to him a few times I felt more comfortable with him. I'm 5 weeks post op now on my first foot and so far am pleased with him. I guess the big test will be when I get the cast off next week and how I recover with walking. This board was a big help too. I really watched it and read everyone's comments for a month or so before I decided to go ahead with it. Was helpful to hear real stories. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #3

crankyc HB User
Smile

Hi, cinderella...first I checked my health insurance website to find out how many board-certified foot surgeons in my local area were particpating providers. Then I narrowed the list to 3 who had expertise in bunion/hammertoe correction, and checked to make sure they had no complaints against them. I ended up choosing the first one I went to, because he is head of Podiatric surgery at one of my local hospitals, and does a lot of this type of surgery. He explained a couple of possible procedures to me so that I could get an idea of what to expect in terms of recovery, time off, etc. An interesting note: Before I started looking for a doctor, I had thought that it would have been better to have an orthopedic surgeon do the operation. However, you would have to first find some orthopedic surgeons who specialize in the foot, then narrow the list to those who do a lot of bunion procedures. Board-certified Podiatric surgeons who do a lot of the type of surgery you need are actually your best bet. It increases your chances for a successful outcome.
Good luck,
Chris

Old 07-16-2003, 03:42 PM   #4

thelittleprincess HB User
hi cinderella.

i asked my friend's mom (a nurse) to recommend a good foot doctor for my bunions - so she referred me to a podiatrist. i'm very happy with the work he did on both of my feet. i had my left foot done on 02/27/03 and was "done" with all my office visits by postop week 7. about 3 months later form the surgery date, i had my right foot done on 06/05/03. this one is healing a bit slower than my left foot (due to a benign cyst that was discovered during the surgery) so do allow some extra time in case there are slight or major complications. i was hoping to be back in real shoes by now, but am going to have to wait almost 2 more weeks before the dr checks it again. i'm not even guarenteed that i'll be back in shoes next weekend.

try asking the dr if any of his/her patients who've had the same surgery as you need can offer testimonials - my sister did that with the lasik surgeon and was able to speak to a few of the patients one on one. i trusted my friend's mom's recommendation so i didn't bother doing that.

good luck.

Old 07-16-2003, 09:50 PM   #5
Inactive

paininthefoot HB User
Cinderella,

I had my left bunion removed March 10, and I just had my right foot done July 3. I still don't have complete movement in my toe, but it is getting better every day. It seems like the perfect amount of time because I am still in the groove of this long arduous surgery. I teach school and at least can rest my feet this time until August. Good Luck! It's good to hear from everyone.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:31 PM   #6

PMCW58 HB User
I had my left foot done by an orthopaedic surgeon on May 8th and I'm contemplating a date for my right foot. I can tell you I am just over 2 months post-op and I am not ready to have the right one done yet. My left foot is still healing, still a bit swollen and tender. I am thinking maybe mid-September or I may even wait until after Christmas, as October won't be a good time. This left foot doesn't really "hurt", it just doesn't feel normal yet, hard to describe.
I found my surgeon like this: my dad was an attorney who did alot of malpractice; he asked his doctor friends who was skilled at this type of surgery. You could ask your primary care provider for a recommendation. Also, since I thought about this surgery for FOURTEEN years (yes, I procrastinate), I would ask every poor soul in a foot cast or boot, what they had done and who did it! Turns out my doctor did 90% of them and everyone raved. You might also inquire if your orthopaedic surgeon did a foot fellowship--mine did(I bet there's some way to look this up). Older doctors wouldn't have done this, though. My doctor is late 40's. I have been very pleased.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:59 AM   #7

phearns HB User
NOw you have me completely confused. After reading theses notes I am beginning to lose faith in my doctor. My bunion and hammertoes were done on June 30th.....I'm healing, but still in a surgery boot. He has scheduled me for the same surgery on my other foot for July 29th.........according to what I have read here, that seems to be too soon......what do you think?

Old 07-18-2003, 10:44 PM   #8

tigger84 HB User
Sounds like too soon to me.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:50 PM   #9

tigger84 HB User
Had bunion and hammertoe surgery on my right foot June 9. On July 22 will have the pins removed. Couldn't even think about the left foot anytime soon. Don't know that my right foot would even be strong enough to support my body while the left one had to heal. I walk on the heel only in the boot. But thank goodness I had the left foot done same surgery 7 years ago and it will all be over with soon.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:25 PM   #10

tigger84 HB User
I had an orthopedic surgeon. He is wonderful.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:21 AM   #11

cinderella777 HB User
paininthefoot - i read your reply. So it only took 3-4 months for your foot to heal. When you got the 2nd foot done was the first one healed enough to bear so much weight on it etc???

Closed Thread