It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User
Question Swelling in ball of foot

I wondered if for those of you who have had a bunionectomy, did you have swelling in the ball/pad of the big toe? I am 3 months post op and still have swelling in the ball of the foot....it doesn't hurt, it is just swollen about three times the normal size. It is hindering the downward motion of my toe (not to mention the scar on top of the toe...sheesh). Anyone else have this?

Old 05-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
(female)

armykat HB User
Re: Swelling in ball of foot

Yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. At 2 months out, mine is only slightly swollen. But it was terribly swollen up to 2 weeks ago, and it also inhibited my ROM. It gets worse every time I exercise or do my ROM exercises, but I am noticing that it's steadily decreasing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
(female)

Teddie2 HB User

Absoultely yes.. I think I posted on another thread it feels like a bubble although that feeling is getting less.. it is about 3 times the size of my other big toe.. that is how I measure progress comparing the two feet-- everything else has gone down for the most part but that.
I just went full weight bearing in a flat surgical shoe this week and I am starting to swell again but I know that is expected.. This big toe thing though is interesting.. I asked my doc who said it was because of the bandages being on for so long but that it would eventually go away. I seems like that is not the case though.. how long have your bandages been off?
Oh by the way another poster "KB Team" also complained of the same problem so there are four of us now.. it must not be that uncommon.

Last edited by Teddie2; 05-02-2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: to add info

Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

My bandages have been off for 10 weeks...I don't think it has anything to do with being in a bandage too long.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
(female)

Teddie2 HB User

[QUOTE=lcweiden3132;3554332]My bandages have been off for 10 weeks...I don't think it has anything to do with being in a bandage too long.[/QUOTE]

I hear you.. that is what is concerning me -- he says that now but what if it continues.. Has your doc given any explanation? I have the scar on top of the toe big time as my toe had to be revised due to the fact it was twisted so my downward rom is very limited at the moment along with the fat pad.. yes I hear you. I only just started full weight on it though this past Monday so only beginning the process. I guess time will tell. If you find out anything more about it please post and I will do the same.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I am soooooooooooo fed up!!! I am sooooo done with this doctor!!! I don't think I"ll be going back...and she can forget that I'll be doing the other foot. It's got to be falling off before I get that one worked on.

OMG...so mad....furious....

Would you believe her response today was...."Let's just see what happens." Not kidding.

I've been having recurring pain in the foot at night...something that hasn't happened in a while. I've had aching, burning, throbbing, that has woken me out of a dead sleep for several hours. When I put my weight full on my foot I get a horrible tearing and burning sensation from the top of the second toe all the way down and across the top of my foot to below where the bunion was. Didn't ever have that.

Her response to that was "You are going to have that pain now forever because of the scar tissue."

I mean, it isn't like I haven't been telling her that my big toe is still pulling left and the second toe is pulling towards the big toe. It isn't like I haven't been telling her that I scar horribly...been telling her prior to the surgery and after as well. She jokes about how bad my scarring is and how she never thought I was telling her the truth! Now all of a sudden I'm going to have searing burning/tearing pain in my foot forever because of that scar tissue?!?!?!

Excuse me while I go throw a few things........

Old 05-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
(female)

Teddie2 HB User

She does not sound very sympathetic only pathetic in her response to you!
I so hear you but at this point I wonder if going to another doc would be helpful. IF you hear the same thing then maybe she has bad bedside manner but is right or else you might find there is so much more that can be done or is happening. IT is not as if this was the first time she has been this way with you. Particularly if you think you may need to have the other done at some point now may be the time to go searching.. I know what a pain it is to find a doc you feel you can trust. I went through that in making my decision and so far I am happy we will have to see in the long run but my doc has been responsive.
Sometimes they do the wait and see because sometimes that is what needs to be and they are not sure what is going on.. what can they do another exray? Not sure I mean we trust them .. this is their field and you would think they know their stuff..
If you look for a new doc. a good one will answer your questions and be patient. FOr me that is important to begin to trust. Clearly credentials are top priority. Docs that work as consultants to sports teams who teach are the ones who know the cutting edge about the profession. Call a nearby school of podietry and you should be able to speak with someone there to find out which of the teaching docs have a private practice.
I am so sorry to hear your frustration and hope you get some answers.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
(female)

KB Team HB User
Question Re: Swelling in ball of foot

I hear you guys, and I feel so bad for you. I still have a small bubble on the pad of my big toe. My doctor put me onMethylprednisolone, it is a six day pack where you decrease the number of pills each day. It did take down some of the swelling, but I still have some. I am six months out May 15th from a sesamoidedtomy. My doctor wants to do surgery to remove the scar tissue, but I am too scared to go thru it all again. I massage the incision and it feels better, but the pain comes right back after a little while. I can't believe that you doctor says you have to live with that pain the rest of your life. Maybe it does take 8 months to a year for the pain to go away. I am going to give more time instead of starting all over again. I wish someone would write to us when it starts to get better. We all need some straight answers. Hope you guys are feeling a little better. KB

