It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Black Kat HB User
Itching like CRAZY!!!!!!

I had an Austin bunionectomy on my right foot one week ago & at the same time my dr opened my left foot back up & straightened my big toe some more. Yesterday my feet started itching like crazy, enough it makes me want to cry! I didn't have this with my first bunionectomy. It itched a little around my incision, but not til about week 6 or 7, long after my stitches were removed. Now it not only itches around my incision, but everywhere else too, especially on the top of my foot at the base of my toes & even between my toes! I'm trying really hard not to scratch so I don't get it infected, but sometimes I get started & I don't think I'll be able to stop! I just make sure I avoid my stitches. I put some hydrocortisone cream around the non-incision area, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Does anyone have any advice for me before I lose my mind? Have any of you had this problem before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 04:44 AM   #2
(female)

Dark_Light HB User
Re: Itching like CRAZY!!!!!!

You went through what I did and it drove me insane, and my foot red and sore from all the itching! For me it was a few weeks after, and mine is differnt to yours because when my foot gets air it itches from being under tha bandages too long. I don't want to worry you, but my incison itched like supercrazy because I think it was slightly infected. The infection, wasn't major and it is clearing up now with antibiotics.

Can you ring your surgeon in case you have an allergy.

I hope you find something to stop the itching.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Hi,
I had a cast for my bunionectomy which was the more involved surgery. Lucky me, I developed contact dermatitis under the cast, and when they took the cast off after I complained, the whole top of my foot had blisters on it. Yuck. You might have developed contact dermatitis from the bandages if the itching is driving you crazy. The doctor was not all that surprised, apparently it happens. She was adamant about putting another cast over the contact dermatitis. I took Diphenydramine 50mg every 6 hours for a week, which helped a little with the itching. Good luck and I hope the itching goes away soon.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Black Kat HB User

Dark_Light & Monster bunion, thank you so much for your advice! I appreciate it very much! I'm actually thinking it may be the contact dermatitis. I looked it up & the symptoms seem to match. Yesterday I started noticing tiny blisters surrounding my incision area, & some of them were oozing a little. I had noticed little bumps on my left big toe a couple of days ago, but I just figured it was from the surgery. And I know I didn't scratch there, because the tops of my big toes are still numb. I think I also have them between my toes. It also said that the dermatitis brings on itching & flaking of the skin, both of which fit my feet. I think I'll go ahead & call my dr tomorrow & see what he wants me to do. Thank you again!

Old 04-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
(female)

monster bunion HB User

One more thing Black Kat, it might be that you are allergic to the betadine swab they may have used to clean your foot prior to surgery. Some people are allergic to the iodine in it.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
(female)

jill60 HB User

I did not have any surgery but I did have blisters & the terrible itching on my right foot. I went to the Dr. several times & I very seldom go to the Dr. I told him how bad it itched, He said well I have dry skin on my foot too! Made me so mad I never went back. I also wanted to go to a dermatologist for it & the same Dr. wouldn't give me a referral. My itched so bad I would stand on the register in the floor where heat/ac come out & dig my foot across it. I finally went to the dermatologist, he did a scraping & it came back as a fungus & the samples he gave me had it cleared up before I got the results back.
Good Luck!

Jill

Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Black Kat HB User

Jill, don't you hate it when drs jump to conclusions without listening to you out & thoroughly checking everything out?! I would have been upset too!
My dr had me come in today so he could look at my feet & he said it's definitely an allergic reaction to something, probably the adhesive or Neosporin. When I took off my bandages yesterday evening, I not only had little blisters, but also big blisters surrounding my incision. He went ahead & drained one of the blisters & he gave me an antibiotic to prevent infection. He also wants me to take Benadryl & use Benadryl cream on the itchy part. He wants me to clean it with Biodine & then cover it with gauze pads covered in Biodine. I really hope this stuff helps fast because it's driving me crazy!!! They are so raw & sore! I go back Thursday to get my stitches out. The thing I can't figure out is that my toes itch too, on them & between them, but I'm wondering if that's the nerves.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
(female)

monster bunion HB User

Just want to warn you, don't be surprised if you see weeping from the blisters. More blisters may form, then weep, then crust over. This is the course of it. It will get better, but will take a couple of weeks. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
(female)

cosmic1 HB User

I had external fixation device for my second bunionectomy. So, I had the great toe fixed with the device which had six large screws sticking out of my skin and had toe 2 and three bone cuts with internal screws.
I had the same thing done to my other foot with no problems.
HOWEVER, this second surgery drove me into insanity with the itching.
I am allergic to nickle and the external screws had maybe 14% nickle content. The internal screws were Titanium and they have no nickle content.
It was sooo horrible!!!!
Here are some suggestions.
Benedryl creme worked really well for itching!
Taking a Benedryl capsule helped (if nothing else it calmed me).
I was wrapped in gauze from the doctor's office it smelled like it had some petroleum product on it.
I bought my own pure cotton gauze
I used only pure cotton gauze pads
I used only paper tape which is hypoallergenic
NEOSPORIN IT NOTORIOUSLY KNOW FOR ALLERGIC REACTIONS
Use Bacitracin or polysporin
My daughter had a mole removed shortly after my surgery and itching.
I was complaining about maybe it was the Neosporin.
SHE WAS GIVEN A SHEET WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS TO NOT USE NEOSPORIN ON THE SITE BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE REACT TO IT (thus the other two suggestions that she was given).
It was so horrible but it did subside. It may have been the nickle in the external pins but I really don"t know.
Trust me I feel your pain.....

Old 04-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
(female)

Dark_Light HB User

Hi black Kat,

You will recover and I was using the gauze, it is really good. I am glad you got it seen to as well. If I beat an infection, you can beat your allergy Stay strong, you will be much better in a weeks time from when you started treament.

Closed Thread