It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
(female)

debincalif HB Userdebincalif HB User
11 Months Post-Op PTT Repair & Osteotomy

Well, it's now 11 months post-op from my posterior tibial tendon repair & calcaneal osteotomy. My doctor told me it would be 9-12 months before I was at 100% and would see the full results of the procedure, and it looks like I'm going to be using that whole time. But I'm almost there!

For the most part, I am very happy that I had the surgery done. I don't have the excruciating pain I did before, and that's the main point. I still do have numbness around the 2 incision sites (he said the nerve damage can take up to 2 years to heal, and sometimes the damage is permanent)... and my peroneus brevis (sp?) tendon still catches and pops once in a while, but it doesn't hurt like it was a few months ago. My foot doesn't have the stamina I'd hoped for, but I think over time that will improve. I am able to work all day in dress shoes now (but it's a trick finding a pair that fits both feet!), and I don't ache at the end of the day from wearing them.

I'd love to hear updates from my other PTT friends - how are you all doing? Mazzie and Krista, I know you both were up for more surgical procedures. How are you doing?

Deb

Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User
Re: 11 Months Post-Op PTT Repair & Osteotomy

Hi Deb. I'm glad you are progressing and wearing dress shoes!!!! Congratulations! I don't know if you remember me. I wrote quite a while ago, took a break and had another surgery...... and here I am again! My second surgery was on 12/27 and went very well..... at least it looks that way so far. If you don't remember me, I had my first surgery on 12/1/06 and was out of my cast at 5 weeks, putting weight on slowly, and then in full-blown physical therapy at 7 weeks... a bit early we now think because the allograft separated in short order. I healed amazingly well and quickly, but in a pretty deformed way. I knew something had to be done as I was starting to get some pain in my hip from a very uneven gate. Soooooooo, I found a new surgeon and had the second surgery. I am recovering just the same as last time.... thankfully! This Wednesday I find out much more as I will hopefully get my walking cast. This doctor is being verrrrrrrrry conservative with me considering all that went wrong the first time. My first surgeon used only x-rays to guide him and during the procedure he did a tendon transfer (my tendon was entirely severed and couldn't be salvaged), an osteotomy, an allograft.... and no hardware to hold it together. Oh well, this time I had much more done to ensure success. The OS went in and broke my bone at the failure site, cleaned it all up, realigned everything, repositioned the heel (I didn't know the heel bone was entirely cut off when they do this part!), then he stabilized my tarsal metatarsal joint.... and now I have seven screws in my foot! I feel great! No pain, no real swelling, but I'm nervous to bear weight again since that's when everything went wrong the first time. I can't wait for Wednesday .... keep your fingers crossed for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
(female)

sunny77 HB User

Hi Deb,
Great to hear from you! Sounds like you're continuing to heal well and get on with life, just like we're supposed to! What kind of dress shoes have you found to work best for you? Are you on your feet a lot or able to have some down time too?

I'm 9.5 months post-op. When I wear certain shoes, I notice a particular irritation/pain that goes away when I wear other shoes. Lace-ups are working best at this point, though I also have a pair of slip on sporty type shoes (good for the snow!!) that work well too. I still have a little numbness on my 4th toe, which the dr can't figure out how I got (it's not the sural nerve, which runs to the pinky toe and is moved during surgery) since he didn't touch this other nerve. I still have to build strength, but that'll be forced very quickly! Otherwise, I'm pleased with how my foot is doing.

The other foot hasn't fared so well and will be undergoing the same procedure next week (Tues). I'm going to have a popliteal nerve block, so hopefully won't have to spend the night in the hospital for pain control. Because it's winter here (and cold and snowy right now), I had to look into toe covers (for splint/cast) and pants that will accomodate the bulky cast. I'm hoping that when I return to work in mid March it will be warmer and the snow won't be such an issue. Getting around will be messy with crutches and the TLC. But, I am looking forward to being able to run in July! It's been too long since I've been able to do much other than stationary bike. Ugh! The nerves are setting in a bit now, knowing it's only a week away! Anyway, that's the update!

Glad to hear you're doing well! Keep working that foot!
Krista

Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
(female)

rochestersown1 HB User

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Sunny...you're having the same type of flat foot reconstruction on your other foot as well? Good for you ! At least you will know that you will have 2 good feet! I am in the same boat. I had flat foot reconstruction 8 months ago. My right foot was fixed. Now, my left foot seems to be taking the same course. My arch is killing me as well as my calf.

As I mentioned I am 8 months post op, and the only pain I am having now is where the 2 screws are in my foot. I had my heel re-aligned, so I had an osteotomy, a couple of tendon transfers and achilles tendon lengthened, the whole 9 yards I guess. So, on my last visit to the surgeon, he mentioned more than likely I will need those 2 irritating screws removed. I see the surgeon tomorrow and he and I will talk about setting up that second surgery for the darn screws. Other than that, my foot feels alot stronger...much better than where I was at before the surgery. I had no arch and now I look at my arch and it truly is a sight to see.

Other than the screws, my calf is still weak...I am working it with stretching. I wish I can do the treadmill. But, even at slow speeds, my other foot (the left one) hurts so bad after using the treadmill. So, I have to do the boring stationary bike for exercise. So, the doc and I will talk about the left foot tomorrow as well. I had a rough recovery so I hate having to think about having to go through it again. But, then again, I know I'll have 2 good feet rather than living a non-active lifestyle to "preserve" my left foot. Its actually more flat than the right one used to be.

So, sunny...Good Luck to you. I know you're nervous, but think how happy you'll be come summer time.

As far as you ladies, if you have any screws in your feet from the surgery...how are they holding up? I know some folks have pain and some don't....mine are just killin me. I have one right under the fat part of my heel...that i can feel everytime I step and one right at the outer ankle joint that bothers me most.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
(female)

mazzie46 HB User

Hi Guys!
So good to hear from you Deb and know its all going ok. I've been a bit of a traitor and am now on the OCD thread ( osteochondral defect) I found the PTTD thread such a help if only for support!! So thanks to all that ever posted there.

My PTTD surgery ( june 2007) has gone pretty well. I still have a small calf though , quite a few numb bits, my screws are also giving me problems and my achilles is still tight and sore! BUT i have had other problems with my loss of cartilage, and have already had another op on Jan 11th and been back in the boot, so that hasn't helped. I have an evening appointment tonight with my OS ( how posh) as i am 6 weeks post op now. It is alot better, but still not right
I now have a bone lesion on my tib/fib joint ( on top of the cartilage loss), lord only knows what that means. My physio says my foot is unstable as she can move it about far too much, so she wont touch it now. I am starting to wonder if this will ever end!!

Krista, i wish you the very best of luck with your second op!! I hope it all goes smoothly for you, and you have a speedy recovery! I'll watch out for your posts and see how your doing.

Take care all

Mazzie

Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Hey Deb, just joined this board recently. Had PTT surgery w/tendon transfer and osteotomy 11/05. During rehab I tore the peroneals and had them repaired 12/06. I also had my hardware removed 6/06. I never really got to the pain free point. I started having a lot of joint pain. My OS did a course of 3 injections into the joint space which helped not much at all. I had arthroscopic surgery last Wednesday and he found a lot of scar tissue in the joint. I was interested in the other person's response that also had cartilage issues. At my follow up visit I will ask him how it looked as my husband said he told him the cartilage looked good after surgery. I hope so, but I have my doubts. Sometimes their version of "good" is a lot different than ours! I am looking forward to hopefully being pain free one day.

emmie

Closed Thread