It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Question How Long Before Your Foot Felt "Normal"

How long after surgery did your foot feel completely normal, without any weird feelings at all?

I had morton neuroma surgery 3 weeks ago and my foot still has a weird feeling. It feels somewhat like it did before the surgery, like I have a bunched up sock in my shoe.

My pod says the incision is still healing and the entire process may take up to a year, but I should start feeling like I have a normal foot with no funky feeling within 3 months. Sure hope he's right. I would be mighty disappointed otherwise.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 06-19-2008 at 05:58 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancinboots For This Useful Post:
carolynrbn60 (05-15-2012)
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
(female)

SCYogini HB User
Re: How Long Before Your Foot Felt "Normal"

I had an Austin/Youngwick bunionectomy for Hallux Limitus in November. I think my foot felt "normal" at about 4 months. At 5 months I went on a hiking vacation and hiked for 9 days. Now, at 7 months, my foot feels good most of the time. If I push the toe for greater range of motion, it hurts. I have adequate ROM for most activites, but is is not like my other foot. I also think there is still some swelling on the ball of my foot because when I compare the two, the operative foot looks slightly thicker. The most obvious swelling on the top of my foot went away in about 4 months. I was released from the doc at 14 weeks and was participating in all activities I had before surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
(female)

chic43 HB User

I had a bunionectomy with osteotomy and am now 5 months post op. The majority of my swelling is gone, although I seem to still have some if I sit at my desk doing work...and I noticed I still have some of that post surgery discoloration when I stand....but, doc said that was normal. I don't have hardly any pain, except in the big toe between the bunion joint and the tip of the toe...feels like it is in the bone, but I don't know for sure. My ROM is pretty good as I can stand on my tip toes, but that seems to irritate the big toe pain. But regular walking doesnt' hurt. I think the pain and swelling issues must be one of slow decrease, sort of from the bottom up over time...at some point pain/swelling might only be in the top to the toe and then eventually gone.

I had some tendonitis in the arch and ball of the foot recently, maybe from the foot finally getting the idea that this is the way it is now. I've taken some Celebrex and wear an elastic sleeve to relieve that and it has helped alot...within a week it has mostly disappeared.

The first thing in the morning is probably the worst as everything is very stiff....but I'm also 43 so things are bound to hurt these days . But a bit of stretching, massaging, and the elastic sleeves seems to relieve that within about 10 minutes of initial walking.

I agree that the ROM of the surgery foot is not anything like the normal foot...and I think that is just the way it will be. Although, I was not made aware of that fact before surgery so it came as a shock and disappointment. But, I think that my feet were over-flexible to begin with which may in fact have caused the bunion issue in the first place. So, a decrease in my ROM might actually be a good thing. I had one doctor tell me that because I was hyperflexible he would have actually FUSED my foot and higher up in the foot....so, I'm glad I did this surgery which was less invasive but had a similar outcome....reduced flexibility.

And, lastly, my scar has decreased quite a bit, is much more flexible and flat, but I still have two small areas that are still tender...but again, over time that will be gone. I used ScarGuard on the scar and that helped tremedously.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

Thanks for the replies...it sounds as if the average for recovery is 4-5 months. I am assuming the incision has to heal from the inside out which is why it takes a while. I guess if there was a guarantee that in time my foot will feel "normal" I wouldn't be concerned, ,but there are no guarantees in life so all we have is faith in what our docs are telling us. Let's hope we all have made the right choice for surgery..There's no turning back now.

Sharon (hopefully this will be all of us soon!!)

Closed Thread