It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
(male)

portega65 HB User
what is the average cost for bunion surgery

what is the average cost for bunion surgery

Old 02-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
(female)

wildflower73 HB User
Re: what is the average cost for bunion surgery

It really depends on the extent of your surgery and your insurance. Once I came from the Dr. to find out what was going to be done, I got the code the insurance company needed and called everyone for estimates. There were separate fees for the surgeon, the surgery center and the anesthesiology. I had a bunion correction with metatarsal Chevron osteotomy. I think the insurance billed around $8000 and my cost will be approx $2000 out of pocket. I have 70/30 coverage. Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
(male)

RunnerMac HB User

Wildflower is correct, there are a wide range of bunion surgeries. I had the bunion corrected along with bone shortening and dislocation of two toes. The hospital billed me $12,000, anesthesiologist $1500 and I haven't seen the surgeon's bill yet. My insurance fortunately covers 90%

Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
(female)

taterbug HB User

I sat down today with all of the insurance reports and bills that I am receiving from the doctor, hospital, etc.
I had the first surgery January 9th and the second (screw correction) on February 25th. The total amount billed for both surgeries was just a few dollars under $49,000. The insurance company paid around $5300 and I owe about $700. The other approximate $43,000 is being written off by the doctors, hospital and anesthesiologist. Amazing......

Old 03-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
(male)

RunnerMac HB User

I don't know if it makes as much of difference for everyone else as it turned out that it did for me, but insurance companies cover a great deal more if you have you work done by a "preferred" surgeon or at a "preferred" hospital. My hospital bill for my second bunionectomy was $9,000 but because it was done at a preferred hospital over $6,000 was written off. I just lucked into this, so hopefully those of you who are going to have this will have a chance to check it out beforehand.
After my insurance paid 90% I am out of pocket only $240.
My surgeon and anesthesiologist have yet to weigh in, but I was quite lucky.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

Yes, it depends on the type of surgery you're having.

Portega, you should go to a podiatrist or orthapedic surgeon and have x-rays done and see what type of surgery they would recommend for you. If you need to, get a referral first from your primary care physician. Then, the Pod or orthapedic surgeon can give you the insurance code name for the type of surgery and you can ask your insurance carrier whether or not they cover that procedure. It's best to find a dr that is "in network", or else they might not cover it.

I ended up only paying for my air cast and copays; I paid nothing for the actual surgery and my physical therapy.

Closed Thread