It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2003, 08:10 PM   #1

extra bone ? HB User
Post extra bone in foot

The doc told me my foot pain was due to an "extra bone" in my foot, on the inside below my ankle. The tendons were being aggravated. So he took out the bone and reattached the tendons with "washers". About 4 months later i was able to start actively walking OUCH!!! Yes, i built up to walking very slowly. BUT...strange thing is pain is not in same place. It's on the inside edge. Doc says its the muscle and wants me to do physical therpy, anti inflamatory meds and to stop exercising!!!! I think he is treating the symptoms,not the cause. Will PT really help?? AM i gonna just have to live with this muscle pain and swelling every time i take a walk or on my foot all day? Anybody out there have an "extra bone"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 02:07 PM   #2

Ronk0747 HB User
Hi,

I believe the bone you are referring to is the accessory navicular and the tendon you're referring to is the posterior tibial tendon (the tendon that supports the arch). I am now 8 weeks post-op from a major foot surgery. I had a very severly collapsed arch due to degeneration of the tendon as well as the extra bone. They removed the bone and transplanted another tendon to replace the damaged one as well as doing a fusion to reconstruct the arch.

Recovery time is long--3 months non-weight bearing and 2 more months in a revovable walking cast. PT does not start until 5 months post-op. My doc told me that pain and swelling can last up to a year and that patience is the word here. Excercise is good but listen to your body. In other words, pain is telling you, "Stop, that enough!". Be sure to do the PT excercises they give you as atrophied muscles most be rebuilt within a year or they lose their ability to regenerate.

Go by the book and you should be OK.

Ron

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread