It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

Jump135 HB User
Flatfoot from hypermobility and tight achilles tendon

I have hypermobility syndrome (in other words, I have VERY hypermobile joints in all the joints of my body). I always had arches, but feet pronated severely when standing. I never had a problem until 3 years ago.
when I went walking around Boston for the day in some very rigid shoes.
I developed ptt in my right foot and what ensued was a long battle of findind a doctor that understood me, while not being arrogant or brushing me off. Anyway, the long and short of it is-my left foot is flattening out and I am beginning to feel all my weight bearing down on the inside of my foot-instead of on the whole foot, the way it should be. The doctor told me that I will have problems with my ptt in the future. My tight achilles tendon contributed to the problem. And my hypermobility made it worse. My future may hold surgery. It would be a calcaneal osteotomy, possible tendon transfer, and possible cuneiform wedge placement in the foot.

I had a subtalar joint implant put in my left foot 1 1/2 years ago. But it wasn't the right treatment for me. i.e., it didn't slow the progression of the deformity. My new doctor told me that my foot flattened out right over the implant, and that the implant was never a good option for me because it wouldn't work on the type of foot I have..

My question is:

Is there anyone out there who has hypermobility?

And is there anyone out there who's had a calcaneal osteotomy and/or tendon transfer --having hypermobile joints--and did it work?

Last edited by Jump135; 05-03-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Flatfoot from hypermobility and tight achilles tendon

Some people with hypermobility have what's called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a disorder in which your connective tissue doesn't work properly. You'd definitely want to find out if you have it, and, if you do, speak to a doctor who understands it well before contemplating surgery, as it might affect your outcome, or it might just require a different recovery plan.

Get multiple opinions, read all you can, and then decide. But, PTTD does tend to get worse as the years go by, so do address it as soon as you feel ready

Old 05-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
(female)

Jump135 HB User

Hi,
we have considered that as something I might have already...so far, no one has given us any real definitive answers.. except to say that I may have a variant of Elhos-Danlos Syndrome. If any one has this, or is aware of any of the complications involved with surgery and this syndrome, please, let me know. As of right now, I know that it lends itself to early onset osteoarthritis. And I am just 27. Female. So..

Old 05-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Definitely get more info. If EDS affects your skin, wounds might not heal as easily or well, so you might need tape instead of stitches, just for example. Your post-surgery physical therapy definitely needs to take this into account.

I suggest finding a doctor who treats EDS to evaluate you. It might take some effort to find one. Might be a rheumatologist, might be an orthopedist. (When contemplating serious surgery and uncertain, do get at least one opinion from a non-surgeon doctor, as you're more likely to get the downside).

Call major hospitals, especially teaching hospitals, in your area, ask the doctors you've already seen, find someone who specifically deals with EDS. I think I spent several entire business days just hunting down a better doctor, when it became apparent that the one I was seeing, who I really liked, was at a loss. Then, when you've figured out how hypermobility is affecting you, decide on foot surgery.

Closed Thread