It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

skyhighifly HB User
Double Bunionette

Now that I finished my H&P appointment and the surgery date (June 9) is creeping up, I am getting nervous. Both feet are being done, but different procedures on each. The right will be osteotomy and the left foot will have the bump shaved off. If it doesn't work, then I just do the second surgery like originally planned in December. It's worth a try.

Got everything I need. After so many broken bones and two ankle surgeries, I am pretty good at getting by. Forget standing up, I just scoot on my butt inside the house! I'm 27 and pretty athletic which makes things a bit easier. Got tons of pillows and "stuck on my butt" activities. Plus I have a ton of vocabulary cards to cut and glue for work. I'll have plenty to do.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: Double Bunionette

Please keep posting, after your surgery. In the fall, I might have a bunionette removed and not many people post about that topic. I'll be gone all of July, so, if I don't respond right away, I'll look up your posts. I had a typical bunionectomy, on my left foot 5 months ago. Give yourself a good 4-6 months to heal, if not longer, especially since you are having both feet done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I agree, there really are only a few bunionette postings. I wish there were more too. 13 days until surgery. I'll keep posting.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

I had surgery on the bunion and bunionette on my right foot May 9th.
Oseotomy for both. Stitches were removed May 20th.
I had the bunionette for many years and just lived with it.

Last year I began having pain on the top of my foot. I went to
see my primary care doctor and he told me I had bunions. I
had no clue there was such thing as a bunionette, and really
was surprised to discover I had bunions on both feet. I really hadn't
paid attention to how "off" my feet appeared. Pain was the worse
3rd day after. Take the pain meds as often as allowed if needed. Within the week I was no longer taking the meds (they made me feel fairly nutty).

My setback occured after the stitches were removed. Now I know I was too active. My doctor said to let my foot be my guide. The foot wasn't saying much, so I kept walking around on it. Three days after the stitches were out
I was in excruciating pain, very nerve like. Went back to the doctor who said
the foot looked great (and it does!). The doctor had me go non-weight baring to let the foot recover. I did as he said, though I was very disheartened. I'm glad to say I'm doing much better. I will say it was the bunionette side (at the stitch site) that was the most painful. The surgical shoe I was given also was irritating the foot.

I have never had a broken bone or stitches so I was fairly clueless regarding what to expect. I know everyone has their own experience, but mine hasn't been too terrible compared to the other posts I've read. I don't know if this was helpful or not, but I'm glad I had the surgery. The pins are coming out June 5th. I should be in a shoe two weeks after that.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I am a little nervous about getting around because I was originally told 6 weeks NWB for the right foot. With the left just being shaved off, I won't have a good foot to stand on. I am sure they will both be pretty sore. The right will have screws if the doc sticks to what he said.

I have broken my arm and ankle, plus had ankle surgery twice. I have a fairly good pain tolerance. I know it is time to take the meds when I can no longer sit still. I get really wiggly when the meds begin the wear off and I should be taking more. Kind of a nice sign to have. My mom will be with me and she is great!

Went to pre-register today to get it over with. Seriously nice place and everyone was very nice. Whew! Still, I am nervous. Surgery isn't until 2pm (12:30pm arrival) so I plan to stay up late and sleep in. I just want it all to be over with... 11 more days, but not that I am counting or anything. Waiting is the worst, I am sure you know that.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

The waiting is the worst, I agree. You have a lot of experience in recovery so I think you will do great! When I was put on NWB (and I really couldn't put my foot down because of the pain) I used an old wheelchair we had. Using the wheelchair helped so much because using the crutches/walker was a chore, not to mention a bit scarey at first. You have past experience so this may not be an issue.
The most important lesson I learned was not to push it. When I could start ambulating on both feet I overdid it, though I wouldn't have thought going up and down the stairs 1x and shuffling from the bedroom to the kitchen would qualify. I have found the stitch site to be the most bothersome thing. My friends with experience say that is good because it means the site is healing. I had the surgery done because of discomfort, but here is what I hope is encouraging news.....my foot is slim and lovely (if you don't focus on the scars). Bad news is it makes my "good foot" look not so great. Keep yourself distracted until surgery aka do all the fun things you won't be able to later. Keep us updated.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I'm a teacher with 6 work days left and a lot to do during that time which will keep me busy since I teach special ed and will have to move classrooms. I have a ton of stuff to do to be ready as far as having a good supply of toiletries and basics. I have friends coming to visit and I am going to a wedding. I'll be busy.

I've known for a long time that I would eventually need bunionette surgery but kept putting it off. This winter snowskiing left my feet bruised from the pressure and after that they have not been the same. I skied 3 more times anyway, but each time I got bruised. Now just walking in flip-flops has soreness, not pain. I was hoping to put a few years between my ankle surgery and my feet, but that won't happen.

Got my handicap placard application signed today. Will mail it tomorrow. No way am I waiting around at DMV.

How is your recovery going?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

My recovery is going well. I'm a special education social worker, so I have great admiration for what you do and know you must have a lot to wrap up in addition to anticipating the surgery! I'm still not able to be out and about due to slow ambulation, but the pins come out a week from today and the following Sunday is graduation at the High School I work at. Half my case load are Seniors and I promised them I would be there. It will be my debut, and a great test of my coordination since the ceremony will be held on the football field. As I mentioned before, I think your past recovery experience will be to your advantage.
I was very unrealistic. I thought that if I could stand on my foot, then it should be ok to walk around on it......wrong.
What was I thinking? I have two broken bones (one that had a wedge cut out of it) with thin pins holding them together, and two incisions that had the stitches removed, but were by no means healed. Please keep me posted. Hopefully sharing my mistakes will be helpful.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I've got 6 second graders and a 4th grader who comes in or the morning. I teach deaf kids. We pair with a general ed class for PE, Music, art, and library. I love it even though it is hard.