Old 05-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

Is that Medrol that you were given?? I can't take that....it makes me *very* depressed. This swelling is the only thing preventing me from putting on shoes other than sneakers....it is very frustrating.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
(female)

KB Team HB User

Yes, the common name is medrol. It was a six day pack, six pills the first day and went down one pill each day until final day I took one pill. It did reduce quite a bit of the swelling, I didn't feel that great during the week, but it was worth it for me. I believe it is a predisone drug. Now today my foot has not hurt that much and it 1:30 on the west coast. I went to the library, but have not walked that much on it. It seems to be the worst in the evening. My doctor seems to think he can help me by removing the scar tissue along the incision. I'm just not ready to make that move and want to give it more time. My next appt with him is in June. Who knows!!!!! KB

Old 05-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

scar tissue can be a little painful, but not enough to notice all the time. its time to go to a new dr. the surgery for removal of scar tissue is not bad, but you have to wait about a year i would think. it will not remove all of it, just some. it can help if you do pt.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

My doctor gave me another cortisone injection (very small amount) right in the incision.....last time she did it she used more and the swelling and pain went down a great deal. She was sitting there trying to poke into the scar and she looks at me and says,"This is just so hard and thick...I'm having trouble getting the needle into it." duh...really?? Do I really have to do her job for her??? Anyway, this injection helped a little. But, like I said (maybe in another post or here) I have sharp,*****ly, electrical sensations from the top of my second toe to down across the scar to right in the middle of my arch. It happens when I try to flex the foot when I am doing ROM stuff. She's told me this will be what I have now forever. Is that true?? Is this what I'm left with after all of this mess??

Removing the scar tissue may not be an option for me because of how badly I already scar up. This doctor said she would do it, but not yet...which tells me that I'll have to wait maybe the year that someone else mentioned....but I don't think I want to do it, I think it will just grow back worse than it already is.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

are you sure you should be getting cortisone injections? i hope you see another dr.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

Cortisone injections are fine...I would get them before when I had pain in the joint. My first doctor would not discuss surgery with me and would give me the injections. I had 4 in the left foot, 3 in the right...over time (about 3 years). Each injection relieved pain for about 6 months or so, then I would go in and get another. With the last injection in the left joint, it didn't last but about 3 weeks. That is when I decided to do the surgery. When you look at my xrays there is no damage to the joints at all. About a month ago, I had cortisone injected right under the skin to help reduce the scar. If you go to a dermatologist, that is what they will inject into keloid scars to help them go down. When it is done under the skin it doesn't affect anything except the scar. Again, if you look at my xrays, the joints are fine. This second injection on the scar did help reduce the scar somewhat, but I still have a hard blob right over the joint.

As for the other doctor, I have a call in to another doctor. But, I am wary as I really don't like doctors. It took a lot for me to go to the one I ended up with and now with all the issues of the post surgery, and her not giving me any answers, I am wary of going to someone else. I don't know who to go to and if I can trust them. I have had such issues with doctors in the past - bedside manner, knowledge, compassion - I don't know who else to go to.

I just can't believe that after all that I have gone through I am left with constant nerve pain and a horrible scar. My doctor assured me (even showed me her own bunionectomy scar) that my foot would be fine, that my pain would be gone, that I would have flexibility in my foot/toes, that my scar would not be noticeable. I wish I could adequately describe my scar....let's see....imagine a crucifix on your foot....that's what it looks like! I have a small cross on the top of my foot. It is dark brown, it is ugly, it is raised, it is swollen, it is painful. it is stiff. How many of you at three or four months still have a huge scar on their foot?? Mine is two inches long, the cross line is an inch long going across the joint, and it is about a quarter inch in width on all parts...not to mention the raised quality of the thing.

(my foot has a Christian emblem on it, but my thoughts are not right now...)

Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
(female)

Teddie2 HB User

My scar is rather long about 3 + inches starting just below the joint of my big toe and down to the middle of my meditarsal (sp)
It is extremely thin and not raised at all except by my toe where they had to do an extra surgery to get the toe to untwist. I think my toe will always be stiff now not sure .. because they really had to do a lot of work on it and I am concerned about lots of scar tissue which really does effect flexibility.
You are three to four mths out? Not sure but I think it should not be so bad with all the work you have put into trying to get rid of it.
Going for a second opinion.. is just that though - another professional's opinion which you can accept or not but if they say the other doc is right then perhaps you have some confirmation if not then maybe more questions but at least you will know more than you do now. You don't have to do anything about it unless you want to.. see what someone else has to say. I think once you meet someone you can then decide if you feel they are trustworthy or not. DO you know anyone who has had this surgery before and can suggest their doc.. that was how I found mine.

Closed Thread