It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
(male)

RunnerMac HB User
Sleeping after bunion surgery

Did anyone get advice on sleeping after the surgery?
I elevate my feet at night, but I don't like sleeping on my back all night and the surgical boots cut into my heels. I am more comfortable if I turn on my side but I worry that I am putting pressure in the surgical area.
Was anyone told if this was a problem?
I've got this for four more weeks so any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Sleeping after bunion surgery

When I had my cheilectomy (similar to bunion surgery but no repositioning of the bone), I took the boot off at night. Slept normally and it was no problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

Dark_Light HB User

I slightly elevated the foot and slept on my side with the foot leaning on the good side (Little toe side!). I did ask my surgeon 3 weeks post op if it was okay to lay on th e other side and he said as long as it doesn't hurt.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi runner, i had bunion surgery with just a surgical shoe. i always took it off at night. now i have 2 big surgical shoes with wedges and i tried sleeping with them at night. i wound up taking them off because they felt like lead. i start sleeping on my side, but always wind up on my back. this surgery was for the 2 dislocated toes.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
(male)

RunnerMac HB User

You're right, they do feel like lead but my Doc insists that I wear them at night. He is concerned that I don't bang the pins in my toes. I don't ever want to risk having to do any of this again so I will do as he says.
Thanks for all the feedback, I will go with the cautious approach but still sleep on my side as long as it doesn't hurt, after all, healing requires good rest!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

Hi Runnermac,

I also slept with my aircast on at night because I had a pin in my second toe and I was afraid of doing anything to my foot while asleep. After a few weeks I started wearing a bunion splint at night. I would recommend checking out Foot Smart's bunion products. They have great night splints to keep your foot in the proper alignment and also have this interesting thing that you put at the end of your bed to keep your sheets elevated above your foot so nothing is getting caught on your foot. Good luck, it's not easy sleeping at first but you'll get used to it!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i dont blame you. always do what the dr says.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
(female)

pohtr HB User

I had dbl bunion surgery Jan 3 and slept on my side from the beginning, first week with the sandals and then with just the wraps. Doc said it was o.k.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
(male)

RunnerMac HB User

Pohtr-

What kind of wraps did you use? I was just given a splint that holds the great toe straight in the position it should be to heal, was yours more than that?

Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
(female)

dancing feet HB User

RunnerMac, you might want to try sleeping on the couch. I found that being able to lean my back on the side of the couch helped. I also put some throw pillows on a gradual inclining position on which I rested my legs (starting at the back of my knees, gradually elevating to the point where my feet rested). I also found that having the bottom of the blanket loose around the feet, instead of being tucked under as in the bed, also helped. My surgery was a bit different from yours but I guess anyone having foot surgery faces a lot of the same problems, especially with the swelling.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
(male)

RunnerMac HB User

You are right, I actually have slept better napping on the couch during the day than at night, but I am past that rough patch now of intermittent pain now and am more comfortable at night. Once past 10 days for me there has been major improvement in both of my foot surgeries. After that everything goes easier.
Now I just need to convince the doctor that I can drive if he gives me a smaller surgical boot to wear.

Closed Thread