It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

Erin3394 HB User
Soft Tissue Mass in Foot

Hi Everyone.
Three weeks ago I went to my podiatrist due to a painful lump in the ball of my foot. The lump has been there for approx. 2 years and has gradually gotten bigger and more painful (it is now about the size of a ping-pong ball). After a MRI, he referred me to an orthopedic oncologist because it looked like a giant cell tumor or sarcoma. The ortho biopsied the mass, and thankfully it is benign. I am now three weeks post-op from the biopsy and still experiencing pain. I'm scheduled to have surgery to remove the mass next week. We still don't have a complete answer as to what this mass is. The pathology report says it appears to be a reactive process composed of fibrous, adipose and vascular tissues. The Dr. is confused by that though, because there is no history of an acute injury and it's been on my foot for so long. I'm nervous about this next surgery and the recovery since I'm still not walking properly and experiencing pain from the biopsy. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any input or advice? Thanks.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
(female)

dinkles HB User
Re: Soft Tissue Mass in Foot

Has your doctor mentioned plantar fibroma? That is what my soft tissues masses turned out to be. They eventually got larger and much more painful. I had surgery to remove them 3 weeks ago. In fact, getting the stitches out today. The surgery was the easy part as others told me. The recovery has seemed a lot longer than 3 weeks. As far as the continued pain from the biopsy, I would ask your doctor. I have been told that the pain I am still experiencing is because there are a LOT of nerves in the foot so that may be why you are still experiencing pain. But ask your doctor to be sure. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Hang in there. It will get better. Let me know how you do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
(female)

Erin3394 HB User
Re: Soft Tissue Mass in Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkles View Post
Has your doctor mentioned plantar fibroma? That is what my soft tissues masses turned out to be. They eventually got larger and much more painful. I had surgery to remove them 3 weeks ago. In fact, getting the stitches out today. The surgery was the easy part as others told me. The recovery has seemed a lot longer than 3 weeks. As far as the continued pain from the biopsy, I would ask your doctor. I have been told that the pain I am still experiencing is because there are a LOT of nerves in the foot so that may be why you are still experiencing pain. But ask your doctor to be sure. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Hang in there. It will get better. Let me know how you do.
Thanks for your reply. He has not mentioned plantar fibroma specifically. Can you have those in the ball of your foot? I've heard of them in the arch. Since I've been told everything from cancer to scar tissue from an injury, it's been quite a roller coaster ride! I'm just ready to be done with it. One more question - how long were you NWB? The surgeon says I only need to be NWB for a couple of days, then I'll be in a surgical boot (similar to what happened after the biopsy). There will be a large incision on the bottom of my foot, and others on the board seemed to be NWB for longer from similar surgeries. Thanks!

Closed Thread