It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

kristim06 HB User
Question Surgery for PTTD...scheduled and waiting

I know I posted a thread before this one saying that I was meeting with my doctor and he was going to explain everything and I just had that meeting about a week ago. I will be having surgery on January 31st he will be moving my heel bone back, replacing the post tibial tendon with one he will graft from one of my toes, placing a pin or a stich in the outside of my ankle to secure it, and right now my big toe kind of over laps the toe next to it so he is going to fix that issue and then he said something about a tendon or a muscle that goes up to my calf that he was going to do something with that to make it strech more. ( I do not have all the technical names but he did say them all to me, I had a ton of other things on my mind and have a call into him right now with some questions) Does this sound like anyone else's procedure and what can I expect in terms of pain and rebounding from this? I am nervous, anxious, and excited all that the same time! I have pre op on January 17th with everyone else (anthesiaologist, nurses, and lab work)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
(female)

sunny77 HB User
Re: Sugery for PTTD...schedualed and waiting

Kristin,
Yes, your procedure sounds like what others on this board have had done. The posterior tibial tendon will be repaired by using the FDL tendon (connects to the toes)...this is a pretty common part of PTT surgery. The release of some muscles in your calf is to allow stretching, as when the heel cord is too tight, it pulls and makes the other muscles/tendons/ligaments that support the foot work hard (called equinus). I had a different kind of osteotomy done, so can't speak much to what it's like, but I know Mazzie and a number of others had that done. Did you find out what kind of time line you're looking at? Cast? NWB? Staying overnight in hospital? Pain meds? Did your dr call back to answer your questions? You'll think of more along the way, so just jot them down and ask away (here and dr). Good luck!
Krista

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

kristim06 HB User

Krista,
My doctor has called me back but it was during a rough time, my father just passed away so it has been very hectic, so I missed his call. The time line will be 2 weeks in a splint, 4 weeks in a cast NWB, and then 4 weeks in a boot weight bearing as tolerated. This should be a day surgery, I will be going in at 730am and surgery should be about two hours after I arrive at 930ish. I am not sure how long the surgery lasts, how long did your last? Is there a lot of pain following the surgery? The only way I will stay overnight is if I don't come out of the anatesia very well. I will be on pain meds when I leave most likely either percoet or vicodin (I would personally go with vicodin I have never really been on percoet but my mom does not do well with it.) The thing that sticks about this is the fact that this surgery is on my right foot....no driving for me for a while.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
(male)

lyksbmx HB User
Re: Surgery for PTTD...scheduled and waiting

That's the exact same surgery I had almost 6 weeks ago. I had a little extra done but everything else is the same. I stayed overnight in the hospital, and I'm really glad I did. My surgery was 5 hours long, and when I finally woke up there was no way I was getting in and out of a car. Plus, they pump you full of antibiotics the whole time, so I wasn't too worried about an infection. My pain was never very bad. The second day, when the block wore off was pretty rough but I went off the heavy duty stuff (percocet and oxycontin) after about 3 or 4 days. I guess others here have had more trouble with pain. I kept my foot elevated the entire first two weeks...I only got up to go to the bathroom and I think that helped a lot because I'm six weeks in and feel like I could walk on it right now. But...I have 8 weeks left before that happens.
I had a big 'ol surgical boot for the first two weeks. I'm still in my regular cast until my appointment on Monday (cross my fingers that he changes it), then it's a NWB air cast for 4 more weeks, and a walking boot for 4 more weeks. I still elevate it whenever i'm not crutching around. In fact, I'm sitting at work with my foot on the desk right now!
The first two weeks are pretty rough. Laying in bed constantly was pretty horrible for me. The worst part was waking up in the morning and then just laying there. It's like, well...I'm up now. Big deal. It was probably about a month before I could get around easily and be up for extended periods of time.
I had surgery on my right foot also, so let me just say that I'm a pro at driving with my left foot now. Get a litle practice in now while you still have two feet! It's not too hard. If I could give one piece of advice, it would be to go to a medical supply store and buy a wedge. It's been an elevation life saver! I don't know what I would have done without it.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Kristin,
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Was it sudden? You are going through a lot right now and this dang PTTD and upcoming surgery sure aren't helping things!

