It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Successful Hammertoe Surgery ??

Has anyone had a succesful hammertoe surgery? I will be having a fusion hammertoe surgery where they take out some bone and cartilage, straighten the toe and the bones are held together with a pin for several weeks. I am also having a neuroma removed on the opposite foot at the same time at the end of May.

I would love to hear from anyone who has a success story with this particular procedure. Surely there is someone out there who has been happy with their outcome with hammertoe surgery. So far all I have read about are from people who are not happy with their surgery. I guess I am looking for a few encouraging words

Thanks Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 04-29-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
(male)

RunnerMac HB User
Re: Successful Hammertoe Surgery ??

I had hammertoe surgery at the same time as a bunionectomy. Mine were complicated by the fact that I dislocated them a month prior to surgery. I had my #2 and #3 toes straightened and pinned. The pins were in for 7 1/2 weeks, probably longer than you will need due to the dislocations.
Don't worry about the pins coming out, I was astonished at how easily they were removed, nothing to worry about whatsoever.
I am now 3 1/2 months post op and able to work out including running. The toe joints were fused so they act as a unit, but they are still flexible enough that I can walk up a steep hill... and that is the ultimate test.
There is less feeling in them than before so it feels a bit strange, but I think that will gradually change.
I had this surgery because I am very active and couldn't run with the dislocated toes, the fact that I am back to running now makes it all very worthwhile.
Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

That's very encouraging! I was wondering whether or not the toe would be flexible having the fusion procedure. Did you ever experience a floppy toe? I have read that some people do, but perhaps they have had a different procedure. How long before you were able to wear regular shoes and also drive? I have heard that having bunion surgery is a difficult recovery. I have them also, but they don't seem to bother me too much as long as I don't wear too narrow of a shoe. Thanks for the encouragment.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 04-30-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
(male)

RunnerMac HB User

Hi Sharon-

I haven't had any floppy toe effect, they are more stiff than anything else. It has taken a few weeks to increase their range of motion.
I was able to put on an athletic shoe one day after the pins were pulled. I had wide shoes before anyhow so this probably made it easier. I have some swelling still, it appears that is typical for this type of thing. I waited about a week to drive because the foot takes some time to settle down and feel comfortable when you put pressure on it.
Feel free to ask if you have any other questions...

Mac

Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
(female)

bflgs HB User

I had my 3rd hammertoe surgery in November... the curse of big feet and women's shoes I think! Anyway I had no problems whatsoever with my first two which were over 5 years ago. This was though has been a different story. I think the main contributing factor has been that I had 3 surgeries done at the same time on that foot. The hammertoe, a Morton's neuroma and an oseotomy on the toe joint where it joins the foot. In hindsight probably a mistake and one I am fighting frustration with daily.
The positive is that the first 2 were very uneventful so I am sure yours will be too. None of mine have had the "floppy" effect. Since they fuse the bone it is unbendable of course but more stiff and rigid than anything. (I do have a major floppy toe problem on another toe as a result of the Morton's neuroma surgery but that is a different story.)

Old 05-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

What procedure did you have done for the first two hammertoe surgeries, the arthoplasty or fusion? I think I am having the fusion procedure and I was told at my pods office that my toe would be flexible after they removed the pin. I hope they are right. How long does the pin stay in and how long before you wore regular shoes?

How long was your recovery from both the hammertoe & neuroma surgery? Were you able to bear weight immediately after surgery and what were the restrictions? I will be having both neuroma and hammertoe surgery done on opposite feet at the end of the month. When they did your neuroma surgery did they remove the neuroma completely. If so did you experience numb toes? First surgery of any kind for me me so I am a little ansy about it.

Sharon

Old 05-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

why does the toe have to be fused for a hammertoe? i thought it was supposed to be bendable afterward.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Maybe it's not a fusion. What I was told was that they would be removing some of the bone, straightening the toe and holding it together with a pin for several weeks. I was told that once the pin was removed my toe would be flexible. I certainly hope so!

Closed Thread