It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
(female)

kat6745 HB User
Had stitches removed today :)

Hi, My podiatrist removed my stitches today. I had a bunionectomy & endoscopic plantar fasciotomy on Dec. 17. I am not quite at the 2 weeks post-op mark (it's in 3 days). I have 2 questions:

1. Is this too soon? My incisions still look REALLY ugly & are SUPER sensitive now that all the bandages are off. I am still pretty bruised up & prone to swelling if I leave my foot down too long.

2. At what point did your docs remove your stitches & how did you feel later that day?

I'm probably just being a baby, but my foot feels so vulnerable. My exercises hurt more (I guess I overdid?? maybe?) and I'm all swollen. I could just be noticing more swelling now that I can actually see my whole foot, too. I've already "bumped" it or otherwise slightly hurt myself a few times today and am wondering if any of you had this problem right after your stitches came out.

I've actually got a soft cotton footie sock on with my ace-type bandage wrapped around it and am now wearing my splint just for some protection. The doc said I do still need to sleep in the splint, but don't have to wear it all day like before, but I kinda feel like it's too soon.

Am I just being overly cautious or should I listen to my intution?
Thanks!
Kathy

Old 12-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
(female)

becky060599 HB User
Re: Had stitches removed today :)

As previous folks have stated on previous threads, you need to continue to elevate your foot. You will continue to have swelling for a while. It is nothing to be concerned about. I am 3 months post surgery and still have some swelling. The ace bandage will help keep the swelling down.
As far as the stitches, the area will look bad but will heal. Just keep the area clean. Listen to what your doctor says, and read the threads on this site. There is alot of good information.
You will be fine. Just continue to elevate....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
(female)

delem HB User

Also remember that if the stitches stay in there too long it will sorta "grow into" your skin. It becomes more difficult to remove. I personally had my stitches removed at 3 weeks but I don't think doctors like to go any longer than that.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
(female)

wildflower73 HB User

I am having my stitches out on Jan 2nd and that will be 3 weeks. They normally do it at 2 weeks but are closed for the Holidays. Do you think there is anything I should do to prior to make them easier to come out? I'm going to call the nurse in the morning to see if I should soak my foot or anything. Was it painful at all? I'm sure it can't be as bad as right after my surgery. I had bunionectomy and osteotomy and have a small incision where the tendon was cut and a large one where they cut the bone out and installed the hardware. Thanks - Lisa

QUOTE=modelem;3367091]Also remember that if the stitches stay in there too long it will sorta "grow into" your skin. It becomes more difficult to remove. I personally had my stitches removed at 3 weeks but I don't think doctors like to go any longer than that.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
(female)

delem HB User

Lisa, my stitches came out quickly and without any pain and the doctor didn't give me any special instructions beforehand. As a matter of fact, I'm almost certain that he WILL NOT allow you to wet your stitches. If you allow your foot to get wet before the incisions are closed you greatly increase the risk of infection. Just wait for the doctor to give you the 'ok'. I wasn't allowed to until 4 week but that's because I still had pins sticking out the ends of my toes. Once you've given the all clear, be absolutely sure that you foot is dry before re-wrapping it.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
(female)

kat6745 HB User

Thanks for your replies everyone. I really appreciate the input. I'm taking your advice, Becky, and elevating just like before the stitches were removed. Seems to be helping.

Lisa - I was sort of apprehensive going into the stitch removal process, but had no pain whatsoever. I really didn't feel much of anything at all, which was a pleasant surprise. It only took a couple of minutes, too.

Have a good evening, everyone.
Kathy

Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
(female)

Dark_Light HB User

Hi kathy,

I guess this is kind of a late reply.

I had my stitches out on the 4th day, they usually take them out from the 12th day, so you have noting to worry about. My incision looked bloody, and after they cleaned it, it looked scabby, it didn't look too bad even though I am very squeamish! You are lucky to be doing your exercises as early as you are. I didn't start mine until the beginning of the seventh week. When they took my bandage off to take the stitches out, my foot didn't look swollen because of the compression, they made me keep it on for another week, and a day after I took it off, it began to swell a little. But it has since decreased a little. It really helps to keep your foot elevated as much as possible, the less pressure you put on it, the more energy it has to heal. Well that''s my theory anyway! Ensure you do you ankle exercises as well. I guess you are now cleared to shower/bath!

Take care

Closed Thread