It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 AM   #1
(female)

noname12345 HB User
achy feet in the morning

When I get up in the morning, my feet are very achy and sore. The first 10 steps I take are very painful. My feet aren't swollen, just achy. The pain goes away as I walk more and more, but those first few steps really hurt! Any ideas on why?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

cantwalk HB User
Re: achy feet in the morning

sounds like you've developed plantar faciitis. i got them somehow after surgery but you can also get them if you're on your feet alot. muscles under the foot-facsia mucle gets sore and aches with first steps in the morning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
(female)

noname12345 HB User

Hmm . . . I'll have to look into it. I'm a teacher, so I am on my feet all day!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User

Sounds like plantar fasciitis. I had an injury and tore mine, and by not letting it heal I developed chronic tears and other problems, and just had surgery.
It hurts the most with the first few steps because the Plantar fascia is tight and hasnt stretched out yet, and throughout the day it loosens up. The best thing you can do is when you wake up in the morning, before getting out of bed and taking a step, give yourself a little foot rub. Using lotion or baby oil works well. Use your thumb and just start from heal, putting some good pressure, work it all the way up to ball of your foot or your toes. Push kind of deep if you can, but so its not painful. Try that for a few minutes every morning and see if it works. I'd also do it before you go to bed. There's also night splints. I wore one but it didnt really work for my condition, but for some people they do. They just take some time to get used to. If it starts to bother you during the day, freeze a can of pop and roll your foot over it. hope it helps.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
(female)

pohtr HB User

Do you think it is plantar faciitis if the discomfort is for the first ten steps or so but is less of an ache & more of a feeling like your feet are VERY swollen but they're not?
If massaging them before getting up helps then would it "prove" the diagnosis?
And what is plantar faciitis anyway? What causes it? What's the cure?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User

The achy feet in the morning doesnt necessarily mean PF, but its the most common symptom of it. The pain decrease after the first few steps as it stretches out, but may return after prolonged time on your feet. PF is inflammation of the ligament that runs from your heel to the ball of your foot. Usually the bottom or inside of the heel may hurt, or the actual arch. Commonly happens in people with flat heet or high arches, but anyone can have it regardless. It is one of the most common causes of foot pain.

Ive always had flat feet so have always had foot problems, but I tore my plantar fascia in Oct of 2005. I was put in a walking boot, which helped for a little, but everything just got gradually worse. Theres physical therapy, orthotics, night splints, icing, etc. Stretching is extremely beneficial. It may sound unrelated, but also stretch out your calves. Calf tightness and PF go together. The key is to take care of it before it gets worse. Also, take a look at your footwear. Shoes with a slight heel (even running shoes that are slightly higher in the back) are best.

Because mine was torn, none of these really had much of an effect on me. I ended up recently having this brand new non/minimally invasive surgery, and so far am doing great. Theres other surgeries and noninvasive procedures out there, but those arent something u need to worry about yet. For right now just do stretches and foot massages, ice if it hurts, and just make sure u have comfy shoes. If it gets worse see a Podiatrist.

(sorry so long)

Last edited by Socrriss18; 12-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

I think I developed PF from physical therapy post bunionectomy. I had surgery in April but the pain didn't start until about a month ago. I called my Dr and he said it was probably PF due to the symptoms I described (mostly the morning pain). It was really painful for a couple weeks but now has seemed to subside completely. Has anyone had PF that's gone away on it's own? Should I still go see a Dr? I live in a different area now so I can't go see the Podiatrist that did my bunionectomy.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User

My opinion... if the PF isnt bothering you anymore, then no need to see the doctor now. Just be preventative now. Stretch your calves often, wear good shoes, ice it if starts to hurts.

How was your bunionectomy experience by the way? I had surgery on my plantar fascia on my right foot, but will most likely eventually need surgery for a bunion on the left. I've only had issues with it once, where it hurt for a few weeks out of nowhere and how i found out about it, but then it just went away and now doesnt bother me one bit.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
(female)

pohtr HB User

If it only hurts for the first 10 steps in the morning then why bother with it at all? Does PF hurt at other times? I think in my case it just doesn't hurt that much, except it has been getting worse gradually over time.
Do you think a double bunionectomy will worsen it? (I bet I already know the answer to that one...)

Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohtr View Post
If it only hurts for the first 10 steps in the morning then why bother with it at all? Does PF hurt at other times?
PF is a progressive problem, that usually worsens if something is done about it. Most people get pain from being on their feet for an extended period of time.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Pohtr,
I've been getting treatment for PF for the past 5 months. I had never heard of this. One day I woke up and could hardly walk and didn't know what the problem was. I'm on my feel all day and was not wearing supportive shoes or stretching. If I had known the warning signs of this then I wouldn't have gotten it so severely. I literally could not walk for any distance, had to step on my tippy toes and I was miserable until I got treatment. If your already having pain first thing in the morning go in and get treatment, it's worth your time. I've been using over the counter orthotics but get my custom ones this week. Make sure you don't wear unsupportive shoes or go barefoot, except to get in/out of the shower or bed.

Soccriss18,
What did the surgery involve? Is it for chronic PF? I'm just wondering since I've had it so many months and just can't get totally healed.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
(female)

Socrriss18 HB User

Taape,
I've always had flat feet and have had issues, but once I tore it Nov 2005 playing college soccer that was the beginning of the end. It gradually got worse, to the point where I was no longer able to run, and even a typical day at work would leave me in a lot of pain. As an otherwise healthy 21 yr old, this was a big concern, and we feared how it would effect me in the future. We tried physical therapy, walking boots, night splints, and everything else. I had always been told that PF release was the only option, and that it didnt have great success rates, so had thought I was just out of luck.
This summer we saw a bunch of the top doctors in the Chicago land area(podiatrists and orthopedics), and didnt realize till after the fact that they were all in the same circle (although had different opinions as far as treatment). After MRI's, Bone scans, Ultrasounds, etc a couple of the doctors suggested Extracoropeal Shockwave Treatment (Non-invasive, done at either a low frequency while awake a few times, or once at a high frequency while sedated I believe). This procedure is new, expensive, and not usually covered by insurance. Was told it would be about $5,000, and we would have done this, however, another surgeon told us he didnt think this would work for me since I have scar tissue. Before spending that kind of dough we wanted some agreement. That surgeon suggested an even newer surgery, called Topaz. It uses radiowave coblation microdebridement via a "wand." Its not new technology, but new for PF treatment. A small incision (about 1" long) is made, and then this low temperature "wand" is inserted into the soft tissue in a gridlike pattern, poking small holes and removing some of the tissue. This works to stimulate bloodflow and healing to the area. My surgeon was able to do it without an incision, but rather made small holes through the skin. I had no incisions, and no need for stitches, which helps recovery seeing as the incision itself if often what delays healing. Suture tape was used over some of the holes, and then it was wrapped in surgical dressings for a week. It was done under twilight anesthesia, but I dont remember a thing.
I had the procedure done at the end of august and am doing great! My surgeon did it on 3 areas of my foot because I had extensive damage, so I think we counted like 40 holes, but usually theres only like 15 or so I believe. It was honestly really cool looking. I was put in a walking boot, and was on crutches for about 6 weeks. Usually people are only on them for a week or two though, but I had a lot of work done, and because I was going back to school and would be moving around a lot. I've been taking it easy, and havent gotten back to full workouts yet, although I feel good enough that I probably could. I just havent had a reason to push it, so Im not. I have done activities requiring a LOT of walking and time on my feet, and I can honestly say I've already felt better with that. I am now waiting for my custom orthotics to come in. Obviously, only time will tell if it worked, but so far we are absolutely pleased with it.
There have been some tv and news specials about this procedure, so let me know if you'd like a link to one of them. Otherwise, do an internet search for "Topaz Procedure." Theres a few famous athletes that have had this done on tendons and stuff, such as Dominique Moceanu. the gymnast. Search her name with Topaz and you'll find good explanations of it. Good Luck, and let me know if theres anything else you need.

(Sorry so Long)

Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out. I'm just getting real frustrated with my feet hurting all the time even though it's getting better.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I have often thought I would be in a world of hurt if I had to jump out of bed and run for it because I sure couldn't do it. The bottoms of my feet are so painful when I first step foot out of bed and the first few footsteps it is very painful but it goes away quickly. I didn't have any of this until a I had a few months of diagnosed PF in just one heal but now both feet bottoms hurt when I first step foot out of bed. My feet are otherwise healthy and never had any problems with them even though I have always had work that required walking the entire time. So who knows why this develops.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
(female)

pohtr HB User

With PF is the pain in the arch, or on the pads, or all over? Mine only hurt on the pads and feels more like achey tenderness than pain, like they're swollen and tender. What else that also cause "first steps in the morning" pain? How is PF diagnosed? I also have the aching with the first few steps after any length of time (30 min or so) off my feet.

Closed Thread