It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

Teddie2 HB User
Pain when walking after 11 weeks post bunion surg

I have been in a sneaker for 3 weeks now and it still hurts pretty bad when I walk. The pain is in the toe mostly and when I bend the toe to push off. Its strange, when I stretch the toe at home forward and back with my hands it does not hurt at all but when I put weight on it and stretch that way it hurts. Not sure why. The doc is still not recommending PT just says walk as tolerated, swim and I can ride a bike. I tried swimming once and it was fine. Later that night though the walking really hurt and that is what is most painful. I can deal with this if I know it is normal. I think what is freaking me out a bit is that I see others doing so well after much less time and I am concerned that this is never going to get better.
The doc finally suggested the compression sock which does keep the swelling down but the pain is still there when I walk. He has been focusing on getting the swelling down so he can fit me for orthotics. He gave me a new inserts for my shoes on Monday and I still hurt on walking he tried building up the insert to get rid of the pain but it was not totally gone and so it suggested I give it 72 hrs to see if it calmed down and if not to come back. THe soonest I can go back is Tues if it does not calm down and I will but I wanted to get a feel for others experience with pain on walking. I don't mind the swelling as I know that will happen for a long time but I got this surgery to get rid of pain when walking and now I am concerned it will never go away and I will be worse than when I started. The doc took an exray and said the bones were filling in nicely and healing well. THe thing is all that soft tissue and tendons.. they cannot see that on an exray and they had to do some major stuff to mine. I know that can take even longer to heal and calm down.
I guess my biggest question goes to if it is normal and if so how much to push and how much to back off --Do others still feel pain on walking 3mths or more post.. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
(female)

dncergrl53 HB User
Re: Pain when walking after 11 weeks post bunion surg

Do you have a physical therapist that you trust? I would go anyway, despite what your surgeon says. In my opinion, surgeons minimize the important role a good physiotherapist can play. If you can walk, and even if you can't, there are exercises you can do to wake up the muscles and tendons in your feet and work on the range of motion: more so than being passive and less stressful than walking. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

Teddie2 HB User

Thanks.. My doc is very nice and if I ask him to send me he will so I will see what he says on Tues and ask him to give me a referral. You need a doc referral regardless PTs cannot treat without a doctors script and the insurance company would never pay. I don't think he is against it at all I just think he has been waiting for the swelling to come down. It is getting better so I will push it next week. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

it sounds like the insert is helping. dont back off because the swelling wont go away. did your dr say why you are having pain? 3 months seems a tiny bit long. are you wearing sturdy gym shoes?

Old 06-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

I had significant pain, in the toe area up until through the 4th month. It took 4 months to regain full ROM, so, the stiffness and swelling up until then was difficult, when walking. Even now, at 5 months, if I push my foot too far, it will ache some. I did aggressive PT, to regain full ROM. Deep tissue massage helps alot. Start massaging your scar deeply. Scar tissue causes alot of pain.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
(female)

Teddie2 HB User

It is strange how one day it does not hurt so much and then the next forget it! This weekend it barely hurt on Saturday.. I even wore a strappy low heel sandal when I went out for dinner the other night. DId not walk far just from the car into the restaurant and back but I thought I would not be able to step at all with it and it was fine.
It does seem to be a bit better and I think that is because I am stretching the toe as much as I can stand. I think the tendon is very tight (the one that goes under the arch to the toe) and that may be part of my pain. In the morning I stretch and wiggle it. I did wear the compression sock but hate it particularly in the massive heat we have had. I will go back to it but I also wonder if the sock squeezes the toes together and causes the toe to go out of alignment. Maybe that is why it was hurting me so much walking.. not sure but will try the sock again as it made a huge difference in the swelling. My foot after 11 weeks still has swelling at the top even in the AM after icing and night and resting it when I am sleeping.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
(female)

KathJack HB User

Are you still elevating? Icing is good, but whenever you're not on your feet, I'd also put them up until all of the swelling stops. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

Again....at 3 months I still had significant swelling and pain...as I tried to use my foot. ROM was difficuly, but I did PT and gradually worked through the pain the ROM caused. The 3rd and 4th month was spent gaining a 90 degree ROM in my big toe joint. Massaging the scar deeply helps increase ROM too. At 4 months, I still had pain, but no swelling, when I walked. I started to try running again, lightly, though I'd been swimming since the 3rd month, though standing on my foot, then, hurt. Now, at 5 months, if I overuse my foot, it will ache some by the afternoon. I jog now, but I don't expect to go for a long run for 2 more months. 3-4 months is early in the recovery process. The 5th month is a transitional time. I expect the 7-8th month will be when one is more fully healed. You are right on schedule. It's very important to get full ROM back. That is what I'd focus on right now. For about a month, my big toe joint pinched alot, when I'd walk, in the 3rd/4th month. That has subsided. All my swelling was gone by the 5th month.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
(female)

