It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
(female)

tipsytoes HB User
Cool ALMOST 1 Week PostOp (H-toe surgery, taylor's bunion)

Hi Guys,

I've been on this site forever reading all about the procedures and recovery times, SO it's my time to contribute to someone who may have been in position

On Friday, I underwent hammertoe and taylor's bunion surgery. So far so good. I am still bandaged, but swelling does not seem bad at all! Here's what I've experienced up to this point:

1. Surgery Friday 3/28 on 8 little toes, no pins
2. Kept feet elevated and iced for first 3 days (and continue to do so, but not as aggressively)
3. Took Vicodine for first 2 days
4. So far, taking it easy & monitoring feet swelling. Walking around in this surgical boot thing.
5. Stitches come out next Wed 4/9

I haven't had a bad amount of pain. I would say from 1-10, it was a 3. The only thing that is uncomfortable at this point is the stitches! The pulling feeling is driving me nuts! I can't wait to get them out.

I do have a few questions for those of you who have undergone this:

1. Scarring. After reading the posts, I am terrified of seeing my feet after getting my stitches taken out. I plan on buying Merderma. However, as an AA woman - I know that my scars may be pretty dark. Any suggestions?

2. Running - when should I be able to return to the gym? Any recommendations for working out while I'm down?

3. Stitches. I have never had stitches before now and I am terrified of getting them taken out. Does it hurt? Is it a pulling feeling? What should I expect?

I hope to hear from you all!
Thanks!

Last edited by tipsytoes; 04-03-2008 at 05:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
(female)

Dark_Light HB User
Re: ALMOST 1 Week PostOp (H-toe surgery, taylor's bunion)

Hi Tipsytoes!

Congrats on your surgery and thanks for sharing your experience, it is aways helpful

The experince of having your stitches removed varies from person to perfon and foot to foot! the first time I had them out on my lef foot it hurt so bad, it was the only pain I experienced and this time on my right foot, it didn't hurt at all. I didn't realise she had taken them out! Although, this time, I took two Ibuprofen before hand.

Don't be afraid to look at your foot, it's not that bad and I am a squeamish person!

As for running, well you may be able to jog from the 3rd month, but it depends on many things, you, your surgeon, your procedure... But you will be running in no time

Keep us posted

Old 04-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: ALMOST 1 Week PostOp (H-toe surgery, taylor's bunion)

sounds like you are following the drs orders. its so important. your dr will know when you can run and i am guessing 12 weeks total. see what your dr says.

Closed Thread