It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 10:48 AM   #1
Inactive

angelf2003 HB User
Post Recovery Time from Bunion Surgery

I know this question is similar to how long is a piece of string ! I am due to have Bunion Surgery where by they break and reset by big toe, and the foot bone and removing the bunion. Putting in screws to hold it all together. How long did others take off work. I work in NYC so the commute is drive to train station and then take a train and then either a subway or 20 min walk. Any opinions would be gratefully received!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 08:41 PM   #2

mjcroft1955 HB User
Ask your Dr how long before you can go back to work,how long before you can put weight on it, etc. My procedure was kind of like yours other than I had 3 hammertoe repairs and 2 bones in my foot cut and straightened. I had surgery June 19, went back to work this week, and am still in a fracture "boot". Not ready for shoes for another week or two.
Being on my feet a LOT this week has really made my foot swell and hurt!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #3

PMCW58 HB User
Oh gosh, that's a million dollar question. I guess it depends on what type of work you do. If you have a desk job where you can prop up your feet, it would be alot sooner than a retail-type job where you're on your feet all day. You'll need to be able to prop your foot up or it will feel like it's going to explode from the swelling. I used to stand at the sink with my leg hoisted on top of the counter (not a pretty picture!!) I would think you'd have to be off a minimum of 2 weeks. Anyone else's thoughts?
PMCW
3.5 months post-op bunionectomy left foot
recovering nicely

Old 08-22-2003, 07:42 AM   #4
Inactive

angelf2003 HB User
Thanks for the feedback! I do have an office job - where i can sit all day. It is more about the commute - especially in NYC I am worried about people bumping into me. My Dr said maybe 2 weeks but from what I have read here - that may be too optimistic. Also my job wants an idea - I don't want to tell them 2 weeks and be off for 6! (Nice as that may be!)
How long are you literally feet up on bed/sofa?

Old 08-22-2003, 09:17 AM   #5

crutches HB User
I had this same surgery done on June 11, was in a non walking cast for 6 weeks and was off work for 8 weeks. I have an office job but couldn't drive (right foot). That was the main reason I couldn't work because I had no way to get there. But I really couldn't have worked because it was uncomfortable to sit at a desk and hard to get around on crutches. If I sat at my computer desk at home for 30 minutes at a time - that was enough and I had to go and put my foot up on the couch and ice it. So I would try and get as much time off as you can. My Dr said the longer I stayed off the better it would be so luckily I have a disability plan and was able to get him to sign it off for 8 weeks. The last 2 weeks I had a surgical shoe on and was just walking a little (and carefully) on my foot. By the time I came back to work at 8 weeks I could get a sandal on with velcro straps - still have swelling but improving each day. 10 weeks post op now.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:39 AM   #6
(female)

babycarolann HB User
I just had my surgery on August 8th. I was out of work for only one week (all the vacation I could get). My doctor would have liked for me to be out for 3 weeks. I am in a similar situation as you as far as the commute. I drive to the train station, take the commuter rail into Boston and then take the T (our subway) to my job. Since I had my right foot done, I cannot drive, so I have to get a ride to and from the train.
I guess I am fortunate in that I have disolvable pins holding the bone in place. I also did not need a cast. I have my foot wrapped and in a walking shoe. I was on crutches for only 10 days. I should have been on longer, but I felt that the crutches were causing me more pain than the foot! My stitches come out on Tuesday (been about 2 weeks). After that I will be able to swim.
I am now back at work (a desk job) and although it isn't bad once I get here, it is a VERY big struggle to GET here. I suggest taking as much time as you can off. At the end of the day, my foot is sore and swollen, and I have been very tired from the long commute.
I hope this helps, but as you can see every person is different. After reading some of these posts, I think I may have it a bit easy compared to others. Also, my incision is VERY small. I think alot depends on your doctor as well. All in all, I have felt the surgery has been more INCONVENIENT than painful. I hope this helps!

