It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 11:10 AM   #1
(female)

aliasjane HB User
Angry sesamoid tumor

Just got diagnosed with a sesamoid tumor. Not happy, not only does it hurt with every step, but theres no way i can afford to have it taken out....ft student w/O insurance. I've had to stop walking for exercise, and my mood is slowly deteriorating, and gaining some weight bcuz of it all, plus I have lipomas in my back that need to be removed as well.
How do you live with a painful tumor on your foot? at least until you can afford surgery?
Thx for listening!!

Old 09-07-2003, 09:57 AM   #2
(female)

metatartus HB User
I would be curious to hear more about your diagnosis. Did you see a podiatrist or orthopedist? What type of tests/x-rays/ did you have? I went thru months of seeing a pod for ball-of-foot pain, had mri and bone scan, didn't find a sesamoid problem (I do have osteoarthritis of the big toe), but with all my research on the web I did not come across any reference to a tumor relating to the sesamoid. So first I would want to be sure of the diagnosis. Then, if you are satisfied with that diagnosis, look up on the web everything you can about sesamoid tumors. Most important, can they be sure it is not something that can get serious. Next, if you are sure that surgery is the only option, instead of trying to live with it, call a few surgeons and explain your predicament. I'm sure you can find someone who would help you work out a solution, perhaps future payment, working off part of the fee. Isn't there any type of student insurance you can get, at least temporarily? Barring that, look for some local group that you can join that offers insurance, again temporarily just for the surgery. Find a way and get it taken care of; there has got to be a way to avoid the pain and immobility that is going to be less costly than suffering thru it. Even putting off school for a semester or whatever. But first--be sure of that diagnosis. Best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

aliasjane HB User
thx for writing metatartus.
I saw an ortho surgeon and he took 3 x-rays. the tumor is the size of a small bb and he said it can be common with ppl. high arches, which i have, plus i danced from age 3-15, then 15 years of physical-on-your-feet-all-day type of work.
I'm actually going to look into a teaching hospital here, they may have options on payment for me.
,...considering he's a surgeon, do you think i should get a second opinion? Thx again!

Closed Thread