It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

canadianmom HB User
toenail removal

My teen daughter had an ingrown toenail removed yesterday on her big toe. Started the water soaks last night as per instructed. It still seems to oozing blood and pus. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for something like this to heal? We really weren't given any other instructions other then soaking it. As expected it is quite tender. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
(female)

canadianmom HB User
Re: toenail removal

anyone???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

What exactly was done? Was just the ingrown part cut out, or was the whole nail removed?

No personal experience here, but:

If there's pus involved, sometimes the doctor prescribes an antibiotic ointment to put on the toe. But soaks in warm salt water are really the best thing. Try doing it 2-3 times a day if feasible.

Definitely, she should be wearing loose or open toed shoes. Cover the toe with gauze if it's ugly, but don't cover it with a tight, non-breathable shoe.

It might be a couple weeks before it feels right, but I would call your doctor again if the pus doesn't go away in a couple more days.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
(female)

canadianmom HB User

Thanks janewhite1. The whole toe nail was removed. Dr did not give anything to put on it. Just told to do the warm water soaks. Still draining pus this morning and its now been 48 hours. She is def wearing sandals and keeping it loosely covered with gauze. Thanks again for your response.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I don't know how long she had the ingrown toenail before she had it removed...but I would think, as a rule, 3 or 4 days to drain and then it should start back on the road to recovery. The salt water soaks are probably the best thing for it. Basic, simple, care for a wound is really the best thing you can do. I would think you should only start to worry if it swells, turns red, she has a fever or chills....other than that give it a couple more days.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The warm water soaks help to pull the infection out and cleanse the wound. I've had 3 done but only the ingrown part - not the whole toenail. I would say it will be about a week or so on the infection part. If the toenail was removed so that it can grow back, that will take about one year - I'm assuming it was on the big toe. That's about how long it takes for a big toe toenail to grow out. Others are considerably shorter in duration.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
(female)

canadianmom HB User

Thank you both for your replies. It is still draining but the toe doesn't seem as swollen or red today so hopefully things will start to improve. Yes it was removed as to allow it to grow again. If it ingrows again she was told she would have to get something else done to stop that from occuring. Fingers crossed as she certainly doesn't want to go through this again LOL Thanks again for your replies

Last edited by canadianmom; 04-25-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Closed Thread