It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User
Question I have some questions.... what is normal?

Ok. Since I can't seem to get a straight answer out of my doctor, maybe you all could give me some help. Yes, I *know* that everyone heals differently. But, there has to be some sort of general consensus as to when things *should* happen, *should* be normal. All I get is "eventually", which doesn't help me at all. There has to be a way that you can determine "This isn't normal."

So.....

1) When should pain stop in the foot after you have the surgery?
2) How long before you seek a second opinion?
3) When does swelling subside in the big toe and bunion joint area?
4) How long before internal scarring stops creating that tight band/strapped feeling across the toe and joint?
5) When does the toe regain mobility? When does the stiffness go away?
6) When do you fit back into normal shoes?(Maybe not your original size, maybe the next size up...without it being painful or constricting.)
7) When does the scar stop looking brown, puffed, hard, and ugly? (I've used Mederma, Neosporin, Vitamin E)
8) When does the bruised feeling behind the other four toes stop? (When I do the flex and bend motions the bruising comes back as well as the pain.)
9) When does the sesamoid pain go away? (Behind the ball of your foot...one of the reasons I did this surgery.)

I have done everything that I was told to do, exactly the way I was supposed to do it. I have iced, taken pain meds, done ROM exercises, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Survey...questions....

it usually takes about 1 year for all the selling to go away. how long are you post op?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User
Re: I have some questions.... what is normal?

8 weeks post op.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User
Re: I have some questions.... what is normal?

8 weeks post-op seems very early to be concerned about these issues. I was at least 16 weeks post-op before I started to feel somewhat normal. It also depends on what type of procedure you had, so these questions are not easy to answer.

I am almost 1 year post-op and still have occasional mild swelling. My foot didn't really stop being "puffy" till about 5 or 6 months post-op. I have a high pain tolerance so my surgery pain lasted a few weeks and then I would feel occasional twitches of pain, but nothing serious. Continue doing everything you're doing, it just takes a LOT of time for the foot to heal. If you aren't doing physical therapy you need to do range of motion exercises every day and massage the scar tissue and your foot as much as possible. Keep putting vit e, cocoa butter, etc on your scars. I still have faint pinksih lines where my Pod made the incisions.

Closed Thread