It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

Shelley4123 HB User
Question about fractured ankle....

Feb 29th I was on vacation, stepped down stairs and rolled my ankle. I heard a pop and could NOT put any weight on it. Started doing RICE and was hoping I would be up and about the next day to continue my vacation. No such luck. Ended up going to out-of-town hospital due to pain, swelling, bruising. Xrays were made from the front and I was told that they didn't see any fractures. By March 20th there was not much improvement so I went to ortho doctor. He xrayed it from side and showed me where the tibia is fractured in front at ankle. Said I also have a high ankle sprain. He put me in a cast. Today is April the 2nd and my leg will swell to where it's pressing up against the cast and hurts. Is this normal?

Old 04-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Question about fractured ankle....

I would elevate as much as possible for the first few weeks. You can put ice behind your knee and it will help with the swelling. If you had a sprain swelling at this point is to be expected, but if you are really concerned I would put a call in to your doctor. Sometimes casts have to be re-done to accomodate swelling. Pay attention to the color of your toes. If they are turning blue the cast may be too tight.

Welcome to the board!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Oh, and by "elevate" Emmie means up above your head, hip-high might not be good enough.

Good luck, I'm glad you have a doctor who knows what's up.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #4
(female)

Shelley4123 HB User

Thanks Emmie and Jane....I guess I'm afraid since it's still swelling and hurts after 5 weeks that the damage won't be "fixed" by a cast. The Doctor said to fracture the place I did he is sure I tore up a lot of ligaments and tendons. I kinda figured that though because the bruising started at half way up my calf and ran down my leg. I'm almost at the point though I'd rather have surgery if that can fix it than to drag it out a couple more months. It's been 5 weeks - I wish someone could look into their crystal ball and tell me how much longer I'll be in pain! I think I could deal with this better if I had a date to look forward to that it will not be painfully anymore than to wonder every day how much longer. Does that make sense?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Wanting a date to see as the "end"? Total, total sense.

Still, it's usually better to give waiting a try, unless the dr. says you have to have the surgery.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Shelley, he may be waiting for the bone to heal before looking at or addressing the soft tissue injuries. Foot injuries are definitely frustrating! Hang in there.

Closed Thread