It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Question Hammertoe Surgery

Hi

I have been told by my pod that I have a semi-flexible hammertoe. I am considering having surgery on it at the same time that I will be getting surgery for Mortons Neuroma.

Has anyone had surgery for a semi-flexible hammertoe, and if so what procedure did you have, was it successful, and how long was the recovery?

I am hoping it won't be too bad having both procedures done at the same time. The problems are not both on the same foot. Any experience you can share will be appreciated.

Thanks...Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 04-05-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Hammertoe Surgery

i am not sure exactly what they do, but isnt it shortening the bone part of it? what does your dr say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

Does your hammertoe bother you or cause any sort of walking problems?

I had a hammertoe surgery with my bunionectomy and had a pin in my toe for 4 weeks. My toe now is full of scar tissue so it doesn't really bend at the joints anymore. It also was raised off of the ground a little bit after the surgery but now pretty much lays flat on the ground.

I would recommend only having it done if the hammertoe is very obvious or bothers you in some way.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

hi dancer, how long did it take for your toe to lay flat? i had a lot of the scar tissue removed and my hammertoe still wont lay flat nor does it bend. its been over 3 years and i dont understand it.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hi

I have been told that I have a semi-flexible hammertoe that may only need a tendon release to help straighten the joint. If what I need is a fusion where they remove some bone and hold it together with a pin, I don't want it.

My toe is very much curled under. It doesn't hurt when I walk, but when I wear certain shoes, they push up against the hammertoe and it hurts. I also have a corn on the bone of the hammertoe. If I wear all wide shoes, it doesn't bother me too much, but anything like loafers or any type that press up against my toe drives me crazy.

I never wear sandels or any shoe that exposes my toe, since it is so ugly. That is not the reason I am considering it, it is because it hurts when shoes push against it.

In addition, I also have bunions, but they do not seem to bother me as long as I wear wide shoes. I will be seeing my Doctor on Monday to determine whether or not I will have the hammertoe surgery and if I will be having both the neuroma & hammertoe surgery at the same time. I am told that you can bear weight on your immediately, but would be in a surgical shoe for several weeks.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 04-07-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dancergal19 HB User

hey debbie g,

it took at least 5 or 6 months before mine would lay flat. My PT did a lot of scar tissue removal in the area right in front of the toe and I did the same thing at home as well. My toe is still very stiff but I've been told that it's actually not fused and I might be able to get it to bend if I keep massaging it. Have you been massaging the area in front of the toe? My PT said that the tendons or ligaments were pulled tighter because of the scar tissue so you really have to work that area well.

Sharon - let us know what your Doc says. Make sure to ask about the possibility of having a "floppy toe" from the hammertoe surgery. That's sort of what both debbie g and I have experienced, as well as many other people. You don't want to fix your toe and then end up with other problems.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

i have been massaging my foot. the scar tissue does not want to break up. i so dont understand this.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Cool Re: Hammertoe Surgery

What type of procedure did you have for your hammertoe surgery, an Arthroplasy or a Fusion? I went to see my doctor yesterday and have decided to have both the neuroma removed on my left foot and a Fusion procedure done for the hammertoe on the right foot. Turns out the toe is more rigid than flexible.

From what I was told they will be removing some bone, the toe is straightend and then held together with a pin for several weeks. Sure hope I don't end up with a floppy toes. Can't say I am excited about the procedures, but both have been bugging me for a long time and I would rather get it all over with at one time and be done with it. What was the recovery time for your hammertoe procedure?

Apparently you can bear weight carefully right after surgery. Any experiences you can share would be appreciated. This will be my first surgery of any kind, so I do have lots of questions. My surgery is scheduled for May 30th. Hopefully when I get my procedures over with I can be of help or encouargement to someone else. I am hoping to be able to share positive thoughts.

Sharon

Old 04-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
(female)

jean2003 HB User

I have to say that if I had it to do over again, I would not have my hammertoes done. I can't bend them am still trying. I have two toes that are ugly. One seems as if the end is floppy. I am not sure what a floppy toe is maybe that is what I have. Two toe nails came off and the dr. said that they would grow back, but I am not sure. I had my surgery Jan. 8, 2008. I did have pins in each of my toes. The doctor told me that if I had my hammertoes done when I had my bunion removed that they would be nice and straight. I guess I am not happy with my toes. But we all do heal different, so maybe it is just taking me longer.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
(female)

FSHNGAL HB User

Sharon seen ya had this hamertoe surgery. Im havuin it this wednseday so hope ya get this. What do I need to expect and how long before ya drive and when ya can walk on it and when pins are removed did ya have to sue crutches etc. Antyhing would information woulod help me get thru this Havin surgery on my right foot the loittle toe. Was told would be laid up for at least a month THNAKYOU Any information all would help me alot.

Last edited by Mod9; 09-15-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Please do not post contact info

Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

fshngal

I had hammertoe surgery done on my right foot nearly 4 months ago. My toe was rigid so they did a fusion procedure where they remove some of the bone, straighten the toe and then it is held together with a pin for several weeks. I wore a surgical boot for nearly 7-8 weeks. The pin was taken out in about 3 weeks. (Not a problem at all) I could walk on it right away, but ONLY with my surgical boot!

At about 4 weeks I was given a surgical shoe that I wore only when driving. I was not allowed to walk in the shoe, it was only used for driving. It's against the law to drive wearing the boot. I was allowed to start wearing athletic shoes in about 7-8 weeks. For about 2 or 3 weeks I used crutches to help keep my balance with the boots ( I had a neuroma removed from left foot, and the hammertoe straightened on the right foot at the same time)

Also, you will NOT be able to get the foot wet at all for at least 6 weeks. I purchased an aqua shield shower bag from my podiatrists office that pulls on over your boot . It is air tight so that no water will get in on your foot or bandages. You will only be able to take showers for the first 6 weeks or so. You have to shower with your boot on. I would not trust putting a garbage bag over your boot thinking that will keep water out because it probably will leak, and you cannot get your bandages wet.

So you have a hammertoe on your baby toes? Mine was the toe next to the big toe. Is yours rigid or semi-flexible? It must be rigid since you were asking about the pin. The very best advise I can give you when you get home from surgery and for several days after is to keep your foot elevated as much as possible and ice frequently to keep the swelling down.

Also, DO NOT take a step without your boot or surgical shoe on, whichever they give you. I was even told to sleep with them on. I am pretty satisfied with the outcome so far, even though the toe is a bit shorter and still a bit swollen than the same toe on left foot. It is also rigid and I can't bend it, but it doesn't seem to bother me . I have been told that complete recovery from foot surgery can take up to a year. Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 09-15-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Closed Thread