It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

joanieb314 HB User
recent Jones Fracture

I fell 4 weeks ago and suffered a Jones Fracture of the left foot. Much of the bruising has gone down. Just a little black and blue left. I'm in a boot up to the knee (on 24 hours a day, only off to shower), not a hard cast. Dr. said it would take a minimum of 6 weeks to heal as long as I kept weight off of the foot. I am doing a good job. After the first 2 weeks and the second set of x-rays there was no change. Actually the fracture was a little more defined. That got me down. I am an active, independent woman in her mid fiftees. I go to the Gym atleast 4 days a week, I do cardio and lift weights. I work full time. I am always busy. Now...I have become dependent on the rest of the world. I have lost all muscle tone in my left leg. I am doing OK with the crutches. I think all the years of weight training has given me enough upper body strenghth. My good leg gets tired alot and I have cramping in the calf usually in the middle of the night. I see the Dr. again on 1/21 and will get another set of x-rays just prior to the appointment. I'm trying to stay positive, but I don't expect a change in the situation even after the first 6 weeks. If there is no change the Dr. will order a bone stimulator that I am supposed to use at night. Now...if that doesn't help, then I am faced with surgery.
Does anyone out there have anything positive to say about this fracture and what kind of real down time I am facing here. My daughter is getting married on 6/29/08 and I really want to dance at the wedding. Will that happen?
Any imput will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by joanieb314; 01-09-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 02:32 AM   #2
(female)

relteach HB User
Re: recent Jones Fracture

Hi joanie,

I truly feel your pain and frustration. Last March I fell and broke my right 5th met.--a jones fracture. I, too, wondered what the healing process would be like. I can tell you this. First, everyone heals differently, so my situation will probably not be yours. Second, if you follow your docs directions to a T you stand a good chance of being able to dance at the wedding. Those are the positives.
I am curious as to why you are in a boot. I was put in a hard "jones cast" so that the bone could not shift. I will tell you that from my own research that this fracture is the most difficult to heal. Your doc may not tell you that because it could get you down. You said that the fracture was more defined on the last xray--it may be because you are not in a hard cast. I was told at the beginning that if I wanted to avoid surgery, I needed to keep the foot still all the time, hence the hard cast. You can do research to find out about jones fractures and the info is not very encouraging. I was determined to be one who avoided surgery (because surgery could mean a lifetime of problems later) and acheived bone union where the bone is stronger than before the break.
I was in a hard cast for 15 weeks, an aircast for 12 weeks. The first 6 in the aircast were partial weightbearing. I used crutches as well. My doc wanted to use a bone stimulator but my insurance (BC/BS) would not cover (most will not cover it, BTW) it and no way I could afford several thousand dollars. So I patiently waited (ok, sometimes not so patiently). Eventually, in Oct. I was cleared and fully healed, fracture just barely visible on xray. I have been back working out and taking several flights of stairs a day.
It does take awhile. The more you elevate the foot, the better. The more you keep it still the better. I would ask for a hard cast--yes they are a pain but healing will come more quickly. If you can get the bone stimulator, even better.
I know you wanted to hear some positive things, but the reality is that you are in healing mode and it will take awhile. But, you will heal, though slowly, it will happen.
If you have any other questions just shoot them this way.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
(female)

joanieb314 HB User
Re: recent Jones Fracture

Thanks for your experience. The orthopedic surgeon I am using has excellent qualifications and luckily is the best friend of my brother. It was a toss up in the beginning whether to cast me or have me use the boot. He said if this had happened to his wife, he would put her in a boot also. I feel alot better in the boot as it allows me to shower. That is the only time the boot comes off. I've been following Dr's orders to a "T" for the past month. I have not put any weight on my foot at all. If there is no change with the next set of x-rays I will then use a bone stimulator. I was hurt at work, so workers comp is paying all medical bills. I am unaware of the cost of a stimulator. I am keeping my fingers crossed at the moment and hoping for a somewhat faster than normal recovery. Thanks!

Last edited by joanieb314; 01-10-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Closed Thread