I'm also going to be having surgery (PTTD) on my right foot in January...just got the word from my dr and am waiting to find out the date. The surgery on my left foot lasted about an hour, but it depends on what procedures are done. I'm a "light-weight" with anesthesia, so it took me a good 20 minutes to come out of it and I just decided to stay overnight. They gave me IV morphine, which I took as often as it was allowed. It was painful, but more when I was up (and foot was down, throbbing, turning blue and swelling...pure gravity). Meds managed the pain well, as did elevating it and putting ice packs on (ankle and behind the knee). I think you're having the sliding osteotomy (cut the whole heel bone and move over, then pin it?), so I'm not sure if that makes a difference pain-wise.

I had the exact timeline your dr has planned for you. Stitches came out at 2 wks, steri strips on. I brought my razor to shave before the cast went on and for after the cast came off....you'd be amazed at how hairy your legs get when in the dark!! That was my own little quirk I guess!

Everyone's pain threshhold is a bit different; I took pain meds for a good 2-3 months, though it was drastically reduced in dose and frequency. My job requires me to drive and go in homes, nursing homes, etc., so I'm up and about and don't get to rest, elevate and ice as much, so that might have contributed to my pain. Plus, my dr recommended taking pain meds before PT because you get sore from it. Percocet is a higher level pain med (vs Vicodin, which is a lower level narcotic) and there are others that can be used if you're sensitive to that one. One thing I really wanted and was told I could have, then they didn't have an anesthesiologist who could do one is a popliteal block (behind the knee, numbs your foot). This brings a lot of pain relief after surgery, but once it wears off, it can be really bad if you haven't taken any pain meds. I'm going to see if I can get one this time around and then maybe go home instead of staying in the hospital.

Driving...I've been teaching myself to drive left footed, like Lyksbmx. It isn't too hard really, cross your right behind your left and shift in your seat a bit. May have to move the seat up a tad. Get the handicap tag BEFORE surgery if you can, or send someone into the DMV to get it for you...I made the mistake of waiting til I discharged from the hospital and it was a pain! Even if you aren't driving, you'll want it for whomever is driving so you don't have to walk far. Have you looked into a knee scooter? That made a 100% difference for me...2 days on crutches about did me in (long hallways at work...ugh!! so tiring!) and the scooter kept me independent.

Well, I think I'll stop for now, but feel free to ask more questions! You and I will be on a very similar timeline, so keep posting...it helps to have others going through the same thing to talk with.
Take care,
Krista

Old 12-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Krisitn,
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You sure have a lot going on right now. Please continue to post here. This is a great place to bring your questions and your worries. More than likely someone who reads your post will understand what you are going through, and even those who don't understand may share some encouragement.
I had surgery on my right ankle last year and couldn't drive fro about 4 months. I am not sure hwere you live or how the laws differ from state to state, but my dr told me I was not allowed to drive. As a matter of fact, he said that if I was in an accident and I was driving it would automatically be at fault and charged with driving while impaired. It is tough to get used to, but you may have to rely on others to get you around for a while.
I am happy you joined us and I look forward to reading more about you.
Step

Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
(female)

paulajr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristim06 View Post
Krista,
My doctor has called me back but it was during a rough time, my father just passed away so it has been very hectic, so I missed his call. The time line will be 2 weeks in a splint, 4 weeks in a cast NWB, and then 4 weeks in a boot weight bearing as tolerated. This should be a day surgery, I will be going in at 730am and surgery should be about two hours after I arrive at 930ish. I am not sure how long the surgery lasts, how long did your last? Is there a lot of pain following the surgery? The only way I will stay overnight is if I don't come out of the anatesia very well. I will be on pain meds when I leave most likely either percoet or vicodin (I would personally go with vicodin I have never really been on percoet but my mom does not do well with it.) The thing that sticks about this is the fact that this surgery is on my right foot....no driving for me for a while.
Hi,
Sorry for your loss.
I am also in Massachusetts, and am recovering from what sounds like the exact same surgery. I stayed in the hospital for FOUR days however...I cannot believe you would be doing day surgery! Yikes! I was supposed to be in 3 days, but they kept me 4.
My surgery was Oct 10, and I was supposed to return to school after the holidays (I'm a teacher), but I just came to the realization that there was NO way I'll be ready. I moved my return date to after the end of 1st semester (last week in Jan.).
I ALSO had the surgery in my right foot...and don't see driving in the next few weeks at all.
I made the mistake of applying for a temporary handicapped placquard (sounded like a great idea..and it has been VERY handy!) ..but the Mass Registry, when they sent it to me, made me SURRENDER MY LICENSE! So, when I finally get to the point that I can drive again, I have to fight with the registry to get my license back! I need to get a note from the doctor, etc...

