It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2003, 04:01 PM   #1

twidner HB User
Post peroneal tendon surgery

Hi
I know people have posted about this..
I would like some info from anyone who might have had this surgery..how long did it take for you to recover? how much pain were you in afterwards?
I tore a peroneal tendon in my right ankle. the tear runs along the tendon, not across it... Any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Tara

Old 10-13-2003, 10:53 AM   #2

SoccerScott HB User
Tara, I had the same surgery you did on Sept 22, 2003. I think your surgery was before mine. How are you doing ? I am in a non-weight bearing cast for another week and I think my doc's gonna put me in a walking cast for another six weeks. What do you do for exercise? I hope your surgery was successful. Thanks , Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

ready2talk2000 HB User
Re: peroneal tendon surgery

I noticed this thread is not real current, but I have recently hurt my ankle and the doctor ordered an MRI to see if it is a partial or complete peroneal tendon tear.

I have searched online, but cannot find out much about how long the hospital stay is,the length of recovery, whether you can work afterwards, and what stages occur, like different kinds of casts, crutches, etc.

If you have had this surgery, please let me know how it went for you. I appreciate it !!!

Deb

Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Deb,

What procedure is your doctor talking about using? I had a Brostom repair of my right ankle 22 months ago and would be happy to share my experience with you.

My surgery was out-patient, so I went home that afternoon. I was in a NWB cast for three weeks, then I was put into a CAM walker for another five weeks, and after that an ankle brace for another four or five weeks. I had six weeks of PT to regain balance and strength and have been fine ever since. I have an office job, so I was off work for almost six weeks, elevation is essential to keep the swelling down.

Hope that helps. -eko

Old 06-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

ready2talk2000 HB User

Eko, I do not know what kind of surgery my doctor is going to do. He is waiting to see the MRI results. All I know is that he said if it comes back a partial tear, then I wear the castboot for 6 weeks. If it comes back a complete tear then I will see him to discuss surgery. So am waiting for the MRI results. Hope to get them this week....

I am an elementary teacher of Music and PE. I stand all day long at my job. I have about 7 weeks left until School starts. Do you think if it is completely torn that I will be up for working again by that time? In cast, or walking boot, or??? And what about hospital stay? Anything you know I would appreciate. I have not had any experience with this injury before.

MANY, MANY thanks!!!! Deb

Old 06-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #6
(female)

ready2talk2000 HB User

Any info. you know about the procedure, hospital stay, length of cast, walking boot, out of work, etc. would be helpful. Just trying to prepare myself if the MRI comes back with a complete tear instead of a partial peroneal tendon tear. Many, Many thanks!!! Deb

Old 06-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
(female)

MFordCNA19 HB User

Hi Deb,

Maybe I can be of help to you. I had the Brostrom procedure and arthroscopic debridement of the ankle for torn ligaments and chronic instability on March 31. My surgery was outpatient. I went in at 10:30am and was discharged by 6pm. It was done under general anesthesia and was just over two and a half hours long. After the surgery, I was in a large post-op splint for 10 days. At the 10 day point, my stitches were removed and a cast (up to the knee) was put on for 3 weeks. I was non weight bearing on crutches all this time. After the cast came off at about 4 weeks post-op it was off the crutches, into the boot, and physical therapy was started. I wore the boot for 4 more weeks, then moved into a lace up ankle brace. I had therapy for 6 weeks...just finished up last week.

I just graduated high school (i'm 19), so my surgery was done the last quarter of my senior year. I missed 7 weeks of school, mainly due to being in pain and on crutches as my school did not have an elevator and my classes were on the second floor. Also, the stairs at school were where I initially injured my ankle, so my mom wasn't about to let me go back there on crutches.

It has now been about 10 weeks since surgery and I still deal with pain and swelling, but nothing as severe as it was before surgery. Now the only other problem I have is tendinitis that developed after beginning physical therapy because I had not used my ankle in so long.

Anyways, I hope I have been some help to you. I know peroneal tendon surgery and it's recovery is similar to what I had done. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Megan

Old 06-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
(female)

ready2talk2000 HB User

Thank you so much Megan for the info. I appreciate it. Hope you are doing well and that you don't injure yourself again!!! Thanks again! Deb :-)

Old 06-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
(female)

MFordCNA19 HB User

You're very welcome Deb. Please let me know what you find out when you go back to the docctor and get the MRI results back!

Megan

Old 08-31-2005, 08:26 AM   #10
(female)

ready2talk2000 HB User

Just to catch everyone up....I wore a castboot for 7 weeks then ended up having to have peroneal tendon repair surgery on July 27. I also had a bunionectomy on the same foot at the same time.

I have been in a castboot after the surgery. Was non-weightbearing for 4 weeks. Now partial weight bearing for 2 weeks, and hopefully 2 weeks of full weightbearing after that. I am to begin PT this week and have no idea how long that will last.

I hope to return to work 8 weeks post-op and will be standing all day long.

Let me know what is going on with all of you!

Deb

Closed Thread