Old 08-22-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
Inactive

angelf2003 HB User
Thank you so much for the feedback! It was kind of what I was expecting! I think I need to prepare my job for more than 2 weeks off! My Dr said I wouldn't need a cast, so that should help me!

Old 08-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #8
Inactive

angelf2003 HB User
Reading all this is making me very nervous. I kind of thought after the 2 weeks I would be back to normal. I need to talk in more detail to my doctor! Maybe try and do some work from home too.

Old 08-22-2003, 03:25 PM   #9

PMCW58 HB User
I think 3 weeks off work would probably be good. You'll have to think about the commute. It's real hard to walk long distances in those blue shoes. I didn't have a cast, had a blue shoe. I remember at about 3 weeks post=op I went to the lake but just wanted to sit and have my foot propped up most of the time. The crutches are a real pain but I would be worried about people getting near my foot and stepping onit. The crutches might help that. I agree that the surgery was not intensely painful, but the disability from the recovery was a pain. But, I am 3 months post-op and doing well and it's worth it.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:14 AM   #10
(female)

szcbassoon HB User
Hi,
I had my big toe fused with 2 screws in in and was non-weight bearing and on crutches for 6 weeks.
My biggest fear after that (and still in the lovely shoe,) was someone stepping on my foot in stores. I would be careful of the commuting in NYC, as I go there often, someone could easily bump or step on it-yikes!. I bet 4 weeks off would be more like it for you , but who knows your procedure could be a faster healing one. Your dr. should know best.
Good luck, you will be happy it is worth it!
Sue

Old 08-27-2003, 10:40 AM   #11
Inactive

angelf2003 HB User
Wink

Is it about 10 days on crutches? My Dr hasn't given me much of an idea of what to expect post-surgery. I need to quiz him upon my next visit! Any more stories?

Old 08-27-2003, 10:53 AM   #12
(female)

babycarolann HB User
Hi, as you read in my previous post, I was only on crutches for 10 days, but I have heard that some people are on longer.
Quick update: I got the stitches out yesterday----incision looks VERY ugly, but doesn't hurt. The most important piece of advice my doctor stressed to me: "Don't try to do too much too quickly! It may not hurt, but it still needs to heal!"
So, please take as much time as you can! Good luck!

Old 08-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #13

PMCW58 HB User
Crutches: There was at least a week where I couldn't put any weight on the foot. After that I could hobble around in the blue shoe easier than crutches. But, if I wanted to get a long distance faster, I used the crutches. For example, when I went to my child's softball game, I used crutches because I had a long way to go to get to the field and it was faster with crutches. Plus, it lessens the chance of someone stepping on your foot, which you DO NOT WANT. In the first 2 days after surgery, though, I crawled to the bathroom on hands and knees because I couldn't bear the thought of accidentally falling backwards and putting weight on that foot. I also scooted up stairs on my bottom the first few days. It worked fine!

Old 08-27-2003, 07:17 PM   #14

LESLIE ROUGH HB User
I did em' both and proud off it within 3 days of each. The right was done fist the left was saved for last. Both feet had the same done bunion, hammertoe and bunionette shaved bone, wedged, tendons tightened and can't wait til I ditch the Cinderella shoes. My toes are well bruised but I haev beed told since my legs was cuffed and after release this is common shows good circulation and I now have a matched set! Had the staples (about 45 on each) and three stitches each removed 13 days after the first side was done. I drove myself to the doctor to have it done the staples were inbedded on the right so that has been the toughest should have taken painkillers to endure this but iced my foot and I survived. To complcated I have issues with my left foot the plantar facious (spelling). Have not lost sight with hopes the correction of the bunions and such this should get much better. Tried the night boot which offered a temporay fix. I plan on going back to work after four weeks. I have a desk job so I look forward to ruling the world from work with my feet up when I go back. I would recommend if you got to do it do them both together (3 days apart works well) get it behind you and on with your life carpal tunnel feet aren't fun I would do it again I am on the 15th day and proud of it Have fun, put your feet up and deal with it before you know it you'll be dancing in the streets see you there!

Closed Thread