It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
(female)

Teddie2 HB User
Ready for shoes after bunion surgery (lol)

So its been two months and my doc FINALLY says ok you are ready for shoes. My foot is still swollen on the top as well as the toe and under the toe. WHen I tried to get into a shoe it was tight but I made it in and he said I would be fine.. He added some support to the pad in my shoes which actually gave me even less room. I did not wear them as I did not have the mate.. I had brought in only left shoes so he could tell me which ones were ok... well when I got home later that day .. I could not get my foot into any of them from all the swelling of the day.. so there goes his theory that they were ok..
Now I have the task of buying something in the short term that is not too junky because I want good support but then again not too pricy because I am getting orthotics and don't know how the shoes will fit with the orthotics in them.
I am guessing I need a bigger or at least wider shoe for now.. but when you get orthotics do you need a half size larger anyway? He said sandals with good support on the bottom are fine (stiff sole with arch support) the top did not matter. I am thinking about getting some tevas for the short term..
Any advice. I know some people bought some inexpensive shoes for the transition.. but I am concerned about putting my feet into anything that is not a "good" shoe.. hope you all know what I mean..(good for my foot)

Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User
Re: Ready for shoes after bunion surgery (lol)

Ah...the "transition"....I'm *still* transitioning! ha ha.......Good to know someone else knows what its like.

I know that there are some that question using a cheaper shoe, but I just feel like that seemed the smarter route. The sneakers I bought are from Target, Champion brand. The have good support. I figured that I'll just change them out more often. But seeing as how my foot still swells, and how the other foot is normal, and that the surgery foot is a different size almost daily, this is what I chose. Believe me, I tried on TONS of shoes. When all is said and done, I think I'm going to get the Reebok's that I tried on. Although, when all is said and done, they may not fit right...so, we'll see. First I want to get where both feet fit the same sized shoe....Right now, I have one really thick sock (I got them at Target as well) and two socks on the other foot so that it fits well in the shoe. Right now that works for me. I don't even feel like I have shoes on they fit so well.

(Yeah, I love how the doctors say "You'll be fine." and your brain is screaming "I don't think so.")

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
(female)

jean2003 HB User

I am 4 1/2 months and I was released last week and the doctor told me I could do anything that I wanted and wear any shoe. I guess he doesn't have a clue how hard it is to get the foot in any shoe. I tried but the only ones I can get my foot in is the really comfortable shoes. I have to wear tennis shoes and shoes that my foot slips in. My feet are the same size, but I still can't get my foot to slide in many shoes. So I guess it takes time. Would be nice to hear from people that are 6 months and longer from their surgery date. The shoes that I can wear are the better shoes. Since my feet are the same size I guess I will be able to wear them later. Hope that your foot will do better and you will be able to wear your shoes very soon.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
(female)

Teddie2 HB User

You guys gave me a great big laugh.. about the cluelessness of the docs and this whole shoe thing.. you would think after treating hundreds of patients they would say yes your foot will continue to swell --- no it is AM so this shoe may fit now but forget later today.. get a bigger shoe.. It really is funny in a way but so frustrating.
Icweiden: I feel your pain.. Before the surgery I would go into DSW where there are hundreds of shoes and after two frustrating hours would walk out with nothing... nothing would be comfortable and not hurt.. flat, wide.. did not matter
Now it seems I am having the same issue.. unbelievable except this time I hope it is temporary..
I think I will take your suggestion and get a bigger pair of shoes.. Maybe even some pricer ones on sale and use the two sock method.. that makes the most sense. My H wanted to go work out today .. since I got the ok from the doc yesterday to swim and walk.. and I told him But I Dont Have Any Shoes.. wow..

Old 05-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

ha ha....go work out in slippers....no one is looking!

Yeah, the two sock thing is actually great...nice soft padding....look for the thickest ped socks avail at Target...they have a pink toe on them. Also GoldToe makes a really soft thick sock.

It seems all shoes are uncomfortable now....

a trip to DSW...now wouldn't that be nice. I *did* go to Shoe Carnival and found some fairly comfortable little sandals, with a very short wedge. Nice wide straps, fairly cute.....but, dangit!! My foot wouldn't fit...my other foot on the other hand was happy!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
(female)

Teddie2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcweiden3132 View Post
ha ha....go work out in slippers....no one is looking!
a trip to DSW...now wouldn't that be nice. I *did* go to Shoe Carnival and found some fairly comfortable little sandals, with a very short wedge. Nice wide straps, fairly cute.....but, dangit!! My foot wouldn't fit...my other foot on the other hand was happy!
OK then I will go in slippers (or my crocs) and you can hop along with a sandal on one foot.. one happy foot is better than none? My left foot is very jealous of my right

Old 05-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i hope you guys are useing compression socks for a regular shoe. keep trying to fit in your shoes. get a wider tennis shoes and try to wear shoes that tie right now so that compresses your foot.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

Arggghhh...I keep forgetting about the compression sock. I'm putting it on my list right now! That is such a good idea and I bet it will work great!

You're so funny Teddie! I wish we had feet smilies here.........that would be fun!

My left foot might be jealous of the right, but the right would like to beat the left one right about now.......

Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
(female)

Dark_Light HB User

I can't wait to wear my shoes, but it's true, in the morning, the foot isn't too swollen, but come 1pm, it's another story!

I am two month post-op and I am wearing my skate shoes like last time (Skate boarders’ shoe, very wide, cushion and flat), they are so wide, I am wearing my old size, in fact they are an old pair! But because it's been quite hot lately, I brought a pair or Mary Jane crocs, and they are so comfortable, I can wear them with jeans and skirts, but I am prone to blisters so I have to wear socks or footsies.

I would recommend sneakers, canvas type if it's hot weather, but shoes, I would wait until I am three moths post op. Once you reach the stage where swelling is minimal, you won't be able to stay out of the shoe shops, you'll try every pair on that you couldn't before, and you will admire the smooth contour where your bunion/s use to be!

Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I wish that was true darklight...I'm now 14 weeks and still can't admire the contour of my foot or get shoes on my foot....I feel like I've gone backwards actually. I'm back to trying on the widest flatest and old ladiest shoes like I did before the surgery. Every day I think more and more that this was the biggest mistake ever......

Old 05-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #11
(female)

Dark_Light HB User

Icweiden, I am really sorry to hear that. Although mine isn't entirely smooth, plus the slight swellin doesn't help, it just looks better than before. You really see improvement at 6 months post op. 14 weeks is still quite early.

I find shoes that are quite cushioned are the most comfortable, at 3 months it really hurt to wear my boots and some of my flat shoes, I also noticed my bump on the side was quite prominent at 3 months due to swelling.

Hang in there, I am sure you will see improvement soon. I do beleive my surgery was different to yours, and that may be a factor.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

Which kind of shoes are the "quite cushioned" ones? I can't seem to find any....they all seem rather slim padded, if at all.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
(female)

Dark_Light HB User

Skate shoes are cushioned, the most chusioned in my opnion, and when you add an insole, even better. The popular brand are DC, Etnies, some Vans are ok. I wear the Etnies, they are very wide, it was the Callicut style, the kingpin are quite wide also (Visit the Etinies website, they have some samples). Clarks are supposed to be good, don't they have some casual sneaker type of shoes? At 14 weeks I could not wear shoes, anything leather inside, it had to be cushioned and or padded like sneakers, so don't worry just yet.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i know how frustrating this is. sneakers and merrils should be first and then try slowly into a cute structured shoe or another slip on.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

Cool! I'll be a skater chic! A 43 year old, mom of two, spikey hair, skater chic.....minus the board...hee hee

Closed Thread