It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

cookie monster HB User
Post peeling skin off feet?

Hi everyone,

For some years now, I've got this weird condition.

I've got very ugly looking feet, as the skin around the back is red & sore from skin being peeled away. This happens from time to time. Usually, when the peeling happens, it's enough to fill a clenched fist. Then, after the peeling's done, I tread around on my feet very carefully, as it can be painful.

Been to the GP B4 & still, it happens. Is this a sign of any disease?

I would be very grateful if someone knew what this condition represents & could tell me about treatment.

Old 04-11-2002, 04:11 AM   #2

HCN HB User
Hi there. I am not entirely sure, however, it sounds like some sort of fungal infection. Better see a Chiropodist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2002, 05:49 AM   #3
(female)

cookie monster HB User
Unhappy

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I took so late to reply but ...

Anyway, the "possible fungal infection" thingy does sound scary. Mebbie me describing how it is in details would get more help (not that your suggestion isn't; pls dun get offended).

The bottom of both feet (nearer the ankles) is again sore from three nights' of peeling. Usually, a sign that another round of peeling is arriving is when the skin around there is "whiter" than usual. Then, either I use my hands to peel it off and/or I use a nail clipper to snip off the painful bits. Like I said before, the amount of dead skin is enough to fill ONE average adult-sized clenched fist each time; I feel like one of Mother Nature's animals shedding skin.

I've been adviced to clean that offending area of skin by using a brush to scrub the area during showers and later apply a foot cream for this kind of condition. Ok, I admit tat I've been lazy sometimes in not following it.

Anyone out there got more ideas? I've not wore open-toe footware for ages; always covered up shoes with socks. :=(

Thank you very much.

Old 05-21-2002, 11:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
This sounds like the stuff my daughter gets once in while, the whole bottom of her foot starts to peel,and the skin gets kinda dry and rough. Here's what I do and it does work for her. Hope it works for you if you try it.

You'll need Apple Cider Vinegar w/the Mother in it.(health food store)
Also vitamin E oil the strong kind like 24,000iu's or higher.(health food store or in the facial creams dept at kmart)

In a container that fits your feet, put just enough water to cover the affected area. Add 1Cup ACVw/Mother.
Or more if you can stand it.

Note: because of me being conservative, I had her soak her feet in a mild soapy water first, so we could reuse the ACV water.(I'd just heat it up in the micro.)This way it kept the ACV water cleaner.

Soak them for at least 30min or longer. Then slather on the Vit.E oil and put on a pair of socks. We did this every night till it's gone.

She gets it about once a year. Usually from her feet being damp in her shoes.

The stonger you can take the ACV the better. It's kinda tingly.

I use it on my hair as a rinse for dandruff, also an astringent toner on my face, and I make a tea with it to drink. 2teas ACV 2teas honey to a cup of hot water.

ACVw/mother balances the ph balance in and outside the skin. The bottle needs to be shaken up when using.
If you use it in your hair or on your face, it really stings the eyes so be carefull. Good luck, hopes this helps you too. Diana

Old 05-23-2002, 10:42 AM   #5
Inactive

Lady^ HB User
Diabetics can have problems with peeling skin....have you had a blood glucose test?

Old 06-20-2002, 12:36 PM   #6

claujuh HB User
my son has feet that look like that. i have suggested athletes' foot medication to him. but does he LISTEN to his mother????? NO!!!!

Old 07-20-2002, 12:27 AM   #7

hotpurple5 HB User
see a dermatologist. I have psoriasis on soles of my feet. EVERYTHING you describe is psoriasis. Better try getting it under control B4 it has chance to get worse w/ no tmt. See a dermatologist - often misdiagnosed or the average person thinks Athletes foot.
In meantime, regular petrolatum jelly will make removal easier - let me guess- when you peel the scales, the skin sometimes pulls off to a "point," making a small, raw, possibly bleeding area @ site of "point." Use antibiotic ointment for that.

Old 07-20-2002, 09:41 AM   #8
(female)

cookie monster HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by hotpurple5:
see a dermatologist. I have psoriasis on soles of my feet. EVERYTHING you describe is psoriasis. Better try getting it under control B4 it has chance to get worse w/ no tmt. See a dermatologist - often misdiagnosed or the average person thinks Athletes foot.

*** do I really, really have to? For the whole month of June, I was very busy & I wore socks with covered shoes as I went out.

In meantime, regular petrolatum jelly will make removal easier - let me guess- when you peel the scales, the skin sometimes pulls off to a "point," making a small, raw, possibly bleeding area @ site of "point." Use antibiotic ointment for that.
*** Hahahaa!! Boy, u sure hit the jackpot about me peeling to a point where blood splutters. By then, I become a temporary ballerina, tiptoe-ing around & grimacing everytime my feet touch water!!

However, I don't understand 2 things that you said:

a) What on earth is PSORIASIS?
b) What is this antibiotic ointment that you talk about? Is it OTC or GP/dermatologist's prescription only?

