It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Unhappy Very Frustrated

My story: Diagnosed with PTT in July 2005. Spent next four months in boot, then cast, then NWB and finally surgery Nov 05 where my surgeon transferred FDL tendon, grafted it to the PTT, performed calcaneal osteotomy.

During rehab, unknown to me or my doctor, I tore both peroneals. When my pain wasn't better by 6 months I had my hardware removed. When my pain wasn't better by 9 months post op my doc did another MRI and found the torn peroneals. Had that surgery Dec 06.

During rehab I sustained a 4th metatarsal stress fracture. 12 weeks to heal. Had a fairly good period but still had ongoing pain, this time in the joint. MRI in October 07 revealed inflammation in the joint. Series of cortisone which didn't help. February 08 had an arthroscopy/debridement where he found lots of scar tissue impinging the joint.

During rehab had a second metatarsal stress fracture. Slow to heal. Didn't show up on xray any longer (at 12 weeks) but I still feel slight pain. Am having another MRI next Thursday to make sure (given my good luck) that nothing else is going on and that the stress fracture has healed.

I am beyond frustrated. Every single time I have tried to rehab this foot something else has happened. I don't understand it. I ALWAYS follow my doctor's instructions, I am in good health, don't smoke, not a diabetic, don't have RA (asked for that test recently). The odd thing is that when I had my osteotomy my bone completely fused at 6 weeks. My scars heal really fast and with any other thing I have ever had I heal quickly.

Does anyone else have a foot that once it started going "bad", it just kept on going? I am seriously feeling like a freak of nature because I can't get past this. I think my doctor is frustrated, too, but no one is more frustrated than me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
(female)

Tracie1204 HB User
Re: Very Frustrated

I am really sorry for your frustrations. I can empathize with you, though I have not been through nearly that amount of surgery or rehab.
Hang in there----with all the research I have done, it does seem that there are a few people out there run into this problem---which stinks----but I really hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

taape HB Usertaape HB User

Sorry hear about your continued set backs with your feet. Good luck with your MRI next Thursday and I hope you get good news. You deserve it!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
(female)

andrea121 HB User

your story sounds all to familiar. I have had peroneal tenonditis after my last surgeryand am still not rid of it after almost a year. MY doctor just doesnt want to do another surgery since i have alread had three on just the one foot. i also had a calcaneal osteotomy and some other tendon stuff. MY bones seemed healed at first on both surgeries and now once again, i have a non-union. I am on my second bone stimulater, i am loosing hope that it will ever work. I also have arthritis forming in a joint where a lot of work was done. WE were going to try cortisone shots too, but now cant when my doctor discovered that my calcaneous once again is going backwards as far as healing goes. My doctor is really stressed about it too, he is used to having success since he is really good at this stuff. I really like him and he really cares about me i think. I know its hard. I am young and healthy and this last surgery i made sure to eat very healthy. I dont know whats wrong. I am beyond frustrated. I dont even know what to tell you, besides keep taking it one day at a time. that is all i can do anymore, and right now that is even hard for me. I am sorry emmie, frankly it sucks doesnt it

Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

yes, it does. But it does make me feel better (even though I am sorry for you going through what you have) knowing others have experienced similar things and maybe I'm not THAT freaky. Like you, my doctor is very good and very compassionate. But I know he's used to being successful which sort of makes you feel like you are a disappointment when you just can't seem to get there. Thanks to all who have responded. It really does help.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
(female)

clouth HB User

Emmie,
I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. Does your doctor have any idea why you keep getting the stress fractures? Have you been evaluated for osteoporosis and are you taking calcium/magnesium/vitamin D? Maybe it is time for a second opinion, not to necessesarily leave your doctor, but to see if someone has seen this happen before.

Best wishes on your MRI. You deserve an excellent report and some progress. I'm thinking of you.

