It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

Sharebear155 HB User
Jones Fracture Reinjury?

I would appreciate any help on this. I'm 28 years old and suffered a Jones Fracture in late June of 2007 after twisting my foot/ankle. I was put in a boot cast and non weight bearing for about 5 to 6 weeks and then gradually went from partial to completely weight bearing for the next four weeks. The fracture was steadily healing during that time and at my last doctor's visit, the x ray showed the bone almost completely healed. At that time, my doctor told me I could gradually get back into my normal activities and just to avoid a lot of impact at first. She said do as much as I felt my foot could handle and to slow down if there was any pain. Well, I didn't get back into any activities other than walking for the first two and a half to three months. Next, I tried getting back on the ice to figure skate, since I had been doing that weekly before the accident. I would only skate about 20 minutes at a time and my foot wasn't bothered by it at all. Within the next few months I was back to skating an hour 1 to 2 days a week without any pain. Within the last month or so, I decided to get back to walking on the treadmill. I walk at an average pace but I think I may have overdone it a couple of weeks ago, walking 45 minutes and ever since then, my foot has given me discomfort that started slight but seems to be gradually getting worse. I have a dull ache and pinching feeling on the side of my foot where the fracture was and I'm very worried I may have reinjured it. Has anyone else experienced the aching and pinching and do you know what it may be?
I can't get an appointment at the ortho for another week and a half and I'm kind of wondering if I should put my boot cast back on?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
(female)

relteach HB User
Re: Jones Fracture Reinjury?

I certainly would put the boot back on until you see the doc and have another set of xrays. Refracture of the 5th met is common in a jones fracture, because it takes quite awhile for the fracture to heal completely. When it has totally healed and calcification is noticed on the films, the bone is usually considered stronger than before IF it was allowed to completely heal. That typically takes about 4-6 months of NWB. I suffered a jones fracture in Mar. 2007 and was in a cast for 4 months, a boot for another 2 until I was allowed to bear weight. I was only allowed to bear weight when the fracture line was essentially absent or very faint on the xray films. My pod. was not taking any chances on refracture and took this conservative approach intending to avoid reinjury and surgery that would follow. I was only allowed to resume all normal physical activities in December 2007. This length of recovery is typical of jones fractures from my research and the experience of my pod.

Ask your doc how many jones fractures she has treated. Many pod. do not often see them as jones fx tend to be sports related so many orthopod treat them. My pod treats pro basketball players and has seen many of them. This injury can be problematic if not treated properly, so find a good doc with lots of experience treating it.

Closed Thread