With both feet, even though one is just getting shaved, I know ambulating will not be easy for a while. I hate that part. I am such an active person that sitting isn't easy. Got my handicap placard application signed and sent in. They gave me the full 6 months on the temporary. I told them I didn't need that long and was told to "just enjoy the convenience." I'm too honest though. I'll never be able to use it once I am well.

The funniest thing happened the other day. I was preregistering and as I was leaving the PA called out to me. I think it is weird how people just remember me. He is really cool and nice, so is all the other staff, which makes me feel better.

Good luck with those pins. My doctor said he would use a screw or two. I don't care what they use as long as it heals right. Enjoy the graduation. I am sure your students will be so happy to see you there.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

It is great you feel comfortable with the staff who will be making sure you get good care. Hopefully this next week will fly by for you. I'll be eager to know how your surgery and post-op went. For me the surgery was a breeze.
I was given a spinal, a foot block and I'm guessing Versed (sp?) in an IV.
I didn't want general anesthesia. I don't remember a thing!

My recovery is going very well. I think I needed the setback for a reality check. I'm back in my lovely "shoe", and am now using my foot to walk.
I can wiggle my toes, but the big toe is stiff, which is normal. I just now
checked my little toe (it is covered with the bandage). I manually moved it around with absolutely no pain. My free advice is to have fun this week, get out and see a movie or out to dinner and know that you will eventually be pain free. Ill let you know about the pin removal, but I think that should be a breeze. I can't wait to take a bubble bath!! Have a nice weekend.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

Paid my surgeon copay today. That sure did make all this more real. Ugh! Time is going way too fast for me. 6 days left (June 9). Luckily I continue to be fairly busy which is helping keep my mind off things.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:25 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Okay, now you're committed! I thought of something that I hope may cheer you up. When I was at my last MD appt. with my husband/driver, the doctor said "Just think, you'll need to get new shoes" thinking that would make me happy. What I didn't say, but thought to myself was "Yeah, but my 'good foot' which will eventually need surgery too, is still the same size". Since you are getting both feet done, you have many new shoes,like cute strappy sandals in your future.

I truly believe that your experience with ankle surgery will help you.
I've read other threads that mention rolling office chairs to get around. I had an ancient wheel chair to use when I had my set back. I only used it a few days, but it made life much easier. I also used a walker, which made me feel more secure. I have a pair of crutches, but I was such a disaster at pre-op crutch training that I knew I needed more stability, at least initially.

I know you're busy, so the time will fly by. Before you know it you will be on the road to recovery and "normal" feet!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I've thought about shoes a lot in the last few months. I desperately needed new shoes for work, but refused to buy them because I did not want to stretch them out. So, yeah, I am really looking forward to buying cute new shoes. The only problem will be finding the money to buy them. I wear a size 11 and cute ones, in my size, and for a good price are not always easy to find. (I'm 5'11")

As far a crutches, I'm pretty good. I live in a one bedroom apartment so I just scoot around. No use using crutches to go such a short distance. This will be my 5th time on crutches, but by far the longest at 6 weeks NWB, or so I was told. I was a gymnast and had some injuries.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Six weeks NWB will be challenging. Until I had my setback, I wasn't told to go NWB. I'm guessing that as osteotomies go, I had the least complex.
There are some great sites on the web for shoes (and you probably already know). I've spent a lot of time using my laptop. I was never a big computer person, but it has really helped. We bought it the weekend before my surgery when it dawned on us that the computer was upstairs, and our bedroom was downstairs, duh! I alternate reading, computer and crosswords.
I've tried to stay away from TV, keeping it as my last resort to relieve boredom. At four weeks I've been watching TV more often........

I know you may be in countdown mode, I certainly was the last week. By the day of the surgery I was more than ready. I had to wait an extra hour in my johnnie, so by the time the Anestheseologist (sp?) came in I startled her by yelling "Yeah!", I guess she was suprised by my enthusiasm for surgery.

I hope I will be in a shoe soon, though my doctor origianlly said I wouldn't be in one for 8 weeks. My foot isn't really swollen, and swelling has not been an issue for the entire recovery. I think what will be a problem is the sensitivity of the incision sites. The pins come out tomorrow, and my goal is to take a long, hot bubble bath.

Try to keep busy this weekend. Monday will fly by and then you will be on your way to recovery!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #15
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

Good luck with the pins. Bubble bath might have to wait a little longer though. You'll have a direct hole from the skin to the bone. That would not be a fun infection.

My mom is flying in Sunday afternoon/evening. We will go to dinner and then to the Titanic Exhibit (I live in Las Vegas) because she has wanted to the last two times she has come and we haven't made it yet. Then dinner and grocery shopping. We plan to stay up late and then sleep in because I don't have to be at the surgery center until 12:30. I'm not sitting around all day starving and thirsty. It is about 10% humidity here and I dehydrate really quickly. I was told I could have water up until 5am so you know what I will be doing at 4am, waking up and drinking a ton! I really am doing better as far as nerves go. My right foot has really been aching so I know I have to do this. That makes it a little bit easier. Anesthesia doesn't make me nervous, bone does. Long story. Maybe another time.

I have books, puzzles, word puzzles, movies, games, and tons of work, plus a sewing project. I figured out how to press the sewing pedal using my leg/thigh.

Closed Thread