I wish you well with your surgery. Read the past boards, they have helped me SO much in getting through this. From knowing what to get to prepare (shower stuff, cast cover, knee walker, etc) to just knowing that my aches and pains since then are "normal".

good Luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
(female)

kristim06 HB User
Smile Re: Surgery for PTTD...scheduled and waiting

Hello everyone!! Now that the holidays are calming down I can now write back. Thank you all for your condolenses. As far as it being a sudden thing, that it was not my dad has been very sick for about 10 year and exteremly sick for the last year. (he was the one that actually introduced me to my foot doctor, my foot doctor actually saved my father's foot from being amputated when every other doctor thought that it would have to be)

I have been told because of how young I am I should bounce back fairly quickly (as quickly as you can with this type of surgery) Paulajr where in massachusetts did you have your surgery? I am having mine at the Faulkner Hospital in Boston (they are part of Brigham and Women's Hospital) I have really been told it will be a day surgery unless I do not come out of the anestisia well. Paulajr how long were you in surgery for (or anyone that has had close to what I am having?) My uncle is a state trooper and he told me it is better not to chance applying for the handicap card thing because if I do have to surrender my license it will be a pain to get it back. I am lucky that I work a desk job so I am going to try to be back to work within a week or two after having my surgery I have plenty of room to elevate my foot and plenty of people to help me out.

lyksbmx I am taking your advice and I bought two wedges for my foot one to have while at work and one to have at home!

Krista~Did you find out your surgery when your surgery will be? I think it will be nice to know that someone else is going through almost the same thing at the same time line. (not that I wish that was happening to you again and very sorry it is, my doc has made me wear the custom made orthodics in hopes that it does not happen to my other foot. The razor thing is so funny, I am going to say I have a small case of OCD when it comes to shaving (I have to do it everyday!!) and it killed me when the cast went on for a month let alone all the time through this who surgery thing haha! I think I may take your advice and bring a razor. Now with the pain thing is the popliteal block something they ask you if you want and is it in addition to anesthesia or do you have to have one or the other?? I am going to try over the next few weeks to teach myself how to drive with my left foot I only have to drive like maybe a mile to the train station and then back again at night. I wish I could get a handicap thing but the state of massachusetts might make me surrender my license and it will be a pain to get back. I am looking into the knee scooter over the next couple of weeks.

Right now I am sched at the hospital for pre-op on Jan 17th (20 days away) then in the afternoon seeing my primary care doc. And my surgery is Jan 31st (34 days away). I am nervous and anxious and excited all at the same time excited for the the outcome and being able to eventually go back to normal and nervous and anxious because I have never really had surgery and a little nervous about the pain.

So how is everyone else doing? Hope everyone had a great holiday and will have a happy new year!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Kristin,
I am scheduled for surgery (posterior tibial tendon repair and an Evans osteotomy) on Feb 26...I'm kind of bummed that it's out that far, but that was the soonest my dr had available. There is a cancellation list, but I'm not holding my breath that it'll happen any sooner. Being able to get outside to run this spring and summer was a big goal since I lost last spring, summer and fall to the same thing. With surgery being pushed to Feb, almost March, it'll be July before I can get out there. I just can't wait to be active again, without pain or other issues!

I think there is definitely some truth in saying that you'll bounce back sooner since you're younger... that is my case and my dr said I was ahead of the curve in most ways. I think I told you I was "running" at 4 months post-op, so if that helps give you an idea. Being motivated and healthy help the healing move along.

The popliteal block is something that can be done in addition to general anesthesia. I made it clear to my dr that I wanted that this time around...they didn't have an anesthesiologist who knew how to do it (read: a younger, freshly trained one vs the old school when they didn't do the blocks), so I didn't get it. My understanding is that it helps with pain management afterwards, for 12-18 hrs. The big thing my dr mentioned is making sure to take pain meds during that time regardless of pain, as once the block wears off, the pain can be intense. It's difficult to catch up once you're behind--in pain. You'll probably want to ask about that during your pre-op at the hospital...and let them know you want it. I think it's possible not to have general with the block, but you'd be awake and hear everything, including the saw!

I stayed overnight in the hospital last time, but if I get the block this time, I might go home sooner (not stay overnight). It was nice to have the electric bed, food brought in, IV pain meds, and the attention in general, but I was definitely ready to get out of there and go home (well, to my parents).

I live alone (well, have a dog) and have stairs to deal with. I was pretty amazed at how I adapted to things...and how fast my body wore down (going from being active and in shape to having strong arms and little stamina...it happens unfortunately).