Heh, it is good to know that there are fellow sufferers of "peeling skin off the feet" & that I'm not alone.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I might gather up some courage to go seek medical treatment. ;P

Old 07-21-2002, 09:05 PM   #9

hotpurple5 HB User
Hey Cookie Monster - Psoriasis looks like severe eczema or athletes foot (if on feet). You can get it anywhere on your body. Usually will affect SAME area on opposite sides of body. Typical symptoms would be very scaly skin-often several layers thick, itches till you nearly need a shrink, but then when you scratch, it gets inflamed, which it is already. Scales may look snow-white, yet when peeled off, may also appear yellowish. Most people shed skin cells in app 30 days. Most people also think psoriasis is a skin disease - it is NOT. It is due to some immune disorder (I don't quite understand it all), where, in people w/ psoriasis, the skin cells turn over every 5 to 6 days!! So then you have all that scaly build -up. Most people take it very lightly - psoriasis is SERIOUS. App 500 people in US die annually of it. But that is the extreme. There are several different kinds of psoriasis, and varying severity. There is NO KNOWN CURE. But there are treatments your dermatologist or family dr. can prescribe to ease symptoms. So far, none of those have worked for me. I find relief in the antibiotic ointment, which by the way is ANY OTC "triple antibiotic" ointment. You don't have to get name-brand. Vaseline is 1 thing that softens scales (therefore relieving some itching) and doesn't burn. If itching is severe & u haven't gotten to dr. yet, an OTC antihistamine will also relieve some itching. Cold water relieves some of the burning, achiness from walking on raw, scaly, inflamed feet. Get OUT of those heavy socks & closed shoes! @ home, wear house slippers or sandals - helps Alot. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2002, 10:18 PM   #10

LibraryLynn HB User
I agree with Purple on this one. Get out of the socks and closed shoes. I only wear Birkenstock sandals, with socks in the winter, and that has helped my peeling foot problems a great deal.

A dermatologist once told me it was called dishydrosis (I may be spelling that wrong). I use a steroid cream when it gets really bad, but oh those sores...I know exactly what you mean about being a ballerina and ooching every time you walk. I also pour lots of hydrogen peroxide on it and use a big piece of gauze covered in antibiotic cream so it dosen't hurt quite so much.

The biggest help has been the sandals. My attacks don't come as often or last as long since I started the no closed shoes about three years ago.

Good luck!
Lynn

Old 08-06-2002, 10:22 PM   #11
(female)

cookie monster HB User
Smile

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your encouragement & replies.

Nope, I ain't going to the doctor yet. Why? Here's why:

1) I ain't got much cash to pay even for the consultation (which can easily cost $24 upfront).

2) I'm a timid mouse, scared of the possibility tat I just might ... have diabetes. Ok, so the correct word would be paranoid.

3) I've not had a "peeling skin off the feet" session for a pretty long time (by my standards). And there's not much "extra skin" to be cut off.

4) For work purposes, I've to wear 'closed-up' shoes. Other than that, I wear slippers about the house. There's my own therapy.

Should work for me. As I've said somewhere in Healthboards before, when it comes to problems, "it never rains but pours". :=)

Good health to everyone.

Old 08-19-2002, 07:45 PM   #12

chaplin HB User
I have this identical problem. The skin will peel off in large thick sheets and then spots will be red and sore. I have problems walking sometimes because my feet are so sore.

The only thing that I have found to work is to use a scraper like manicurists use. It scrapes away the skin and I don't tend to have this problem.

Old 08-29-2002, 03:05 AM   #13
(female)

cookie monster HB User
Unhappy

Good day everyone,

News flash: the peeling of skin continues & now it's gone 1 step further: the skin on 1 foot has cracked & "opened up", about 1.5cm. I've gone to being a ballerina, tip toeing.

Any tips? I've got a ball to attend in about 1 week's time.

Old 09-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #14

Gdavy HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by cookie monster:
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your encouragement & replies.

Nope, I ain't going to the doctor yet. Why? Here's why:

1) I ain't got much cash to pay even for the consultation (which can easily cost $24 upfront).

2) I'm a timid mouse, scared of the possibility tat I just might ... have diabetes. Ok, so the correct word would be paranoid.

3) I've not had a "peeling skin off the feet" session for a pretty long time (by my standards). And there's not much "extra skin" to be cut off.

4) For work purposes, I've to wear 'closed-up' shoes. Other than that, I wear slippers about the house. There's my own therapy.

Should work for me. As I've said somewhere in Healthboards before, when it comes to problems, "it never rains but pours". :=)

Good health to everyone.
That has got to be one of the scaryest things i have ever read! what country are you from? Here we have a free public health system, you can go to a private clinic, but if you cant afford it theres always public health. ANy they make you pay upfront for medical treatment?!

Old 09-12-2003, 07:54 PM   #15
(female)

cookie monster HB User
Hi there,

Thanks for your concern. Heh, I got plenty of explaining to do!

At the time of my post, I was away studying for awhile as an overseas student in Australia. There, all overseas students must have health cover.

The thing is, one Must pay upfront for consultation ($24) first, then one is rebated the monies. Hehee, I had spent nearly all my $$$ ...

Now, my feet don't peel as much coz I bought the foot cream.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gdavy:
That has got to be one of the scaryest things i have ever read! what country are you from? Here we have a free public health system, you can go to a private clinic, but if you cant afford it theres always public health. ANy they make you pay upfront for medical treatment?!

Closed Thread