It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

CMG3881 HB User
Pain in Right Foot

Lately I've had some severe pain in my right foot that is now making it hard to walk on it. That ankle too has been giving out on me but it's never been this bad. I don't have health insurance yet but plan on getting it soon. I also had broken a toe (in the actual foot part) several years ago and it healed very funny. Is there anything I can do to help relieve the pain in my foot?

Old 06-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Pain in Right Foot

I'm going to do something crazy: DON'T see a doctor. Not until you have insurance, not unless it reaches the point of being an emergency. If you seek medical attention before the insurance kicks in, it's a pre-existing condition and not covered for 11 months.

Okay, enough financial advice, more with the medical stuff.

It sounds like you may have a couple different problems. Where exactly is your pain? When does it bother you the most? Does it hurt with every step? Does it hurt when you are not walking?

Regarding the ankle weakness: Do you have a history of sprains? Do you wear a support? (My lace-up brace from Modell's Sporting Goods was my best friend for a long time). Have you tried some exercises? If you have pain in your ankle, where exactly is it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
(female)

CMG3881 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
I'm going to do something crazy: DON'T see a doctor. Not until you have insurance, not unless it reaches the point of being an emergency. If you seek medical attention before the insurance kicks in, it's a pre-existing condition and not covered for 11 months.

Okay, enough financial advice, more with the medical stuff.

It sounds like you may have a couple different problems. Where exactly is your pain? When does it bother you the most? Does it hurt with every step? Does it hurt when you are not walking?

Regarding the ankle weakness: Do you have a history of sprains? Do you wear a support? (My lace-up brace from Modell's Sporting Goods was my best friend for a long time). Have you tried some exercises? If you have pain in your ankle, where exactly is it?

The pain is right where the break was on my foot/toe. And it is does hurt with each step. I will also get severe cramps during it too. It also does hurt when I'm not walking and just sitting...that's when the cramps start.

My ankle has been injured several times and I was told that if I had one more major injury to it then I would have to have surgery on it to fix it. I have broken that ankle 2 times and had injured the ligaments numerous times from playing sports and dancing. I've even gone from wearing flip-flops to tennis shoes all the time.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Okay, that doesn't sound too good. It might be that you really are going to need surgery, either to the ankle ligaments, the toe, or both, to see any substantial improvement in your foot. Still, until you get treatment, wear good quality, well-fitting sneakers and an ankle support. Ice the foot sometimes, see if any stretching or rubbing will relieve your cramps.

And don't be afraid to walk with a cane. The proper way to do it is to put it in the opposite (left) hand. It should be short enough that your elbow is almost straight, lean on it slightly as you step on your right foot.

Let us know how things go for you.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
(female)

CMG3881 HB User

Thank you Jane. I will let you know. I'm actually trying to get medicaid now since I don't have any income in my household and I have a 4 year old too who gets very sick all the time. So when I do get it (which I have already been told I've been approved) then I will have it checked out. Thanks again...and I'll let you know.

Have a great evening.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

One thing: The brace, I just realized, might worsen the pain in your foot by pinching near it. You might do better with an aircast that doesn't affect the foot at all.

Closed Thread