They don't have the same rule about taking away one's license once one has gotten a handicap (temporary, 1-6 months) card here. My job requires me to drive and go into homes, facilities, hospitals, etc., so I'd be in real trouble without it. I have taught myself how to drive left-footed, it's not bad. There are left foot accelerators available out there, but they're like $250+!

Oh, just a word of advice: don't wait too long to get the scooter. They can be quite difficult to get ahold of and you may have to wait, put your name in, etc. to get one in time for surgery. They are in demand!

That got long! Hopefully that answered some of your questions!
Krista

Last edited by sunny77; 12-28-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
(female)

kristim06 HB User

I am 2 days away from my pre op physical and 3 days away from my phone pre op with the anistheologist (sp?? sorry) My surgery is 16 days away. I am getting more nervous as each day goes by. I know it will all be worth it in the end. Anyone else get reall y nervous before they had their surgery done??

Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
(female)

sunny77 HB User

I got pretty nervous before my surgery too. As much as everyone fills you in on what to expect, there's still that unknown piece that is in the back of your head. I threw myself into getting ready, like cleaning my place really well since I knew it'd be awhile before I could do so again, stocking up on things I'd need, packing (stayed w/ my parents for awhile), spending time with friends, talking out my anxieties, etc. You might want to think of explanations for your surgery (it drove me nuts after awhile that strangers would come up to me to find out what I had done, what that scooter was, the recovery involved, etc. People don't understand the tendon issue and all the rest...too complicated!). Sleep didn't come easily the night before, but I certainly made up for that the week after! If you can focus on other things, try to do that...your foot takes over your world after surgery and it's what everyone asks about/talks about (see above). Know that you're nervousness is normal...part of things and that it'll get better!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
(female)

kristim06 HB User
Angry Re: Surgery for PTTD...scheduled and waiting

Hi Everyone,
I spoke with my Doctor last night and before I saw anything I am going to throw this out there. My doctor is awesome, he is one of the best around and I know from experience! (he was my dad's doctor) I would change having him for anything. Now with that said. Here is my issue....
I have had this surgery schedualed since November and the 31st of Jan was the first time they could fit me in. I took that appointment. After speaking with him last night (I called him because I had some more questions for him) He answered all my question which I will get back to at the end of this post. He asked me when my surgery was (he has a ton of patients) I told him the date and he then said to me that my surgery is going to have to be reschedualed because he has to give a hospital lecture. (I am not happy about this) I am going in for my pre op and the whole physical 30 days before thing today. When I called his office this morning and spoke with his secratary she took my phone number and told me she would call me back that she had to sit down with the doctor and go over his or scheduale to put all the patients that had surgeries that day in somewhere else. I guess I just now wait till she calls me back and then I can go from there. Right now I only hope it is close to the original date that I had (well still currently have)
Oh yes then one other little curve ball I got thrown with this is that he said that I am probably going to have to stay over night one night.
Now to the questions I asked him:
Length of surgery~ 2.5 hours
When would PT be ~ 6 to 7 weeks post op
can I have a Popliteal Block~ he has no problem giving me one and will do so.

I am really fustrated with this scheduale thing and don't know quite what to make of it. I know he is busy so I just hope it doesn't get pushed back to much further. And I was really looking forward to the end cause right now i am in pain all the time.

Hope everyone is doing well~

Kristin

Old 01-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
(female)

kristim06 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Surgery for PTTD...scheduled and waiting

Okay since writing my last entry yesterday things have changed slightly. Since I made my call to my doctor's office when I did they called me back last night and told me they had a cancellation for this coming thursday the 24th of jan. I will be going in for my surgery then around 4 pm. I am nervous and happy that they could still do it soon. I promise to keep everyone posted

Old 01-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
(female)

rochestersown1 HB User

The best of luck to you kristi...
Recovery will be rough at times, but hang in there...

I still have pain 7 months post-op...but I had quite a bit of work done. However, my post op pain is less of a bother than the pain I endured for several years with PTTD.

Again, Good Luck and All the Best. Let us know how you're coming along when you are up to it.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
(female)

kristim06 HB User

Good Morning Everyone!!
I am now 3 days post op. The surgery went very very well according to my surgereon. It took him about 3 hours to do it. But he did not have to do everything he thought he was going to have to do. No pins, no placing a wedge of bone. But the did find lateral tearing (which did not come up on the mri) of the post tibial tendon. he did the fdl transfer and slid my heel bone back. I am doing great post recovery right now. Other than at night the vicodin they gave me is not reallyhelping much. I will keep you all posted

Closed Thread