It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

itsanewme HB User
how long does the big toe stay numb after osteootomy?

Will it be numb for at least 6wks?
but the foot will be fully functioning?

Old 06-19-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: how long does the big toe stay numb after osteootomy?

I'm six weeks post-op. My toe is still stiff, but ROM exercises are helping. I have numbness only on the scar site. Everyone heals differently. How far along are you in your recovery? I seemed to experience the most progress once the pins were removed (I had bunion and bunionette osteotomies on right foot). I'm switching to a real shoe tomorrow and I think that will give the toe a workout. My doctor said the surgical shoe acts as a splint and limits toe flexing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2008, 05:05 AM   #3
(female)

itsanewme HB User

Hi Jane
Is your toe still numb?
Its 4 wks today that I had the surgery. Doc wants me in the boot (although Ive been wearing the surgical shoe in the house) for another week. Following week boot outside, sneaker inside the house. The following week he says I should be able to wear sneakers. Wondering though when feeling will return in the toe?

Old 06-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

The toe is numb on the scar on top. The bottom has feeling. I found that after the pins came out (week four) the foot/toe began to feel more normal.
Ask you doctor what the average patient's experience is with numbness. I do know that my foot isn't accustomed to being walked on normally yet. I think that is because the toe can't balance me as well yet. The bunionette side is still a little swollen and numb, and that feels weird when walking on it without a shoe. I wonder if swelling makes the area numb (thinking out loud).
The nerve endings are still reconnecting, so they may need a bit more time to get the "feeling" message through. How is your ROM?

Old 06-19-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
(female)

chic43 HB User

I'm 5 months post op. My scar and the side of my toe were numb for what seemed a long time. I think, if I remember, right at about 3 months was when I noticed that hey! it isn't numb anymore. That numbness just seems so disconcerting some how, doesn't it?? I think that freaked me out more than anything. I guess you think that something is wrong, but actually it is good cause whatever they put in there to numb it gives you the ability to not have any pain there....I'm for that!!

As it is right now, the very top area of my scar is still numb....a very small area, but still numb.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i think i remember my toe and incision were numb for a long time. i would say that it had to have been months.

Closed Thread