It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
foot exercises..post op bunionectomy

How soon did you start foot exercises? Any suggestions? I am 4 weeks post op and my big toe and incision area is very stiff. I'm gingerly moving it, don't want to do anything too soon. I hobble around and am putting some weight on it, while I stand....very little.... How aggressively did you start to exercise the toe area? It feels numb, but many say this is normal. Incision site is still "sealing off.."

Old 01-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: foot exercises..post op bunionectomy

ask your dr. maybe pt would help now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
(female)

KathJack HB User

Did your doctor give you any instructions? If he/she did tell you to move it back and forth, don't be afraid to do it as it could be essential for regaining flexibility. My doctor had me start after two weeks; he said that it was really important. I felt very squeamish; it wasn't actually painful; the IDEA just seemed scarey-- What if I pushed too far?, etc. But I did do it and am glad I did. You may have had a different procedure and need to wait longer-- But I wouldn't wait any longer to find out..

Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

He did say I could move it back and forth and I wiggle my toe some. I'm still nervous I might break what he so recently fixed. I was wondering what specific exercises that anyone found helpful? Thanks for your encouragement.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
(female)

KathJack HB User

I also picked up marbles and a towel (scrunching it up) using my toes-- but not both at the same time! LATER, I stood about a foot or two away from a wall and leaned forward so I was standing on my toes. The main thing though was the bending back and forth and walking (wearing gym shoes, not surgical shoes that don't allow the toes to bend). The ultimate goal is to regain the same range of motion you had before the surgery. Shortly before I had my surgery, I met a young woman at work who had had a bunionectomy on one foot and hadn't done PT or much exercise afterward. She said that she really regretted it; that her toe was stiff and she didn't think it was ever going to get better-- That influenced my determination to faithfully do the exercises; that and my own doctor's advice, of course.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

dont be afraid of moving it. it will become stiff otherwise.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g, could you please be more specific, on how you exercised your foot and when you started to do so, post op. What did you have done? Thanks for the info.

Closed Thread