It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
(male)

Sheefa187 HB User
Ankle Microfracture Experiences - pain after surgery and recovery advice please

Hi all,

I had a MF on the talus for a cartilage tear only - not an OCD - on 5th April. 3 weeks NWB as the OS said my 'flap' of cartilage was still intact and MF the tear and pulled the flap back over the defect in the hope that the blood clot will hold it in place. He is very optimistic all should work out - I'm trying to be but after the MF failure stories on this and other boards it's hard.

I am gradually bearing weight now, 25% only and taking it REAL easy. I am still experiencing quite a bit of throbbing pain, mainly around the ankle incisions, but it feels like in the Talus itself too.

Is this normal? How long does this last for and any ideas how I judge the success of the procedure over the next few weeks? My follow up appointment is in 3 weeks time. I am trying prolotherapy too on the right ankle (similar symptoms from past ankle sprain).

Thanks all and best wishes to all that are suffering and here's to a quick, successful recovery.

Greg

The Following User Says Thank You to Sheefa187 For This Useful Post:
Jzls321 (11-05-2010)
Old 05-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
(male)

Sheefa187 HB User
Re: Ankle Microfracture Experiences - pain after surgery and recovery advice needed p

Anybody? Surely somebody here has had an MF success?

I am 7 weeks post-op and still experiencing the same pain. My surgeon is positive the MF will work and ACI really won't be necessary. Should I really be experiencing the same pain as pre-op though or is it just a long recovery>?

Thanks

Greg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Ankle Microfracture Experiences - pain after surgery and recovery advice needed p

Greg, sorry, that's one of the few ankle problems I have no knowledge of or have not experienced! But as a 'partner in pain' I wish you the best. I know that feet can take a looong time to heal so maybe you are still healing. What will they do to follow up? MRI?

Old 05-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
(male)

leedslad73 HB User

Greg,

On May 9th, I had a talus microfracture for OCD (about 1cm squared), and it turned out there were was much fibrous scar tissue around the joint, flaps of cartilage, and two small (well, I think about 5mm long each) bits of loose bone in the joint.

I went in to have stitches removed on May 21st and was told I can wear the aircast or not, but to definitely be NWB for at least a month after surgery (I've heard before that doctors in America are more conservative about this than in England). I'm doing range of motion exercises (foot up down and side to side), which hurt a fair bit - like you say, around where the incisions are, but it feels like it's where the pain was before.

I chickened out of an OATS (on cost and invasiveness grounds), and am hopeful that after 2 more weeks of NWB the pain will have significantly subsided. The ROM is not much worse than pre-op.

Good luck.

Cheers
Andrew

Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
(female)

Calrunner HB User

I had microfracture/debridement for a 6mm OCD of the Talus last June. I also had a substantial amount of scar tissue removed from the joint. I was on crutches (and in a bit of pain) thru late-August, and started walking in Sept., still dealing with jolts of pain, so I'd have to back off when the pain increased. (I still believe PT was key to my successful recovery!) By late Oct I was able to run a bit, and built up to a 1/2 marathon in January. Last month, I ran a 50-miler. (I'm an ultramarathoner.) Yes, I had some ankle pain, but not the debilitating pain I had prior to the surgery. My ankle still aches after a run, but I ice it regularly and take ibuprofen as needed. The weird thing is I can run, but have trouble skiing, ice skating and roller blading, as well as playing soccer. (I have a followup with my dr. in a couple of weeks, so I need to ask him about that. ) Maybe I've changed my running stride enough to stay off the defect, and the boots of skis and skates don't allow that...

I don't know how long the new firbrocartilage will last, but I'm certainly happy to be back on my feet!

Keep your chin up and know that there is hope! Sometimes this surgery does work!!

Last edited by Calrunner; 05-27-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

mirchanon HB User

had ankle MF 7 weeks ago.
Am still taking it easy. just stretching out my ankle and strengthening it slowly.
Haven't started full rehab yet. I don't think I am ready for walking around just yet. Walking is hard for me and hurts my ankle after a while.

All in all recovery from MF is supposed to take 4 months at minimum. and up to 6 mos or even a year using conservative approach.

Goodluck. Will keep you all updated.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
(male)

Sheefa187 HB User

Thanks for your replies all and keep me posted on your recoveries.

I'm 8 weeks post-op and still in quite a lot of pain, same as before and worse on resting rather than moving around!! My OS said to give it another 3 weeks, takes me up to about 20th June, and if there isn't a decent improvement by then he'll give me a Synvisic Joint Injection which apparently lubricates the joint, nourishes the cartiage and provides pain relieif for up to 6months on average. That would be nice. Think it's 3 injections I need over a week.

Even if I was told I couldn't run or play football again, I don't really care anymore. For me, it's about returning to normal daily activities, having sleep uniterrupted by pain and at least being mobile pain-free. Surely not too much to ask but a much different story from where I was 10 months ago, fit, healthy and in hard training for the RAF. Life deals some truly sh*t cards hey.

Good luck all.

Greg

Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
(male)

Gregory House87 HB User

i had the same as the majority of the above(injury and surgery) had the surgery on the 11th june 08. its been the guts of four months and have only got back to running in the last few days and now find that i am basically back to square one (pain wise) the OS said the flap of cartlidge could have went loose again, thus needing another operation. but it could also be the fact that, due to lack of mobility for so so long, its going to take a bit of time to warm up!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
(female)

Calrunner HB User

My latest MRI showed my OCD grew from 6x4mm (before surgery) to 8x8mm. I'm still struggling with a bit of pain, but less sharp pain than pre-op. Running is troublesome again. I'm certainly concerned about the future of this joint and the thought of additional surgeries!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #10
(male)

icehockeyhair HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory House87 View Post
i had the same as the majority of the above(injury and surgery) had the surgery on the 11th june 08. its been the guts of four months and have only got back to running in the last few days and now find that i am basically back to square one (pain wise) the OS said the flap of cartlidge could have went loose again, thus needing another operation. but it could also be the fact that, due to lack of mobility for so so long, its going to take a bit of time to warm up!!!
Its good to read people that have had similar procedures.

I'm currently 6 weeks post arthroscopy having had spur removal, tissue debridement and microfracturing to heal missing cartilage. A week after the op i made great progress with my ROM, and thought i was set for a quick recovery, however my ROM of movement has now worsened over the last weeks, and pain increased.

I'm taking care to do everything right, sufficient rest, ICE, steady rehab. not over doing it. I am now concerned that something is not right as after my previous ankle debridement i was back to health in 6 weeks. i am way off being fully fit, and my job relies upon my physical fitness.

Am i being too premature in my expectations for recovery after the work done? Or dooes anyone think i'm justified in seeking further advise?

Any advice greaty appreciated!

Closed Thread