It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 AM   #1
(male)

PDing HB User
Just had ankle reconstruction - very long story

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

A little background about me and what happened:

I'm a runner, back on June 28th while walking in the rain I slipped and heard a loud cracking sound. My immediate thought was I broke my ankle because of how loud the cracking sound and the intense shooting pain I felt. Being stubborn, I limped to my car to pick up my dog and took him home. I put ice on my ankle when I got home and elevated the foot. About 4 hours later, the pain wasn't going away and I decided to call my coworker to ask him to drive me the the emergency room.

In the ER they took a few X-rays and didn't see any breaks or cracks on the bone and gave me an ankle support before sending me home (also with an OS number). On July 5th, I met with the OS to discuss what had happened. We went through a list of possibilities regarding the types of sprains and injuries and steps to recovery. He advised going with the least aggressive form of recovery (PT) and see it goes.

The PT helped strengthen the muscles in my ankle and I was walking normally without pain within days after starting the PT, but I was unable to run more than 20 feet before the pain stopped me from going any further. After my PT timeframe was over, I visited my OS and went over my PT progress and my thoughts. I had a half marathon coming and wanted to be able to run in that race. An MRI was ordered to see exactly what was causing me to walk fine but prevents me from running. Also, by the end of PT, my ankle movement range was similar to that of the left ankle.

The result of the MRI showed that I had completely torn my ATFL and PTFL (not 100% sure of the names nor the acrynoms). The next step was to put me in a short cast for 4 weeks, but due to cast claustrophobia, I ripped the cast apart after 3 weeks (believe me, it wasn't fun).

Went for another three weeks of PT and again, showed good improvement throughout the session and was able to run for 1/2 mile by the end of PT. By this time it's early October and I still can't come close to running a full mile. Went to my OS and decided to op for surgery.

Basically, this past Tuesday I went in for surgery and don't remember much about it. If I remember correctly, the OS had cut and oversewn the ligaments and anchor the suture to the bone. He had a hard time finding my ATFL, not sure if it was still torn or because over the years from sprains, it was too loose and moved slightly off side.

I don't remember much about what went on all of Tuesday, but Wednesday was quite painful as I took my pain meds (Hydrocodone) exactly when I had to take them. I took two doses throughout Thursday and none by Friday. I also had an appt with the OS on Friday to change the dressing. I have a 6 inch incision on the outter part of the ankle.

I'm getting casted on the 14th and can't bare weight on it until end of December.

Sorry for the long story, but that's what happened (in short... more or less)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
(female)

cosmic1 HB User
Re: Just had ankle reconstruction - very long story

Just stay in control of yourself and follow the instructions completely.
However active you are, will be diminished if you don't heal well.
Follow directions for a good recovery.
I am miss hyper chick and went through two bunion surgeries.
With complications, I was on my butt most of the time on a bed for five months for both.
I would never want to go through tht again.
So be good and heal, heal, heal.......

Old 11-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
(male)

PDing HB User
Re: Just had ankle reconstruction - very long story

I think part of the reason why I ended up with surgery was because I tried to run 3 weeks after the injury. If the ligament started to reattach itself, I probably just pulled it apart when I ran.

Closed Thread