It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2003, 11:51 PM   #1
(female)

Dixie Chick HB User
Post My feet are on fire!

My feet feel like they are burning up most of the time. I can't stand to wear shoes but I have to wear socks and athletic shoes all day at work. I go barefoot as much as I can.

At night, I sleep with my feet hanging out from under the covers because they are so hot.

I am a 50-year old female. This has been going on for years. My blood pressure is somewhat low (90/60). Could that cause it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
(male)

ronnald HB User
Dixie,
It could be from many problems. Neuromas, or nerve entrapment, TTS, and probably many other things. Are you diabetic? If this has been going on for many years, why haven't you seen a podiatrist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 12:57 PM   #3
(female)

Dixie Chick HB User
I haven't seen a podiatrist because I never thought of it as a foot problem, really (even though I put it in this category!). I am not diabetic. I'm just really hot natured. I need to lose 20 lbs.

Old 09-28-2003, 04:50 PM   #4
(male)

ronnald HB User
Dixie,
My feet burn and hurt right around the ball of the foot, after activities. Podiatrist gave me insoles, but it hasn't worked. Next will be custom orthodics.

How long have you had the problem for? Have you talked to your doctor? Do both feet burn or just one? Does it do it all the time? Is it any particular place on the foot?

Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 AM   #5

Sneakers HB User
Hi Dixie

As you can tell, it's after 2:00 am and I'm still awake. I have to wake up in 4 hours to go to work. I can't sleep because my feet are so hot. I have this problem all of the time, but I thought it was just me. I think everyone around me thinks I'm crazy.

I actually feel like my feet are going to internally combust. I'm overweight with slight high blood pressure, so I don't think it's because your blood pressure is low.

I try to sleep with the fan blowing on my feet, but I find that it just iritates them. They seem to be so sensitive these days.

I work in an office and hate to have shoes on. Whenever I'm at my desk, I take my shoes off because my feet get so hot.

Oh my god, I wish someone had an answer for us.

Old 09-29-2003, 07:51 PM   #6
(female)

seashell1 HB User
Here is some info I found for you:

Burning feet is a common complaint among many groups of people, most commonly in the older group over 50 years of age. It has a multi-factorial etiology (many different causes for the formation of the symptom of burning feet). This symptom is most prevalent in diabetics who present with a symptom of mixed neuropathy with loss of sensation on the plantar aspect (bottom of the feet).

However, there are many other causes for this symptom. Alcohol is high on the index of suspicion for this complaint. Neuropathy and loss of sensation secondary to alcohol ingestion over long periods of time. Other causes include thyroid dysfunction and gastric restriction in morbid obesity produce symptoms of burning feet.

Some of the infectious diseases, such as leishmaniasis, a rarely reported neurologic change secondary to a bacteria, also cause these symptoms. Thrombocytopenia also produces this symptom. However, the most common denominator for burning foot syndrome is usually a diabetic who has been insulin dependent for many years, producing a variety of secondary complaints such as vitamin deficiency to include thiamin.

Mechanical causes include nerve entrapment syndrome such as tarsal tunnel syndrome, which causes compression of the never as it enters the foot from the ankle. Neuroma pain, a pinched nerve between the 3rd-4th toes has been implicated in the symptom of burning feet.

Treatment

Treatments vary, depending on the cause of the burning foot syndrome. The most important aspect of this symptom is accurate diagnosis. The diagnostic modalities employed in diagnosis are nerve conduction velocity testing, x-ray evaluation, and MRI is helpful in establishing the underlying cause. Blood tests to determine blood dyscrasias (changes) can be helpful. The most important tool for establishment of an accurate diagnosis is adequate history and physical examination by a physician trained in these area. The best physician for this malady is a neurologist, internist, or podiatrist.

Boswella Cream or Boswella capsules help to improve the blood flow to joints and restore the integrity of blood vessels obliterated by spasm of internal damage. Magnetic therapy insoles are also suggested in relieving this condition.

Old 09-30-2003, 11:19 AM   #7
(female)

Dixie Chick HB User
Thanks, Seashell, for looking that up. I think I'm going to have to see a doctor because I don't think any of the things listed are my problem (don't drink, not diabetic, not obese, etc.)

My feet usually feel fine when I'm shoeless during the day and have my feet uncovered at night.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:59 AM   #8
(female)

seashell1 HB User
Lightbulb

Here's a thought..... Try some gel insoles. I bought some several years ago for cushioning my shoes but they were very cold feeling. They might just help cool off the burning your having. I really do think you still need to see the doc just incase there are other problems. Good luck, I hope you get your feet back to normal

Closed Thread