It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

Hoppy2006 HB User
Toe and foot cramps?

Does anyone else get toe and foot cramps? I'll be going about my business, and suddenly my foot muscles will go haywire. My toes will sort of clump together and try to curl under my foot - it's excruciating! It used to happen only when my feet were cold, but now it's happening more often for no apparent reason, especially in the foot that had bunion surgery 17 months ago. Often it happens when I'm trying to fall asleep, which is not at all restful. So far it hasn't struck my right foot while I've been driving, but if it does, I will have to pull over. About half an hour ago I got cramps in BOTH feet, and had to stop what I was doing to sit down. I think the muscles are finally relaxing, but all bets are off once I start moving around. Does anyone have a magic trick for relieving this sort of thing - or better yet, preventing it? Ouch!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User
Re: Toe and foot cramps?

I get them too...although, I'm only 10 weeks post op....I got them when my foot was bandaged and it was horrible. I also get leg cramps.

Even though I already was doing this, the doctor said take calcium and magnesium....and eat bananas. Also stretch...you can do wall stretches, floor leg stretches, stretch out your pfriformis muscle (Basically a muscle in your back end) . You can do this one of two ways, and you can look it up online if you can't visualize it here.

You can lay on the floor on your back. Bend on leg, put the other leg's ankle on the bent leg's knee. Grab the bent leg's thigh and pull that knee towards you....this is the most awesome stretch! Now do the other side.

You can also do this sitting on the floor. Sit with one leg bent. Place the other leg's ankle on the ben't leg's knee. Now slowly push yourself towards the bent leg. You should feel this in the back of the thigh/hip/butt area.

You can massage and stretch your feet as well. Use a towel and hook it around the base of your foot and pull the toes towards you.

Here is an acupressure trick. Which ever foot is cramping pinch the opposite hand in the webbing between the thumb and first finger. Breathe slowly and deeply while doing this.

Make sure you are drinking enough water as well. Sometimes muscles cramp from dehydration. Try adding a dash of sea salt to the water...this helps cells retain water.

Hope these help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
(female)

Hoppy2006 HB User

Thank you so much! Wow, I can't imagine having these cramps right after surgery - I think I would have passed out!

When you said "dehydration" something clicked. I've been out of routine for several days, and haven't been drinking nearly as much water as usual. I didn't even think about that as a factor, but I'm sure you're right! I"m also going to try to get more of those dietary elements you suggested, and also do more stretching and exercising. I never did get back to regular exercise after my surgery way back in November 2006, and I'm sure that's part of the problem too.

Thanks again - you helped!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
(female)

Teddie2 HB User

Also ZIco coconut water (pure coconut water not milk) there are other brands out there but I don't recall their names you can google coconut water and should find them (only 60 calories) and as much if not more potassium as a banana and the potassium is one of the things needed to help cramping along with mag and cal..

Last edited by Teddie2; 04-15-2008 at 07:21 AM.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Wow Lc,
I too got bombarded with toe and foot cramps just like you. I had it back in 2006 and it just started out of the clear blue sky. It was so painful and it attacked me while I was driving in a snow storm on my way home from work. I was very nervous and trying to go up a slight hill when the attack happened. I am right footed and that's the foot that went into attack. I thought it happened because i became nervous in the snow.
but it also happened alot while i was laying in bed watching t.v. at night too, so it wasn't becasue of nerves.
they say not to point your toes straight because that will set it off too.
I'm not sure if it is a sign that something is going on with the kidneys or some major organ in the body and also lack of minerals or vitamins. it could be a few things. I mentioned it to my family dr and he didn't say anything about it.

so I never told him again. It finally stopped but didn't till after I passed a very small kidney stone. I just am now thinking maybe it had something to do with my levels of something that has to do with the kidneys.
I wound up having hydronephroisis of the kidney and hydrouter. they said they didn't see a stone but think I may have passed a very small one when I went to the ER with pain.

it's just my thoughts on the subject. if you continue having this problem, I"d go to the dr.

oh, my mother in law drinkds quinine water for her leg cramps. she says it works for her, but I never tried it.

let us know what's causing it if you find out.

good luck

Linda

Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I had called my doctor about the foot cramps because I also got charlie horse cramps in the calf of the same foot.

She said it wasn't possible. It had nothing to do with the surgery.

I found it odd because they came on BECAUSE of the surgery...I hadn't gotten them any other time.

I think it was because I hadn't used the foot...it was wrapped and elevated and iced. Prior to the surgery I had been walking for exercise, so I think because my routine (exercise, water intake, etc) was off my foot went into cramping mode.

I no longer have them as I started back to my routine.

Yeah, I've quite talking about certain issues with my doctor too as it doesn't seem to resolve anything.

Last edited by lcweiden3132; 04-15-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Mine came and went. I wasn't on any exercise routine at all. If I curl my toes even now, it will go into the cramping stage. It's so strange and never happened to me my entire life other than back in the early 80's when I was having my first child and I had the privelage of getting to know what a charley horse feels like ( i'm only joking about the privelage part) when it awoke me in the deep of sleep. I found out that it's common in preganant woman and has to do with hormones or something.

I'm glad to hear yours stopped. good luck with everything and keep up the good work of keeping your body and health in good shape.

best regards,

Linda

Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

one reason for cramping is dehydration. drink plenty of water and i am not sayinf this will help, but you never know.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Wow there are alot of leg and feet crampingout there. I totally understand your pain with these. I get them mostly at night and they got so bad that foot was pulled so far out I could stand up. My internal medicine Doc ran a bunch of tests to determine calcium and electrolites. All came back with in normal ranges. I have been drinkg tonic water (has quinine) 4 to 8 ounces daily and have not had one cramp. Give it a try. The taste is something you'll get used to. good luck.

Closed Thread