It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
(female)

amy927 HB User
what to do for foot that hurts on top

My right foot hurts on top, not in the ankle. I am not into sports and don't know of anything that I did to injure it. It has been hurting for about 2 weeks. It gets better with rest or when it is wrapped with an ace bandage, but still hurts when moved certain ways or with walking/standing. What could be the problem? What can I do to help?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: what to do for foot that hurts on top

have you been wearing sandles without backs? flip-flop types?
I had a problem with the top of my foot and that was what caused it.
It was called capsulitis and it's caused by squeezing your toes to hang onto the shoe when you walk because it has no back. I went to the foot doctor, he took one look at my shoes and said theres your problem. I was sad because I had just bought 3 new pairs of slide in shoes without the back
stopped wearing them, had ultrasound on the foot a few times and it was good as new.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
(female)

amy927 HB User

No, I rarely ever wear sandals, flip flops, or open back shoes. I have tried rest, ice, and wraps, but nothing takes the pain away. I start working as a substitute teacher full-time Monday, and I am concerned about my job performance with my foot hurting. Incidentally, it started hurting when I was on another sub teacher assignment. Any advice?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

hmmmmm well that blows that theory!
have you tried a heating pad? how about those gel sole inserts?
I'm stumped!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

That's a common place for a stress fracture. I had one there and you can get one with a surprisingly small amount of activity sometimies. I was walking around at a Mardi Gras parade when I got mine. I blamed it on being post op from PTTD surgery so my foot was still weak but I've read that sometimes you get them even when doing things that you normally do. Also, stress fractures can't be diagnosed by x-ray sometimes until a few weeks have passed and it starts scarring over. I had to wear a boot for a month with mine. Just an idea!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #6
(female)

amy927 HB User

Thank you. I have considered the idea of a stress fracture since it hurts all the time and doesn't improve with rest, but haven't gone to the doctor. I don't have insurance, and I have been trying to put off going. I may end up having to have that checked or x-rayed anyway.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
(female)

amy927 HB User

Thank you. No, I haven't tried the heating pad, but I did go buy a pair of Dr. Scholl's tennis shoes with built in gel inserts in the heel. They seem to help a little, but still doesn't take care of the problem.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
(female)

amy927 HB User

Also, there isn't any swelling, visible bruising, or lumps, etc. Nothing that would be an indicator to the problem. I thank those that have responded and tried to offer suggestions.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #9
(female)

amy927 HB User

I gave up and went to the doctor with work drawing so close. I received plantar fasciitis as the diagnosis, but I am not sure since most sites say that occurs in the bottom of the foot and arch. I got some meds to take. Hopefully those will clear everything up. Thanks to all.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

huh....interesting. My mom has plantar fascitis and it is on the bottom (for her anyway). She says the bottom of her feet have just worn out.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Amy, I'm certainly not a doctor, but doesn't sound like typical plantar faciitis symptoms. What kind of medicine? Anti-inflammatory? The only problem with that is if it is stress fracture, which doesn't always show up on x-ray at first, anti-inflammatories impede bone growth. Usually if you have any bone work done they tell you to avoid them until the bones have begun fusing. hmmmm... hope this works out for you and you weren't given a wrong diagnosis. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
(female)

jana65 HB User

Amy,
I had all kinds of foot pain - sometimes the heel, sometimes on top of the foot ( and swollen ) and was treated for plantar fascitis. Now I have been told that I have PTTD, which is the collapse of the tendon on the inside of the ankle. It also supports the arch, which is why I had arch pain for years prior to my diagnosis. You didn't say your age, but I was told that this gets worse the older you get ! Just what you wanted to hear, I bet !
I have orthiotics ( which were made from plaster casts of my feet ) and when I wear them I have much less pain. Why not try some of the Dr. Scholl's
arch supports and see if it helps ?
Did the dr. give you any exercises to do to help the plantar problem ? It is caused by too tight tendons at the back of your calf. You need to do stretches, if possible. Look online and you'll find some guidelines, probably.
Good luck !

Jana65

Closed Thread