It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
(male)

beatdrum HB User
Unhappy Toenail fungus and swimming

I swim daily (7 days a week) for approximately 30+ minutes each day. Does anyone know the implications of this activity on toenail fungus?
I have been using Loprox Gel ).77% for several years to address fungal infection on all ten toenails. It has worked fairly well, pretty much clearing up 9 of the 10 nails. However, I have one persistent large toenail that is being quite stubborn. I was wondering if my swimming is making it any more difficult for this one toenail to clear up. After I swim and shower, I dry off the toes and apply the Loprox to all 10 toes (at this point, I am doing preventive for the other 9).
I was wondering if I should supplement the Loprox several hours later with another remedy (Tea tree oil, or ??) Or would this counter the benefits of Loprox.
Any thoughts and, also, do any physicians provide input on this board? This is my first post. Male, 61 years old. Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, or ???

Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
(female)

linda1962 HB User
Re: Toenail fungus and swimming

Hi Beatdrum,

First, I'm not a Doctor. Just wanted to clear that up. I do have some experience with toe fungus and have a few things I'd like to ask and mention. The one toe that persists with the fungus; is it in the same place as the fungus on the other toes? What part of the toe, near the top of the nail bed or on either side or is it at the base of the toe where the nail and cuticle meet. What color is it? Sometimes you can have a completely different type of fungus on your big toe than your other toes. If you're a jogger it can be from constant impact, if you wear tight leather shoes that can cause a pressure fungus where your toes meet. Age can also cause a problem with clearing it up. They become much more stubborn as we age simply because we're aging. Depending on wear the fungus is and what kind it is will depend on how you cure it. Have you ever been to the doctor or dermatologist to determine what kind of fungus you have?

There are SO many remedies out there. Sounds like you found a great one for the other toes - how long have you been battling this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #3
(male)

beatdrum HB User

The one toe that persists with the fungus; is it in the same place as the fungus on the other toes? What part of the toe, near the top of the nail bed or on either side or is it at the base of the toe where the nail and cuticle meet.
The entire toenail (big toe) is effected. The other nine toes have cleared up to an acceptable level.

What color is it? Sometimes you can have a completely different type of fungus on your big toe than your other toes.
It is yellowish/brown color with ridges and a "valley" in the middle where I filed it pretty thin about a year ago. Not sure, but seems like the toenail might have a "memory" and it may always "dip" in the middle.

If you're a jogger it can be from constant impact, if you wear tight leather shoes that can cause a pressure fungus where your toes meet.
I typically wear open toe sandals about 95% of the time! I do not jog.

Age can also cause a problem with clearing it up. They become much more stubborn as we age simply because we're aging.
I am 61.

Depending on wear the fungus is and what kind it is will depend on how you cure it. Have you ever been to the doctor or dermatologist to determine what kind of fungus you have?
I have been going to a dermatologist for several years. Currently using Loprox topical gel on a daily basis. As of two days ago, I am pulling out all the artillery... Loprox, tea tree oil, and Vicks VapoRub... twice each day! If this doesn't work, I may go to vinegar foot baths or ??

There are SO many remedies out there. Sounds like you found a great one for the other toes - how long have you been battling this?
At least 10 years.

Per my original question, is swimming on a daily basis having any impact (pro or con) on the toenail fungus? Wondering if the chlorine in the pool benefits the killing of the fungus.
Thanks for any additional ideas. bob

Old 11-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
(female)

linda1962 HB User

Obviously your swimming everyday will irritate it but it sounds like you've been very attentive in trying to keep it at bay. Please seek medical help for this. If the nail is "dipping" in the center that may mean that the infection is spreading deeper into your nail bed. They will most likely remove the nail in order to topically treat it which also means you're not going to swim for a short period of time. Otherwise, they may prescribe a nail lacquer to keep the exposer down. But then I would expect you might take the oral anti fungal treatment which has it's own side effects and can take up to a year to treat your infection. Big toe nails are the toughest. If the fungus is yellow or whitish then it's general and most often self treatable but the brown color could mean that it's becoming more serious. It's hard to tell without looking at it. If it's the entire nail then again it would be better to treat it by removing the nail. It can take a very long time for the nail to grow back but it's so worth it in the end. You shouldn't continue to treat it without seeing a dermatologist or GP. Stop Filing down the nail - you could be weakening the nail and allowing more bacteria to enter. Hope this helped a little.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
(male)

beatdrum HB User

I guess I should consider a systemic approach via oral medication. I'll see if my liver function is adequate to try this method. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
(male)

beatdrum HB User

Just curious to see if any other regular swimmers have had fungal problems with their toenails e.g. just to see if there is a connection.

Closed Thread