lg1006 HB User

My bunion surgery was on Dec, 5, 2008, and I too still have pain and swelling, mainly swelling. My toes look like little vienna sausages. I can only wear an extra wide tennis shoe, and am still not able to flex my foot when walking, so I have a constant limp, which causes pain elsewhere. I see where some of you are talking about PT. What kind of PT are you doing or have done? My Dr has never said anything about PT, and I had been wondering about it. I'm about to go out and purchase a foot spa to soak my foot in to see if that helps the swelling. He keeps telling me it will take time, and from the messages I've seen, that seems to be the case.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
(female)

sausage172 HB User

Hello. I know you had your surgery ages ago and I wondered how it all turned out. I had a kellers surgery eight weeks ago and am suffering with a painful and stiff big toe. It hurts to walk and I am still limping along. I'm hoping you can give me some encouragement! How long was it before you could walk confortably and normally please!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
(female)

lg1006 HB User

Hi, yes, I had my surgery in Dec 2008. I kept having pain and trouble walking flat on my foot (found myself walking on the outside of my foot) until I went to physical therapy. I STRONGLY recommend PT to anyone and everyone that has bunion surgery. Once I started doing that, and the main thing that MUST be done in PT is the therapist actually working on your foot. Stretching and massaging and bending your big toe and massaging the back of your leg right above the heel (that REALLY hurt), but made me realize that I had not been using it due to the awkward way I was walking. I finally got back some range of motion in my big toe, and then the stretching and stepping exercises they had me doing really made all the difference in the world. I think I should have been in PT from the beginning, but I wasnt, and from the posts on this board, I asked my Dr. about it and he said it would be a good idea. GO TO PT!!

Old 03-22-2010, 05:47 AM   #12
(female)

sausage172 HB User

Hi, did you have a Keller's bunion surgery? I am eight weeks post op and am still limping along. What you describe is the same as me. My big toe is quite stiff and painful and hurts when I walk. Please keep me posted on your progress as I am a couple of weeks behind you and getting a bit concerned.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
(female)

sausage172 HB User

thanks for that. I will ask doc about some pt.
Best wishes

Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
(female)

Geria HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddie2 View Post
I have been in a sneaker for 3 weeks now and it still hurts pretty bad when I walk. The pain is in the toe mostly and when I bend the toe to push off. Its strange, when I stretch the toe at home forward and back with my hands it does not hurt at all but when I put weight on it and stretch that way it hurts. Not sure why. The doc is still not recommending PT just says walk as tolerated, swim and I can ride a bike. I tried swimming once and it was fine. Later that night though the walking really hurt and that is what is most painful. I can deal with this if I know it is normal. I think what is freaking me out a bit is that I see others doing so well after much less time and I am concerned that this is never going to get better.
The doc finally suggested the compression sock which does keep the swelling down but the pain is still there when I walk. He has been focusing on getting the swelling down so he can fit me for orthotics. He gave me a new inserts for my shoes on Monday and I still hurt on walking he tried building up the insert to get rid of the pain but it was not totally gone and so it suggested I give it 72 hrs to see if it calmed down and if not to come back. THe soonest I can go back is Tues if it does not calm down and I will but I wanted to get a feel for others experience with pain on walking. I don't mind the swelling as I know that will happen for a long time but I got this surgery to get rid of pain when walking and now I am concerned it will never go away and I will be worse than when I started. The doc took an exray and said the bones were filling in nicely and healing well. THe thing is all that soft tissue and tendons.. they cannot see that on an exray and they had to do some major stuff to mine. I know that can take even longer to heal and calm down.
I guess my biggest question goes to if it is normal and if so how much to push and how much to back off --Do others still feel pain on walking 3mths or more post.. Thanks
YES! I'm 5 months post op and still major discomfort. Have 3 pins - all seem to be in place each time he operates. Still swollen. I'm ok if I know this is going to get better - I've heard some people take up to 6-12 months to heal... I have a strange pulling sensation across my big toe (bunionectomy) and my 2nd toe (shortened). Still really hurts after walking alot. Anyone else have these issues?????

Old 03-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
(female)

lg1006 HB User

I am over a year post surgery, and my big toe still has a slight pain sensation. Not as much as it did before I went to PT, but still. I cant emphasize the value of PT enough. I actually did 3 rounds of about 6 weeks each. The last 2 rounds, along with the exercises, included massages and manipulation by the therapist to get it to bend back and forth more freely, and that made all the difference in the world. I am just in the last 3 or so months able to wear some of my heels, and I have the Dr Scholls athletic inserts in all of my tennis shoes (which is what I wear most). This is a surgery that takes time to heal....a LOT of time.

Last edited by lg1006; 03-26-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Closed Thread