It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

kes2801 HB User
Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome--had surgery 1 yr ago and nerve pain coming back???

I was diagonosed with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, sort of like Carpal tunnel syndrome, compression of the posterior tibia nerve in the ankle. I saw five different dr's and finally got an accurate diagonosis. I had surgery, last May. to release the pressure around the nerve. In August, I went to the ocean and was struck by something and stung very bad right near where I had the surgery. The area turned dark red and blue, I thought was a jelly fish sting. Several months later the tissue under my skin was eaten away, looks like I have a crater in the lower part of my calf above my ankle. An orthopedics diagnosed me with Fat Necrosis, which when I looked it up, had to do with a lump in the breasts. My problem is that I am not sure if this pain is from the "Fat Necrosis" of the Tarsal tunnel. The Dr. that did my surgery will not see me and says he can not help me. My family Dr. upped my Narontin and I need an EMG.

I have had many foot problems for the past 7 years and can't live with this pain anymore. I have a 7 year old boy I can't even play with, can't walk stores, have to wear the wonderful, fashionable boot which hurts my knee's. I am so depressed that I have been put on antidepressants. I am only 33 yrs old!!!!

I am just looking to see if anyone has heard of my problem and can referr me to a really good Dr.

Foot pain really sucks, no matter what type you have and I have had many of them.

Thanks for reading!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome--had surgery 1 yr ago and nerve pain coming back???

If you don't mind my asking, why won't the doctor see you? It seems he is the logical person for follow up. If not, then a consult with a good foot and ankle doctor for a second opinion would be in order, in my opinion. Good luck and welcome to the board!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
(female)

kes2801 HB User

Hi Emmie,

Thanks for responding. The orthopedic surgeon said because of the diagnosis from another orthopedic Dr of the "Fat Necrosis", he really can't help me with him reviewing my MRI report, not the actual MRI. I called him again last week to see if he would see me because I started to have the shooting nerve pain up my leg and they never called back. I am very disappointed in this Dr and will just go else where.

I am going to get an EMG and go from there.

From what I understand "Tarsal Tunnel Syndrom" is a very rare condition and only 200,000 have the condition world wide.

If the Dr's can't help me, I figure I try this and it is very interesting to read other conditions and to know I am not the only one with chronic foot pain.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

I was diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel syndrome after an injury to the inside part around the bottom of my foot. I had 2 injections of cortisone into the tarsal tunnel which took the swelling and shooting nerve pain down enough so I can walk. There is a numb area on my part around the bottom of my foot which also has nerve pains shooting through there but not so painful that I can't walk. If I couldn't walk then I would have considered surgery but at this point don't need it.

Fat Necrosis = dead fat?? Is that what the doctor means. I haven't been able to talk with anyone who also has TTS. What symptoms did you have before surgery and were you able to walk on your foot?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
(female)

kes2801 HB User

Hi sorry, have not been on in a few days.

I started to have these pains in my ankle and I didn't think anything of it, but all of the sudden the pain started to shoot up the side of my leg. Since the pain was originating from that area they assumed it was the superficial peroneal nerve, but couldn't explain the pain in my ankle. Also, the top of my foot became painfully numb and went to my big toe which they couldn't explain. I had an MRI done that didn't show anything. The pain became so intense that they put me on Narontin and the Herman monster shoe. They wanted to do surgery on the nerve but I wanted to know why the pain was in my ankle and numbness in my big toe. I went to the Jefferson University Hosp. in Philly and the Dr I saw knew right a way what it was. I had Tarsal tunnel and damage to the Peroneal nerve. He did surgery on both nerves.

The Dr also told me something I found interesting. He said that a nerve can be damaged internally or on the outer part of the nerve. If it is the outer part of the nerve, the surgery would most likely help. If the nerve is damaged on the inner part, there really is no cure except release the nerve completly. But with doing that, you might end up with more pain and no guaranties of ever recovering.

I probably would of been better off if it didn't take the Dr's so long to diagnose me.

I really hope your Tarsal Tunnel doesn't act up!

Closed Thread