Kris

Old 05-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nope, don't have osteoporosis and I do take calcium. I know the first one was my fault. I had hardly been walking after peroneal surgery and that day I went to a parade and walked WAY too much, then went to an after-parade party until late where I danced. I know it was stupid but never even thought about stress fracture as I had never had one. I was just so excited to be feeling good again. What happened with the second one was I had ankle impingement due to scar tissue so my joint was not functioning properly. When I had the debridement my ankle started moving. Once again, I was so excited that I guess I walked around on it too soon. Since it wasn't working properly before, I was now putting pressure on the second metarsal when I wasn't so much before since my foot wouldn't rotate down. So there was a biomechanical reasons for that one. I really like my doctor and so far have no reason to question my treatment but if I ever do, I won't hesitate to get a second opinion. I'm tired of this foot!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User

Hi Emmie: I haven't been around these boards for a while, so I was surprised to hear of your troubles just now... I am sooo sorry you have to deal with this. Hang in there.... your normally positive and upbeat attitude will help to get you back on track. Good luck with your MRI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post
yes, it does. But it does make me feel better (even though I am sorry for you going through what you have) knowing others have experienced similar things and maybe I'm not THAT freaky. Like you, my doctor is very good and very compassionate. But I know he's used to being successful which sort of makes you feel like you are a disappointment when you just can't seem to get there. Thanks to all who have responded. It really does help.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, guys. I'm sure I'll be fine...just had a down day. Trying not to freak out about the MRI. It's just that every time I've had one something different has shown up. I'm sure (well, hope anyway) this is going to show everything is healing as it should. I appreciate the support.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Very Frustrated

You have every right to feel frustrated, you know? I think it's even very good to get a bit angry... as long as you get over it and move forward. Getting angry can relieve the stress... I've used "anger" more than a few times over these last few years, that's for sure. It's a true release.....

I remember reading your posts over several months, Emmie, and you seem like a generally positive person... you will eventually be okay I think. In the meanwhile, this foot stuff "sucks," though -- having to have any surgery at all is the worst part. Our entire body weight rests right on our feet, so it's no wonder we can have problems. Gotta tell you a story: I saw a guy (about 25 -- half my age) while I was in Florida who was in a wheelchair (permanently) and he dropped his cell phone right on the concrete... it scattered everywhere in pieces. He began to cry and looked frustrated because he couldn't get to it to pick it all up, etc. My cousin looked at him and asked if he would like some help. He responded, "Yes, and thank you for asking. So many people just assume I can't do anything for myself and jump right in and take over. It's humiliating. This time I do need the help, though... and I appreciate making that choice for myself." He had just "had enough," you know? My cousin quietly handed him all the pieces... we talked for a little while then he thanked her profusely, and we were on our way. When I think of that, I know that my life is very, very, very good.... even if I still hobble a little when I walk. At least I can walk all on my own. It's terrible to have to go through thing after thing after thing.... like it never ends.... but at the end of the day, you still have the hope and the possibility that things may be normal once again. And even you if don't recover 100%, you know you'll be independent once again at some point. HANG IN THERE.... YOU CAN DO IT! p.s. Happy Memorial Day!

Last edited by hey19; 05-26-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I used the anger too...to propel me forward, to adapt, to create a new and different me....hopefully a better me too.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User

Yeah, I know what you mean, lc. I decided this thing wasn't going to get me down.... I was going to come out of it better than I went in.... in one way or another. So far, so good! I actually even got into a shoe with a bit of a heel the other night... and it felt sooooo good!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks so much, guys. As I look back even though I have had some ongoing problems I still am so much better than I was at one point...and certainly better than many, many people are. We have to take one day at a time when dealing with these kinds of issues and I just have to remind myself of that sometimes. Or you guys can remind me!

Happy Memorial Day to all!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hey19 HB User

A better you with better feet.... and, hopefully, some cute shoes! Yay, I actually had a bit of a heel on the other night. I thought I was prettttty cooooool.... LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcweiden3132 View Post
I used the anger too...to propel me forward, to adapt, to create a new and different me....hopefully a better me too.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

lcweiden3132 HB User

I actually found some very cute slip on sandals at Shoe Carnival...brand is, Andrew Geller. They are sooooo comfortable! I bought two pairs, one copper one black...both will go with everything. They have a slight heel and they look pretty. It is nice to get back to wearing regular, pretty shoes with nice clothes again.

On the flip side, I am *still* having sharp throbbing pain in that top joint no matter what I do (sit, stand, walk, rest) and it is continual throughout the day and night. Once it really gets going the whole toe and bunion area are hurting. I have an appointment next week with my doc as she doesn't understand why I have had a return of such pain at this point. So, I am a bit frustrated right now. I've had to cut back again on activities but that doesn't seem to help....I'm not happy right now. And, to top it off, I had to take a day off from work that I wasn't planning on to do this appointment...and my co-workers aren't pleased with that either. I wasn't planning to go back to the doc for several more months.

Closed Thread