It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2002, 06:41 PM   #1

Shirley Acuff HB User
Unhappy Surgery-Sesamoidectomy

3 1/2 weeks ago I had a "tibial sesamoidectomy." This was to correct pain in the ball of my foot and to straighten my large toe which was splaying.

The dr. told me there would be a relatively short recovery period of about three weeks. About four days into my recovery, my foot felt good and the pressure was relieved that I had been feeling. At this point though my pain is increasing. I told him I'm uncomfortable and he told me to keep walking. He is taking an x-ray a week from tomorrow though, which makes me think he may think something is wrong.

Has anyone had this procedure and, if so, any problems?

Old 03-19-2002, 06:30 AM   #2

tripod HB User
I had sesamoids removed when I had reconstructive surgery. It was the least of my problems recovery wise. I have noticed a difference in my balance which the dr says is partly due to sesamoid removal and partly the limits of my new great toe joint. It has been 8 months since my surgery and I am still restricted from any activity that is high impact.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #3

Trottsky HB User
I just found this board today.

I had a sesamoidectomy a year ago and I wish I hadn't. I am debating whether to have a second surgery to remove scar tissue. (Well, my diagnostic tests indicate some "thickening" and tendinitis on the tendon that runs along the arch of the foot, but it's not definite that there is scar tissue. That's what my surgeon is guessing. She has done many of these operations and has never had a patient experience the pain I have.) If I do have second surgery, I will have a CPM machine on my toe to help prevent more scar tissue from forming.

I am going to try acupuncture for the first time in about a week to see if that will help. It will take a few weeks before I know if it does, though.

I hope you have found some answers since your post, Shirley.

Old 06-21-2003, 09:03 PM   #4

lynnlin HB User
I'm facing the same surgery, I'm afraid. I had bunion and hammertoe surgery last August, and have had problems ever since. Finally after a ct scan, it was determined I had a fractured tibial sesamoid - coincidentally(?) I had had no problems in that area prior to having the bunion surgery.

Anyway, I've spent weeks in a walking cast, then in just a surgical shoe, plus using an electrical bone growth stimulator 3 hours/day, in hopes of healing it non-surgically, but I don't think it's working. In fact, it hurts very bad every morning when I first put weight on it and for 20 minutes or so afterward, and the pain is actually worse than my post-op pain from the surgery last year. The rest of the day it's off and on discomfort, but manageable.

I had another ct scan done last week, and have a dr appt this Friday to get the results. The only thing I'm sure of is that if he recommends surgery, I'll find a different doctor to do it.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:12 AM   #5

Trottsky HB User
lynnlin,

Yikes! I haven't checked the boards since my last post. I hope you can find some relief soon. If surgery is recommended, try a second opinion if you can, too. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Trottsky For This Useful Post:
elise707 (06-03-2012)
Old 07-06-2003, 05:28 AM   #6
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Glad I checked these boards! I have had on-going pain in the ball of a foot and it is due to that culprit - the seismoid bones splaying. I am having orthodics made, but that will only help while I am in the shoes with the orthodics! I know the only other alternative is surgery, but from what I've read here I certainly will not go that route.

Anyone have exerience with other treatment modalities?

Peregrine

[This message has been edited by peregrine (edited 07-06-2003).]

Old 07-06-2003, 05:29 AM   #7
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Glad I checked these boards! I have had on-going pain in the ball of a foot and it is due to that culprit - the seismoid bones splaying. I am having orthodics made, but that will only help while I am in the shoes with the orthodics! I know the only other alternative is surgery, but from what I've read here I certainly will not go that route.

Anyone have exerience with other treatment modalities?

Peregrine

Old 10-01-2003, 10:50 AM   #8

jolaina HB User
i am experiencing problems with my tibial sesmoid. its been one year of full on pain. i was in a cast for six weeks, a cortisone shot, seven weeks of physical therapy, and my foot still hurts like and seems worse! i don't think i have a choice, and i am extremely nervous. but after researching on the internet, i have found several studies where 80% of patients return to activity. only those that allowed symptoms to continue for years (2 to 4) before seeking remedies were affected so that other operations or additional meds were necessary to control pain or adverse affects of surgery. although i do not want surgery, i cannot walk without pain. so, i will update this site with my recovery info. more than likely, i will continue with physical therapy as soon as possible, and do what ever i can to make sure my foot is operating properly. good luck to everyone!

Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
(male)

Bbblakem HB User
Unhappy Re: Surgery-Sesamoidectomy

I've had a fractured tibial sesamoid for about 4 months now. I spent about 6 weeks in a walking boot and then was given pads to wear in my walking shoes. Not much improvement since going into the shoe. This is very frusterating because I'm supposed to play volleyball for Ohio State this year and I don't believe I'm going to be able to. I'm strongly considering surgery because it seems to be my only option at this time. Good luck to those undergoing surgery and respond to how it is postopp.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
(female)

CTmom HB User
Re: Surgery-Sesamoidectomy

It's good to see this thread active again. I was diagnosed with sesamoiditis a few weeks ago and put into a walking boot, but there has been no improvement at all in my pain. I can walk in the boot, but not at all barefoot or in a shoe. In addition, I can't drive because it's my right foot. Did you have any swelling on the bottom of your foot? I have a dime-sized bump. It is painful even to touch. I used to do a lot of theater/dancing but would be happy at this point just to be able to walk again. I wonder if my sesamoid is broken even though it didn't show up on x-ray. After several weeks shouldn't I see some improvement? I go back to the podiatrist next week and will let you know what he says. Let us know if you decide to go ahead with the surgery and what the outcome is.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
(female)

CTmom HB User

Well, after a month in a boot with no improvement in my sesamoid pain I had a cortisone injection today. I don't think it's going to help and my Dr. even said he didn't think it would help but we had to try it before taking the next step - which is surgery. I'm still not able to bear weight on the foot at all unless I'm in the boot so it's really not an option. He looked at the x-rays again and didn't see a fracture but said hairline stress fractures are sometimes hard to see. He suspects it's there and even if it isn't it doesn't change the course of treatment. We've exhausted all our options and I don't want to spend the rest of my life tied to my house wearing this boot. I have three young kids to chase after and cart around! We're going to give it one more month just to be conservative and then he'll refer me for tibial sesamoid removal. I'm not happy about it and know it carries some risk, but hopefully it can give me back some quality of life after recovery. Any more experiences with this surgery? (Hopefully positive??)

Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
(female)

rkd HB User

I have just had this operation, for my medial sesamoid. It was causing so much pain for over a year and eventually after the walking cast, plaster and steroid injection failed (infact they all made it a lot worse!) I've had it removed. In a plaster cast at the moment for just a couple of weeks. The way I see it is that even if it doesn't help, it surely (?) can't make it any worse. I was a massive sports fanatic before, but these days I'd just be glad to walk again. I couldn't even walk properly at my own wedding. My knee is knackered from walking on one side of my foot and all my other toes have become mishapen from all the extra weight. I'll let you know how I get on in a couple of months, I expect it to take that long before I can tell. After reading this I'm keeping everything crossed!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
(female)

CTmom HB User

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm still in a holding pattern and trying to be patient but it's hard when I don't see any improvement at all. I was hoping I might be able to get a shoe on by now, even if I couldn't walk on the foot, but no such luck. I'm also having a lot of hip pain from walking funny and wearing the boot which is one reason I don't want to wait too long for surgery unless there is some improvement. Are you weightbearing at all or on crutches? How long in the cast? Please let us know how you recovery goes. Hopefully all will be well soon!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
(female)

purity13264 HB User
Post-Surgery-Sesamoidectomy

I had a Sesamoidectomy in early August this year. It was a little tough for the first 2 weeks since I had to keep off it and constantly ice it. Hobbling around on 2 crutches for 6 weeks sucked, but I was able to move to 1 crutch for a few weeks and now I'm allowed to walk on my own two feet again. It feels great to walk, but I'm still getting pain. The pain I have is not in the surgical site, however. My arch near the ball of my foot feels strained some days and I'm recently experiencing some pretty intense pain on the top of my foot where my 2nd and 3rd toe bend when walking normally. I'm not scheduled to see the doc until the 23rd of this month, so we'll see what he says. I"m just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. From what I've read, most people on here are wondering more about surgery instead of talking about their experiences post surgery.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
(female)

rkd HB User

Hi there
I am now almost 4 weeks after surgery. It feels a lot worse than it was before surgery, but that might just be because it's taking a long time to heal. The pain is in the same place though, maybe that is inevitable as that is where they operated but I would have thought it might be less swollen after 4 weeks. Anyway it doesn't feel like it's getting better at the moment but will obviously let you know. My check up isn't until December so I suppose they expect it to take a while. Also had dissolvable stitches which wouldn't dissolve at either end so I've just literally pulled one out my foot and it's horrid. The walking cast/boot I got made my sesmoid much worse - infact I went from having 1 broken sesmoid to 2 with the boot. If it's hurting you then don't wear it... it honestly made me so much worse. Thankfully one sesmoid healed. Hope you get better soon.

Closed Thread