It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

demogoat HB User
OATS surgery on ankle, recovery advice please.

Recovery for ankle OATS?

Hi,

I am new here and trying to prepare for OATS ankle surgery. I have 3 little kids and wonder if people have post-surgical advice to share (actually, pre-surgery advice would be appreciated too). I read I should get an armless shower seat and temporary handicap parking tag. What else would be helpful?

Thank you.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User
Re: OATS surgery on ankle, recovery advice please.

Hi!

I just had OATS ankle surgery 2 weeks ago and I can offer some limited experience. I got a shower chair as well as a showerhead sprayer so I can hold it and shower pretty easy. The plastic sack thing is not working that well and I may look at one of the medical supply cast covers. I also got a tray to put by the couch so I can set my drugs and misc. stuff there while I got my foot up. I also got a temporary permit and that's a good thing in the winter! The best thing I have is this little wheelchair I saw at a garage sale this summer for $10. I was going to send it to a wheelchair ministry but decided to hold on to it for a while for my surgery. I'm glad I did because I have my hands free to carry things, move things, and getting around is much better than the crutches!

With three little kids it's gonna be hard. Hopefully they are old enough to help you out and hold things and carry things for you! 2 weeks out and I still need to keep my foot elevated most of the time or it turns purple! So you'll be on your back awhile! I have to be non-weight bearing for 12 weeks which I'm thinking will be the same for you. Make sure you have people helping you or you'll go crazy!

Hope this helps!

Abby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
(female)

demogoat HB User

Hi Abby,

Thanks so much for your reply and advice. I hope you recover quickly, glad to hear how you are 2 weeks post so I know not to try to get back into gear as soon as I hoped. My kids are 3, 5, and 7 so a wheelchair will be thrilling to them, they get a chance to push Mom around for awhile! I can hear them, "Who's in charge now Mom? " as the 7 yr old will be trying to break a wheelchair pushing speed record.

Did you have the grafts from the knee? How is your knee feeling? How about your pain, you mentioned purple if not elevated but how is the pain?

I am pretty freaked about the surgery. I had a fusion in my neck years ago and they took the bone graft out of my hip, my gosh the pain in the hip was excruciating for weeks! I can't help but think of that when I hear 'bone out of the knee".

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, I hope you are feeling positive about your recovery so far!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User

Hi,

You know, I thought I would freak about surgery, but as the days got nearer, I got excited to finally try something to treat my foot. I felt really at peace when I went in for surgery knowing this was the best opportunity for me. I hope you will feel that way as the day approaches! (It helped me to have many people saying prayers too!)

I don't know if I should say this because I think I'm having an exceptional reaction to the surgery, but I have very little pain or swelling. I mean they cut my tibia to gain access and put two screws in as well as drilling out a 1/2 in sq. of my talus and filling it with 2 knee plugs. You would think I would be in excruciating pain .... My foot feels tight and uncomfortable and I have burning, pins and needles sensations, but for the most part it feels pretty good. It doesn't throb or stab me at all. My only problem is that I can't put it down for more than 5 minutes and my toes turn a scary shade of deep purple. My knee hurt right after surgery mostly because they had a drainage tube in it for 2 days. But even that pain was more just annoying than bad. I have no pain in my knee now, it's just stiff and a little swollen and I try to keep it going through range of motion several times per hour to keep it loose. When they took off the splint 2 days after surgery I had no bruising or swelling at all! I think when they do these surgeries with tourniquets they are almost 'bloodless' so you don't really bruise much. The drain in my knee kept all the fluids from bruising and swelling my knee so it feels good. On top of it, I'm a light weight when it comes to the pain medications and they REALLY work on me!

My mom was hurt in an accident when I was 2 years old and has been in a wheelchair ever since. Us kids loved to play in the wheelchair.... it's a wonder we didn't totally ruin it crashing it outside all the time! You're kids will love it! If I didn't have the knee issue, I would be using one of those new rollabout walkers. They are a very skinny walker just to rest your knee on and I've seen people cruise on those things! Too bad.

Hope this helps. How did you hurt your foot? How bad is the injury? How soon is your surgery?

Talk to you later,

Abby

Closed Thread